healthcare provider with training in various subspecialties-PA school narrative essay

alicialenette 1 / 3  
"One? Two? Which lens is better as we compare, lens one or lens two?", the Optometrist asked me. The choice I had to make was not such an easy one while hearing the distracting sounds of cash registers beeping in the background of my local Walmart's eyecare center. At this moment, my mother trusted me to be truthful and compliant. Did I possibly have the power to sway the results of my eye exam in my favor? I really wanted some glasses. My decision making abilities were hindered. "Which lens was better?", I asked myself. All I could think about was how impressive his clinical skills were. I wanted to understand what he was doing when he asked me, "One or two?" Looking back, I now realize it was at this moment at the age of thirteen that I became enlightened about the many opportunities available in the medical field.

Before this moment, I thought the medical field only consisted of surgeons, pediatricians, and nurses. However, I began to pursue my interest in becoming some sort of healthcare provider. Upon researching career options, I discovered physician assistant medicine on a satisfactory career option list. I learned that a physician assistant works under a medical doctor as an extension of primary healthcare in multiple medical settings. Their career training levels varied from bachelor's degree to master's degree, a plus; knowing I wanted to obtain healthcare training in a shorter amount of time than what was offered in medical school. So, I kept this choice in the back of my mind. I thought I wanted to be an Optometrist, but after working as a medical assistant for an Ophthalmolgist I became attracted to the medical side of eyecare. This included the preoperative and postoperative aspects of patient care. Yet, my abilities were limited as a medical assistant. This led me to shadow various physician assistants; I desire to become a physician assistant indefinitely. My motivations towards becoming a physician assistant are based on the desire to practice medicine with autonomy amongst a medical team in various healthcare sectors in order to serve at the highest level of patient care.

If seeing is believing, then shadowing has been a catalyst for my motivations. I observed the conflict of surgeons and doctors having massive work loads engendered by their large patient base. This created a need for more medically trained practitioners with hopes of reaching patients who would otherwise be on long waiting lists or delayed appointment schedules. These physician assistants were very busy. If there was a medical problem that was observed during the examinations, the physician assistant had the jurisdiction to provide treatment in addition to gaining insight from a supervising physician who would be contacted via cell phone or email. The patients medical problem would be addressed efficiently. This self governing aspect of this career is very attractive to me. Yet, I love the fact that physician assistants discuss medical findings with their supervising physicians in order to maximize patient care.

Fortunately, I have been able to shadow many physican assistants in transplant centers, sports medicine clinics, pediatric orthopaedic clinics, and operating rooms. The physician assistant mentor list for my state covers almost every subspecialty of medicine, even Ophthalmology. I am motivated by the fact that once my medical training is complete if a change of subspecialty is desired, it is possible to switch to a sector of greater need such as the Primary Care sector.

I am excited about finishing my pursuit of physician assistant medical training which will allow me to fulfill my desire to become an excellent healthcare provider with training in various subspecialties in order to diagnose, treat, and educate patients about medical decisions reviewed by an integral medical team of which I will be apart.
lindset2008 1 / 1  
Hi hi!
VERY GOOD. best I've read on this site in my opinion.
just a few things:
1. you define the role of a PA a few times; is that excess wording? Obviously, the schools know. once could add to show that you know what your getting into but 3x and talking about how they work as a team like 5x over might not be necessary.

2. Which subspeciality are you interested in? You show passion about Optometry earlier-- be clear and consistent. If not anymore, then why? (It's interesting, and shows a thought process!!-- PA schools want thinkers & doers!)

3. None of this is necessary/ may be repetitive (lengthy already.. not sure what your character count is @, probably pretty high up there!): I am excited about finishing my pursuit of physician assistant medical training which will allow me to fulfill my desire to become an excellent healthcare provider with training in various subspecialties in order to diagnose, treat, and educate patients about medical decisions reviewed by an integral medical team of which I will be apart.

Good Luck!! Good job!! Mind I ask, where are you applying?

(And if you have time do you mind reading mine as well, although it is not nearly as good as yours!)
OP alicialenette 1 / 3  
Thanks for the feedback. This is such a hard essay to write. You know how you know what you want to say, but you want the words to fit the emotion. Huh, well I'll keep revising.

I am applying to Emory, Medical College of GA, Mercer University, South University, South Carolina, Jacksonville-NOVA, and maybe Barry (Virgin Islands) PCOM, Salus, Chatham, Duke, NC Wingate, San Antonio... I don't know... I will apply to as many schools as my money will allow. I have to get in 2012.
jdfox38 1 / 4  
I really like the beginning..very original
I think it might be beneficial to use a specific example when you were shadowing that had an impact on your decision to become a PA. This would make the essay more personal and add that emotion you want.

Other than that it is a very good essay. Good luck!
Don't include a wishy washy sentence:
However, I began to pursue my interest in becoming some sort of a healthcare provider. ---Making that small change makes it less wishy washy.

Upon researching career options, Streamline, cut the fluff.

I discovered physician assistant medicine on a satisfactory career option list. I learned that a physician assistant works under a medical doctor as an extension of primary healthcare in multiple medical settings. Their career training levels varied from bachelor's degree to master's degree, a plus----Hey, don't just describe the profession to them. I think you should cut this part:

a physician assistant works under a medical doctor as an extension of primary healthcare in multiple medical settings It sounds like a vocabulary lesson.

If Seeing is believing, and shadowing has been a catalyst for my motivations.

apostrophe: The patient's medical problem would...

:-)

Home / Graduate / healthcare provider with training in various subspecialties-PA school narrative essay