Need help on PhD Statement of Purpose - civil/environmental engineering

axelhead 1 / 1  
Hi!! Can someone give some feedback/tips on my statement of purpose for PhD in Civil/environmental engineering?? Thank you!

My interest in Civil Engineering was sparked during my first undergraduate course at xyz. It was there that I was introduced to a wide range of subjects, inside and outside the field, such as fluid mechanics, hydrology, waste management and environmental engineering. But it was the field of environmental engineering that particularly captured my interest. The desire to delve deeper into this timely globally important subject drove me to pursue my MS in Civil Engineering with emphasis on environmental engineering at abc. I came to realize that although traditional environmental studies have been under the domain of Civil Engineering in the past, the increasing complexity and magnitude of the world's environmental problems has resulted in a growing need for skilled professionals who have studied disciplines other than just civil engineering.

ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE:

My dedication and commitment towards education until high school helped me beat the competition for admission in to one of the top tier colleges under Anna University. I took this opportunity to learn more about my childhood fascination, Civil Engineering as my major in undergraduate program, B. E (Bachelors of Engineering). Owing to the highly competitive and advanced curriculum, I have always maintained my GPA to be one among the top 2% of the class throughout the undergraduate program. I had the opportunity to attend voluntary "Survey Camps" to learn the latest technology used in the industry; perform extensive laboratory experiments and design projects to challenge my knowledge in the real-world scenarios. I am happy that my learning during my undergraduate program extended beyond class room and I had a chance to visit several engineering sites, met several experienced engineers on-site and learned about the new technological advancements the engineering arena. My visit also made me think about the untapped research area of fine aggregate replacement in concrete. With the inspiration, I undertook a project titled "Validating the Sand Mine Waste for Construction" to renew the river sand.

Graduate study a sequel to undergraduate study opens up newer avenues to explore and gives one a wider range of career objectives. I pursued my passion to obtain a Master's degree in Civil Engineering after working for nearly 2 years and I was excited to be admitted at abc. During my first semester at the university Dr. hkh offered me a project to work on which I accepted with delight and that project with some new ideas I have implemented on became my Masters project work. We conducted a study on the "Effects of Biosolids/ Soil Mixture on Vegetative Growth and its Management using Geographic Information System". The aim of this study was to determine the most productive biosolids/ soil mixture based on vegetative growth for the use as final cover at the gfrt municipal landfill or for use as a growth media along roadsides.

EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:

I participated in plays and dances during my early schooling and continued into my undergraduate days where I was a part of our college short film team, which has won "Third Prize" at "Saarang", a National Level Cultural event conducted by "Indian Institute of Technology, Madras". I was a member of the Student Association of India at abc and I helped design and organize the video presentations displayed for the "India Night" event. I also volunteered for events like "Rolling on the River" and "Feed a starving child" during my days at the university.

WORK EXPERIENCE:

I was one among 21 finalists who was selected for "Graduate Engineer Trainee" at yhgt, a well renowned construction company in southern part of India. I worked in the department of Quantity Surveying and Planning on a project "Two Level Grade Separator". While working on the field, I handled real-time constructional issues with minimal supervision. Towards, end of my trainee program, I have submitted detailed reports to my supervisors by highlighting the scope, objectives, process, future work and conclusions. I started working as a SAP Environmental, Health and Safety Consultant with a small firm based in mnop. My responsibilities involved configuring Enterprise Resource Planning software systems used for Hazardous Substance Management, to ensure that the hazardous substances used are handled within regulations and EPA guidelines. Monitored updates in the regulations and updated them in SAP to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local environmental, health and safety regulations/requirements. Interpreted, and communicated regulatory requirements to effectively identify solutions. Developed and implemented EHS management systems to integrate into the business operations.

FIELD OF INTEREST:

My field of interest in civil engineering is environmental engineering which has gained lot of prominence in recent years both in India and abroad. This interest has intuited me to take courses like Environmental Science and Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Engineering Drawing and Environmental Engineering Laboratory during various semesters of my undergraduate program. I took a step out of my classroom to learn how it works in the real world and hence I visited the city's water and sewage treatment plant. My curiosity for environmental engineering further led me to pursue my Master's at abc where I learned the advanced concepts in wastewater treatment, solid waste handling, hazardous waste management and designed systems to provide solutions on-site.

Now at this junction of my career, I am confident that when I make the transition into doctoral program, I will be building on a strong foundation gained in the past years. I believe at the graduate level I would get frontline exposure to the technological advances made in the field and allow me to be a part of the cutting-edge research. The department of Engineering and mines at the abc with its excellent research facilities combined with distinguished and dedicated best represented the environment I want to pursue my PhD in Civil Engineering. With my theoretical knowledge and practical skill gained through years, I bring with me the dedication and motivation to learn more about the field of "Environmental Engineering". I hereby request the admissions committee to favorably consider my application for admission with possible financial assistance.
Pavankumar, this is a unique method of presenting your SOP. Were you asked to outline your discussion in this manner? Or did you just opt to use this presentation? It would be better if you don't use subheadings and just offer up a straightforward essay. The reviewer knows what he is looking for in your data so the outline is only a distraction for him. Additionally, you can remove the reference to extra curricular activities in this essay. It is not a requirement for a PhD course. You should also summarize your college education into 2 or 3 sentences. The focus of your educational background should now be on the masters education that you received and the internship your were invited to attend. Place our field of interest at the topmost of the essay. Let me show you how I would arrange your essay to better suit a PhD application:

1. Field of interest
2. Academic excellence
3. Work experience and potential problem to be addressed
4. Dissertation summary
5.. Why XYZ university?

These are the only required and vital information that relates to your application. Deliver these information in the revision and you should be ready to go.
OP axelhead 1 / 1  
Thank you Holt for your input. I will make those changes and update my essay.

Home / Graduate / Need help on PhD Statement of Purpose - civil/environmental engineering