Home / Graduate % width Posts: 3

MS in Human Computer Interaction | Statement of Purpose

AnmolMishra20 1 / 3 1  
Hi everyone, I am applying for a Master's in HCI/UXD/IxD across multiple universities. The below is a sample letter of intent. I would request you to provide me your critique of the same. (I shall be tailoring this according to each university's requirements once i feel this is good enough)

LETTER OF INTENT

Human beings are creatures of habit, habits which are usually influenced by our interaction with our surroundings. With the advent of extended reality devices and ongoing research on factory feedback, human technology interactions are becoming more immersive in the 21st century. In light of this, will existing design systems be able to incorporate the impending change? In what ways would this transformation influence the behavior of humans who interact with them? Furthermore, how can such immersive interfaces be not just beneficial to but also inclusive of all users?

These are a few questions that I wish to explore further at <University name> through the <degree> program in <program name>.

I developed an interest in user interfaces through my early interaction with an ATM display. Despite its humble design, the touchscreen interface proved to be a memorable experience. This interest in user interfaces (UI), and computers in general, led me to enroll myself in the Software Engineering program for a Bachelor's of Technology offered by SRM Institute of Science and Technology, a premier institution consistently ranked among the top.

My first encounter with interface development was in a web programming course, which led me to explore further and broaden my perception of this field. In pursuit of this interest, I obtained an internship with Capgemini SE, a global leader in consultancy, digital transformation, technology, and engineering services, as a UI developer. During this project I worked closely with my supervisor, Mr Joel Masakare, to redesign the onboarding portal based on data gathered from user research. As a result of this internship, I realized the importance of User Experience (UX) in designing an interface.

My training in software engineering allowed me to seek out this aspect of not just conceptualizing, but also ultimately developing meaningful user experiences through multiple projects. In my third year, I explored one such possibility as part of my minor thesis, where I and another teammate analysed a driver's sentiment using image processing. Using a convolution neural network and data from a car's dashboard camera, the driver's mood and drowsiness were detected using machine learning, and accordingly music was played. To further enhance my understanding of this nexus of technology and people, I was part of a talented multi-disciplinary team, wherein we developed a path-following robot to deliver daily medication. This project was implemented to address the pain points highlighted by the patients in the general ward. Further acclaim was given to the project by the Dean of SRM Medical College. Projects like these helped shape my genuine interest in the relationship between humans and technologies and the subsequent interaction between them.

My efforts culminated in my graduation from college with First Class with Distinction and obtaining employment with Accenture Solutions as a Software Analyst in full-stack web-development specializing in Content Management Solutions. I was assigned to the Environment Management team for one of the largest telecom companies in Europe. In this position, I was in charge of automation initiatives that promoted ease of access and higher usability. In empathizing with the clients' pain-points, I designed and developed solutions that met their needs and further encouraged them to upgrade to the new and better monitoring tools. Working on such problems ensured I had a decent grasp of industry chosen design tools and a basic idea of design thinking.

To further establish my understanding of this fusion of human psychology and technology I enrolled myself in the "Google UX Design Certificate" course offered jointly by Google and Coursera. This course was a great resource for understanding the basics of the entire design process and also highlighted the role accessibility and inclusivity play in creating a better design experience. Similarly, a "Future of Design" workshop sponsored by my employer introduced me to the importance of design in the circular economy model. This idea, of creating sustainable design systems that are viable for everyone, resonated deeply with me and I look forward to gaining further insight into it during the program through multiple avenues.

<Human Computer Interaction/User Experience Design> is the perfect example of a polymorphous relationship between human psychology, art, and technology. Having grown up in a household where both my parents graduated in biology, only further encouraged my curiosity in the field of healthcare. I attribute these interactions and experiences with them as an imperative factor in my pursuit of a career in the healthcare UX industry; therefore, I am ambitious to utilize the programmer's rigorous academic and experiential training as a springboard into my career.

Your Institution also grants me the privilege of interacting with and soaking in the knowledge of a talented pool of diverse individuals, which will allow me to apply myself more effectively to societal and global design issues. I trust that my well-founded background in computer science, work experience with diverse groups of people, and eagerness to learn more, will be helpful as I pursue the Master's in <Human Technology Interaction/program> offered by/at <Institution>.
It is difficult to say that you can use this essay across all the universities with little to no changes in your statement of purpose. Universities at this level have specific prompt discussion requirements that will force you to write fresh essays whenever possible. Universities have a way of finding out if you are using a template response with little to no revisions. The students who practice this method of application often find themselves not accepted in their target university / ties.

