'the healthcare industry career' - I desire to be a Physician's Assistant

vil2125 1 / -  
The question asks us what motivated us to be a PA. My essay is as follows:

"LAUREN VIEIRA!" The medical assistant called my name and I bounced out of my seat into the doctor's office, my mother running to keep up behind me. "Mom, am I seeing Kathy today?!"

For as long as I can remember, a career in the healthcare industry has been my greatest aspiration. Unlike most children, my trips to the pediatrician were waited for with anticipation; I attribute this to my excellent Physician's Assistant, Kathy. Every time I came into the office she greeted me with a smile, made my trip to the doctor enjoyable, and always put my worries at ease. As I entered my teen years, I developed a profound respect for Kathy for her professionalism and honesty. She always made me feel like I was a part of the healthcare team by keeping me actively involved in all of my treatments. Her approach to me as a patient was remarkably comforting and something I hope to emulate as a Physician's Assistant. I plan to begin shadowing Kathy in the winter months to gain even more insight into the career.

I often spoke with Kathy about my interest in the medical field. Upon graduating high school, I was torn between a career as a Pharmacist or a Physician's Assistant. After seeking advice from pharmacists, researching the profession and spending a year as a pre-pharmacy major I decided that was not the area of healthcare I was truly passionate about. I was passionate about being directly involved in patient care. This led me to declaring a major in Biology at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. This university has challenged the way I think, learn, and apply my knowledge. I have encountered some truly great minds at UMass Dartmouth who have inspired me to think outside the box.

"We all just really want to know someone cares." These are the words of a resident I care for at Emeritus Senior Living. Although the words are simple ones, they ring true. Not only have I gained valuable medical experience as a Certified Nursing Assistant but I have had a chance to make a difference in the lives of the residents. This, to me, is priceless. All of the residents I care for know the CNA's can take their pulse, check their blood pressure, or assist them with daily tasks but what they prize above all else is a real sense of compassion. This is true for them and for anyone who comes into a doctor's office. We all want to be sure that our doctor or Physician's Assistant has the knowledge to provide exceptional healthcare but just as important is the feeling that we are truly cared about. My experience as a CNA has not only provided me with basic healthcare skills but has given me the ability to connect with patients; this is crucial as a Physician's Assistant.

My relationship with Kathy, my patient care experience, my love for science, and my passion for the medical field have reaffirmed my decision to become a Physician's Assistant. I desire to pursue a career that I know I will excel in because I am excited about it. I desire to reassure my patients. I desire to make a difference in their lives. I desire to make changes in the field of medicine. I desire to become a Physician's Assistant.

Thank you for considering me as a candidate for your program.
Sheri_Editor - / 14 9  
You have an amazingly unique approach to this essay. I don't know if the opening dialogue is appropriate for a graduate essay, but I can say that you immediately capture your reader's attention. For this reason, I am leaning toward the recommendation to keep the dialogue.

You have succeeded in conveying why you want to be a PA. You do not simply focus on verbiage that directs the reader to "me, me, me"; instead you use illustrative prompts that explain by example. Now, think about that term -"example." A good PA sets a good, positive example. You've done that in your essay.

Your essay indicates you have witnessed the positive traits of a good PA; you have received feedback from actual patients on what they want to see from their medical care providers; and you understand that you must meet those expectations to succeed as a PA. This tells me that you are ready to take that step. You have also created a well-rounded essay that pays careful attention to word choices.

Good job!! Apart from making sure the opening dialogue is acceptable for the specific facility to which you are applying, I do not recommend changes. You should be proud of this essay!

Home / Graduate / 'the healthcare industry career' - I desire to be a Physician's Assistant