Homeless situation - personal statement

training4grad 1 / 3  
Hi,

I am applying to graduate school and I have a question about the personal statement.

First, let me explain that I used to be a homeless youth from ages 14-18. I quit school early on, and then eventually decided that I needed to change my life. I attained my high school diploma, achieved outstanding grades and then applied to obtain my BA degree. I wasn't so great for my first year and a half, but the last 70 credits or so, I obtained around a 3.7 GPA. My question is, I never told anyone at my Undergrad school about my situation because I didn't want to be treated differently. I overcame a huge obstacle and it felt fantastic! However, now I find myself questioning whether I should write this in my personal statement. Is this a disadvantage? How can I find out what the Graduate Committee feels about these situations? I'm afraid that I will not get accepted if I do, or I wil not if I don't.

Your advise in this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Rich Monte 2 / 94 2  
You should definitely describe your homeless situation - that will be a winner, believe me :).
zowzow 10 / 175  
if you spin it right
its like a hollywood story - homeless to getting a uni degree and pursuing grad and doing great things

just make sure you don't make it sound like you're whining or expecting some sort of extra credit/help for it, rather make sure you emphasise the challenges that you overcame and the better person you became for it.

good luck
I SO agree with Rich, as everyone loves a dramatic story with a happy ending...or new beginning, I should say!

Good luck in school!

:)
OP training4grad 1 / 3  
I should think so, and I do, however there is a small part of me who thinks they will judge me in a negative light. Not sure why ... is there anyone who knows someone who had this experience and successfully gained entry into grad school?

Thanks for responses thus far!
I don't know of anyone particularly, with this background, but the thing is, it really is a huge accomplishment. The reason some people look down on those of us whose backgrounds are humble is that they indulge in taking pride, illogically, in their lofty backgrounds and established family names, etc. It's a simple process to understand: people born into comfort want to feel proud, just like everyone wants to feel proud, so historically the upper class has sometimes looked down on the lower class because of a slip of the mind, a bit of self-deception. You can't take pride in having been born into an established family unless you pretend that it is a virtue, and so you have to also pretend that people born into the lower class somehow lack virtue.

The people who read this essay are likely to be above such a lack of self-awareness.

If you want to be sure not to be judged harshly, though, make sure to write a brilliant essay! :)
logitech 3 / 9  
I agree with ZowZow. You should show this experience not to have people to show you pitty but envy your accomplishment! "the challenges that you overcame and the better person you became for it."

I almost lived one year on the streets while studying for my university entrance test and I might understand how you feel! I am sure most of the people will be amazed your success when you are done with your essay.

Best of luck!
OP training4grad 1 / 3  
I would like to thank everyone who answered to this topic. However, after discussing this with a professor, I decided not to include this in my personal statement. He advised against it. The following is what I have, could someone read it over and maybe suggest something? I think it's missing something? Thanks!

Personal Statement

It was a cold autumn afternoon in the south shore of (city, state). A young girl walked door to door, trying to help a cause she believed in. She managed to grab the attention of some, explicating the plight of endangered wildlife, motivated and determined to help a cause she recently learned about at school. With vigor and excitement she asked for donations to go towards helping a national environmental campaign. A few hours later, with a few dollars in tow, she stuffed an envelope with twenty-six dollars to help a nonprofit organization protect endangered wildlife. That little girl was me - I had decided that I wanted to be involved in the environmental field that day.

I entered () University as a mature student, choosing Geography with a Concentration in Human Environment as my major. The first semester of my studies went well; however, from fall 2001 until winter 2003, I was unable to fulfill my responsibilities as a student due to medical reasons. My grades lowered for the duration of that time, resulting in subpar performance. Following that episode, I returned to my studies for the winter 2005 semester, stronger than before. My grades gradually rose with perseverance and hard work, and I was recognized and listed on the Dean's list in 2006. I am confident that my performance from the most recent years is indicative of the performance you can expect of me in your graduate program. During my undergraduate career, I became proactive in the classroom environment. For example, I took it upon myself to help other students understand class material with tutoring sessions, and was responsible for arranging several study groups. During group projects, I often became a leader due my ability to recognize a person's strengths and weaknesses, and assigning tasks based on those traits.

As I succeeded in my courses at () University, my interest was peaked by a brochure that advertised student exchange programs. I was confident and eager to apply to study at (different Univ) University (SFSU) as a J-1 student for spring 2007. I selected () because it was situated in the City of (), California; which is at the forefront of environmental awareness and sustainability. Once accepted, I packed my bags and left Montreal with a curious and open mind. My time there was both academically and professionally significant. As a member of the International Education Exchange Council (IEEC), I was given the opportunity to become a Project Coordinator for a fundraising event benefiting outgoing () students. Furthermore, that summer I finally obtained hands-on experience in the environmental field as an intern serving as an environmental protection assistant for the Environmental Review Office at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in (). My time there was invaluable, as I learned a great deal concerning the environmental planning process. During my time there, I was given the opportunity to review Environmental Impact Statements and Natural Resource Management Plans. The internship had reinforced the fact that environmental management is defiantly the career path I want to pursue. (See Resume).

Obtaining a Master of Science in Environmental Management is a natural extension of a long-standing interest of my career development in the environmental field. I am particularly attracted to the (school) program for its focus on providing the tools necessary to become a successful environmental professional. One of the great advantages of your program is the ability to work while obtaining a graduate degree; I am currently in the process of seeking an internship and will seek employment for the duration of my studies. In addition, the program would benefit me by enhancing my education and career development with exposure to seasoned faculty, graduate students and working professionals, allowing me to build collegial and professional networks. I particularly look forward to the opportunity to study with Professor () and () for their interest in resource management, respectively, and with Professor () whose research includes risk assessment and environmental management. My undergraduate degree and my internship experience at the EPA have reinforced my desire to work in the environmental field and I believe that your program would help provide a deeper level of understanding and experience to maximize my contribution as an environmental professional. Aware of graduate school rigors, I believe that I am mature enough and academically ready to provide () with a student who is mature, is an active participant and who is interested in environmental problems and solutions. On the completion of the program I plan to continue pursuing work in the environmental field, working towards the goal of becoming a project manager or hold a managerial position in the public sector. With a () degree, I can make a positive contribution in the environmental profession in the years of change and challenge that lie ahead.

Today, looking back at that little girl walking door to door, asking for contributions to help endangered wildlife, I know that I never did lose passion for environmental stewardship. I have always sought to learn more about the world surrounding me and will continue to do so. I strongly believe that graduate school will help me by providing the building blocks necessary to continue my path to becoming an environmental manager. I look forward to the many challenges ahead and hope that I am given the opportunity to contribute to your program.

Thank you for your consideration.
It was a cold autumn afternoon on the south shore of (city, state). A young girl walked door to door, trying to help a cause she believed in.

My grades lowered for the duration of that time, resulting in sub par performance.
During group projects, I often became a leader due to my ability to recognize a person's strengths and weaknesses, and assigning tasks based on those traits.

The internship had reinforced the fact that environmental management is definitely the career path I want to pursue. (See Resume).

I strongly believe that graduate school will help me by providing the building blocks necessary to continue on my path to becoming an environmental manager. I look forward to the many challenges ahead and hope that I am given the opportunity to contribute to your program.

This is looking great! Here are a few minor fixes, but great job revising!

:)
OP training4grad 1 / 3  
Thanks Kevin! Any other suggestions from anyone? Is it good to go? I really need to get in, and I'm super nervous.

Home / Graduate / Homeless situation - personal statement