'to increase my scope of practice, MN:ANP' - admission statement

nursegirl 1 / 1  
Hi there, I am applying to graduate school and need some help with my admission letter. I am applying to masters of nursing: ANP option. There is a format to follow including: primary reasons for applying to MN:ANP option, specific skills, resources and experiences that will facilitate success in the program, my personal and professional aspirations and how participating in this program will relate to my future goals, how I plan to balance other competing factors in my life/work with the demands of this program and finally my interest in primary healthcare. I am trying to incorporate all my ideas in a well structured admission essay and need some help to conclude it so here goes...

My primary reason for applying to graduate studies is to increase my scope of practice, to play a key role in the challenges which face the current health care system by providing the necessary care and to empower patients, their families and communities to participate in that care.

Since graduating from nursing, I have worked in various healthcare settings including intensive care, coronary care and most recently obstetrics and neonatal intensive care. I have had numerous clinical and personal experiences with challenges that have enhanced my competency as a nurse and has increased my desire to further my education. While working in critical care I often see frequent admissions and re-admissions of patients with similar chronic health problems. These patients present with an acute exacerbation of their illness leading to admission to hospital and even to critical care. As a holistic nurse, I often wonder what health promotion and prevention these patients had that could have prevented this admission. I feel that my experience as a registered nurse to date, gives me a vast background of knowledge and enhances my ability as a holistic nurse, furthering my capability to succeed with my studies. With each patient and family I provide care for, I take great price in devising a plan of care using the nursing process of assessment, diagnosis, plan, implementation and evaluation. As an NP this process would be carried out with more autonomy. In most cases a great deal of education is necessary including health promotion and disease prevention. NP's can work alongside with physicians, clients and their communities during their hospitalization and after discharge to help prevent re-admissions. NP's can help diagnose, treat and make referrals therefore improving patient care and decreasing the burden on the current health care system.

Graduate education with MN program would assist the current health delivery system by providing the tools necessary to become proactive and to facilitate a holistic approach to transform the design of the current health system. Np's can take on several roles that not only can alleviate current health care delivery problems but also improve the patient nurse satisfaction with the healthcare system. How I plan to manage my home life and work with graduate studies will not be easy but I know that through effective time management and social supports I will be able to succeed in this program. I have already completed 2 degrees with a family, and I believe that through distance education this will help me become successful in my future education.

In conclusion, I feel the MN:ANP would provide me the education and resources necessary to alleviate the challenges in current healthcare system, this would allow me to communicate with compassion and understanding in regards to the health care delivery.
RHK 3 / 6  
Hi,
this looks good, but I'm not a specialist, so wait others.
However, I would like to say a thing: your letter is structured in a human background, and it's right, because nursery is this mainly.

But (and remember, I'm not a specialist in this sector) maybe it would be better if you stress the part in which you explain your capabilities, like some kind of proposals about the "re-admissions" (there is a technical word, but I don't remember it).

Maybe, not a real "proposal", but an intention to deepen that field..
This is just an example. I hope you understand my view, despite of my english :)

Good luck!
OP nursegirl 1 / 1  
Hi, just wondering if any further suggestions coming my way, thanks for the reply Christian, I will you those suggestions to make a final draft.

Home / Graduate / 'to increase my scope of practice, MN:ANP' - admission statement