Try not to use a rhetorical approach to your opening statement. The reviewer will only give you 1 paragraph to catch his attention with your information specifics, wasting your time allottment by providing creative opening paragraphs will not help your cause. Go directly to the point by opening with a statement that merges the exact purpose of your study based upon your academic reason for returning to school and your career advancement. Impress the reviewer with these facts and you will find that you will have a more impressive and attention grabbing presentation.
OP AnmolMishra20 1 / 3 1  
Merged:

MS in Human Computer Interaction at Georgia Tech | Statement of Pupose

Please provide a critique on the information flow and its coherence in the essay. Furthermore, if you could, please address my question regarding the text in red: can I include/cite a research paper in my SOP, esp someone else's as a factor to my research interest?

Human-computer interaction is a perfect example of the polymorphous relationship between human psychology, art, and technology. I have been fortunate enough to explore these fields by virtue of different interactions throughout my academic and professional life. These experiences now propel me to pursue the MS-HCI program offered by the School of Interactive Computing (SCI) at Georgia Tech to gain a more holistic cognizance of this man-machine relationship.

Growing up in a household where both my parents graduated in biology encouraged my genuine curiosity in it. Through conversations with them I have gained an interest in human behavioral patterns, especially our ability to form habits. We are creatures of habit, and much of what we do is more or less an automatic reaction to the stimuli in our environment. I have first-hand experienced technology permeating our environment and becoming an integral part of our lives. This also led me to notice how technology influenced the way we behaved and interacted in subtle yet crucial ways.

I explored this relationship further through the aspect of technology by pursuing a BTech in Software Engineering from SRM Institute of Science and Technology. The program allowed me in not just conceptualizing but ultimately developing meaningful human-technology interactions through multiple undertakings. For a vivid example, I was privileged to be a part of a multi-disciplinary team project to tackle the problem of timely medication delivery during peak hours in the medical college hospital. This issue was highlighted by the patients on the general ward. The proposed solution was a network of line following robots, that would deliver medicines from the dispensary to the patient's bed within a matter of minutes and also reduced the work-load on doctors. As my theoretical understanding of technology expanded so did my application of it. In the 3rd year as part of my minor project, I along with a colleague, implemented a machine learning algorithm to analyze a car driver's drowsiness and accordingly play music. These endeavors have helped me realize that understanding human perception is critical to the progress of technology and its user adoption.

Having learnt software design and development through college courses, I jumped at the chance to intern with Capgemini SE as a user interface (UI) developer, to get more hands-on experience. During the process of redesigning single sign-on, I was exposed to tools and methodologies for designing user interfaces for the first time. My perspective of the field transformed further when my internship supervisor exhorted me to involve myself in the area of User Experience (UX). This parting wisdom prompted me to enroll and successfully attain the "Google UX Design" certificate. The course served as a stepping-stone in my journey towards UX.

Since then, I have carried this process forward throughout my professional tenure at Accenture Solutions where, being part of the environment management team for Europe's largest telecom operator enabled me to gain a working insight into the aspect of user-oriented testing methodologies. In this position, I was able to empathize with clients' pain-points. This led me to redesigning applications to address the issues while also promoting a higher degree of accessibility and usability.

With technology evolving at an even exponential rate in the 21st century, it is imperative that our interaction with it is optimized too, so as to ensure efficient and sustainable utilization. I believe that the MS-HCI program will familiarize me with the intricacies of this relationship between humans and technology. With its extensive and specialized curriculum, this degree will challenge me; push me beyond my known capacity, and force me to lean on the collective knowledge of the cohort to tackle problems afflicting our global community.

My curiosity in the intersection of healthcare technology and user experience persists. A chance reading of the conference paper by Y. Chen, "Olfactory Display: Development and Application in Virtual Reality Therapy", piqued my interest regarding the analysis of various human senses for computer interaction. I hope the Ubiquitous & Wearable Computing research area will empower me in exploring this topic further during my tenure at GT. I believe the specialization electives "Mixed Reality Experience Design" and "Introduction to Health Informatics" offered in the program will aid me in making my vision of pursuing a career in the field of Healthcare UX, a reality. Therefore, I am keen to make the best use of the Human-Computer Interaction program's research training and academic rigor as a springboard into my career.

Your Institution also grants me the privilege of interacting with and soaking in the knowledge of a talented pool of individuals. This will allow me to apply myself more effectively to societal and global design issues. I trust that my leadership qualities, interpersonal skills, and problem-solving mindset that I have acquired during my time as the Joint Secretary of Aaruush, a National level Techno-Management Inter-College fest, will create great synergy with other fellow students there.

I am confident that my professional work experience and academic background will prepare me to make best use of the resources at your institution. Furthermore, an international education will give me a platform to grow as a student and a human, and create life-long connections with individuals across the globe. It would, indeed, be a privilege to get educated in the dynamic and untrammeled environment of Georgia Institute of Technology and prepare me for my future undertakings.

Home / Graduate / MS in Human Computer Interaction | Statement of Purpose