MS in Human Computer Interaction | Statement of Purpose

AnmolMishra20 1 / 2 1  
Hi everyone, I am applying for a Master's in HCI/UXD/IxD across multiple universities. The below is a sample letter of intent. I would request you to provide me your critique of the same. (I shall be tailoring this according to each university's requirements once i feel this is good enough)

LETTER OF INTENT

Human beings are creatures of habit, habits which are usually influenced by our interaction with our surroundings. With the advent of extended reality devices and ongoing research on factory feedback, human technology interactions are becoming more immersive in the 21st century. In light of this, will existing design systems be able to incorporate the impending change? In what ways would this transformation influence the behavior of humans who interact with them? Furthermore, how can such immersive interfaces be not just beneficial to but also inclusive of all users?

These are a few questions that I wish to explore further at <University name> through the <degree> program in <program name>.

I developed an interest in user interfaces through my early interaction with an ATM display. Despite its humble design, the touchscreen interface proved to be a memorable experience. This interest in user interfaces (UI), and computers in general, led me to enroll myself in the Software Engineering program for a Bachelor's of Technology offered by SRM Institute of Science and Technology, a premier institution consistently ranked among the top.

My first encounter with interface development was in a web programming course, which led me to explore further and broaden my perception of this field. In pursuit of this interest, I obtained an internship with Capgemini SE, a global leader in consultancy, digital transformation, technology, and engineering services, as a UI developer. During this project I worked closely with my supervisor, Mr Joel Masakare, to redesign the onboarding portal based on data gathered from user research. As a result of this internship, I realized the importance of User Experience (UX) in designing an interface.

My training in software engineering allowed me to seek out this aspect of not just conceptualizing, but also ultimately developing meaningful user experiences through multiple projects. In my third year, I explored one such possibility as part of my minor thesis, where I and another teammate analysed a driver's sentiment using image processing. Using a convolution neural network and data from a car's dashboard camera, the driver's mood and drowsiness were detected using machine learning, and accordingly music was played. To further enhance my understanding of this nexus of technology and people, I was part of a talented multi-disciplinary team, wherein we developed a path-following robot to deliver daily medication. This project was implemented to address the pain points highlighted by the patients in the general ward. Further acclaim was given to the project by the Dean of SRM Medical College. Projects like these helped shape my genuine interest in the relationship between humans and technologies and the subsequent interaction between them.

My efforts culminated in my graduation from college with First Class with Distinction and obtaining employment with Accenture Solutions as a Software Analyst in full-stack web-development specializing in Content Management Solutions. I was assigned to the Environment Management team for one of the largest telecom companies in Europe. In this position, I was in charge of automation initiatives that promoted ease of access and higher usability. In empathizing with the clients' pain-points, I designed and developed solutions that met their needs and further encouraged them to upgrade to the new and better monitoring tools. Working on such problems ensured I had a decent grasp of industry chosen design tools and a basic idea of design thinking.

To further establish my understanding of this fusion of human psychology and technology I enrolled myself in the "Google UX Design Certificate" course offered jointly by Google and Coursera. This course was a great resource for understanding the basics of the entire design process and also highlighted the role accessibility and inclusivity play in creating a better design experience. Similarly, a "Future of Design" workshop sponsored by my employer introduced me to the importance of design in the circular economy model. This idea, of creating sustainable design systems that are viable for everyone, resonated deeply with me and I look forward to gaining further insight into it during the program through multiple avenues.

<Human Computer Interaction/User Experience Design> is the perfect example of a polymorphous relationship between human psychology, art, and technology. Having grown up in a household where both my parents graduated in biology, only further encouraged my curiosity in the field of healthcare. I attribute these interactions and experiences with them as an imperative factor in my pursuit of a career in the healthcare UX industry; therefore, I am ambitious to utilize the programmer's rigorous academic and experiential training as a springboard into my career.

Your Institution also grants me the privilege of interacting with and soaking in the knowledge of a talented pool of diverse individuals, which will allow me to apply myself more effectively to societal and global design issues. I trust that my well-founded background in computer science, work experience with diverse groups of people, and eagerness to learn more, will be helpful as I pursue the Master's in <Human Technology Interaction/program> offered by/at <Institution>.
It is difficult to say that you can use this essay across all the universities with little to no changes in your statement of purpose. Universities at this level have specific prompt discussion requirements that will force you to write fresh essays whenever possible. Universities have a way of finding out if you are using a template response with little to no revisions. The students who practice this method of application often find themselves not accepted in their target university / ties.

Try not to use a rhetorical approach to your opening statement. The reviewer will only give you 1 paragraph to catch his attention with your information specifics, wasting your time allottment by providing creative opening paragraphs will not help your cause. Go directly to the point by opening with a statement that merges the exact purpose of your study based upon your academic reason for returning to school and your career advancement. Impress the reviewer with these facts and you will find that you will have a more impressive and attention grabbing presentation.

Home / Graduate / MS in Human Computer Interaction | Statement of Purpose