The impact of the Erasmus Mundus emPLANT master's scholarship in your home country

meksebsium 1 / 3 1  
Hey guys....i don't really know how this works but please help me revise my essay since the dead line is in two days. thanks for your help in advance

eritrean farmers with new opportunities

A growing number of African countries are increasingly becoming food insecure because of delayed and insufficient rainfall, as well as crop damaging pests causing the most severe crisis. In Eritrea, more than 70% of the people depend on farming and it is of prime importance for our economy. But farming is practiced on the basis of archaic and traditional methods. Although the total area under crop production has increased in the last few years and the construction of dams, reservoirs, and supplementary irrigation has increased the yield of cereals and horticultural crops, considerable improvement could not be achieved to cover the food requirement of the country and promote food security.

The response to those challenges in our country and the world is to harness all instruments of sustainable agricultural growth; and plant biotechnology is one such instrument. In many developing countries, including Eritrea, there is a growing realization that plant biotechnology could make a valuable contribution toward solving the urgent problem of food supply and reducing poverty. The capacity of biotechnology to provide improved crops, both in quality and quantity holds a great promise to achieve sustainable food security and poverty eradication. At the moment research development and applications of modern biotechnology are relatively new to Eritrea.

It is in this regards that acquiring a master's degree emPLANT from your reputable universities will be of a huge importance to my home country. Upon my return, my plan is to collaborate with the Association of Eritreans in Agricultural sciences (AEAS). This organization's main objectives are to build-up and implement knowledge-based agriculture in Eritrea. By associating with this organization my first objective will be to strengthen the linkage between research and producers since those linkages will provide the producers with new innovative agricultural technologies and knowledge. I also plan to work with the ministry of agriculture to train and mentor young people with the same interest in plant technologies, so that the technologies can rescue farmers from the many threats facing the agricultural sector. The knowledge and expertise I must have garnered from the program, will also enable me to carryout need-felt researches necessary to the ministry of agriculture specially the plant breeding sector.

The master concepts of traditional and modern breeding technologies I gain at your program will help me provide many farmers in my country new opportunities for achieving productivity gains, improved nutritional quality, increased transportability and many other benefits. Additionally, in the long run, it will help my country to achieve its long term objective of ensuring food security for all its citizens.
Godluck 1 / 3  
@meksebsium in the second paragraph you can clearly state whether that is the National Priority and how it relates to your course of study. you should also stipulate in such context what specifically are you going to do to help that....

Also state out what type of research is that you are going to carryout with the ministry of Agriculture,
and instead of having such big goal as achieving the benefit of your country, you can put it in a more realistic way as 'community perhaps'
BIsrat, you have presented very relevant information in relation to food insecurity in Eritrea.However, I am not sure what moves the government of this country has taken to address this concern. Where is the developmental context of this concern? What programs has the government enacted that are meant to help alleviate this situation? Try to find a government program to present that relates to the masters degree that you are applying for admission to. Then explain how this developmental need can be addressed by the course you are planning to take. Describe the skills that you hope to hone and what the goal of your studies will be. Indicate how you see your participation in this field as helping to improve the system or address the problem. If the government is harnessing plant biotechnology, explain how this has helped to improve the current situation and what you plan to contribute to the program. Describe a breakthrough that you hope to make in the field and how hope it can help change the situation regarding food insecurity in Eritrea. Don't be so over reaching as to deal with all of Africa, just focus on your own country and its problems. Your solutions should be localized to your country instead of your region as a regional response cannot be undertaken by a single person and his abilities. Now, since I am not sure about what other prompt statements you are required to make. I shall stop at this point. I believe that from here, you will know how to improve upon the rest of the requirements of the statement.

Home / Graduate / The impact of the Erasmus Mundus emPLANT master's scholarship in your home country