Indian Institute of Managment, Ahmedabad (IIMA) PGPX - Essay -1

martinjain 1 / 3  
I am applying to IIMA PGPX and I'm a first-timer at applying to grad school, so I'd love any and all input you have on how I can make these better. Thanks

My experience spans over 10 years as a legal professional from being an academician at National Law University, Jodhpur - one of the best law school, to being an in-house counsel in Reserve Bank of India - country's Central Bank and Monetary Authorty. In this professional journey I have had the opportunity of learning about the theoretical aspects of law as well as how legal prescription can shape public policy especially in banking and financial sector.

In modern times law and management has become inextricably intertwined and a manager without legal perspective and a lawyer without managerial perspective cannot excel in corporate world. IIMA PGPX gives me the managerial insight and allows me to develop critical thinking of a business leader. The PGPX programme has a general management focus, including an emphasis on managing across borders and cultures and therefore is complimentary to my legal knowledge.

IIMA PGPX is a unique program which will not only give me an opportunity to get trained in advanced management education but also this challenging program will prepare me to blend my present knowledge of law with cutting edge business knowledge and hence prepares me for an active and diverse career.

In the above backdrop, I expect to gain the following from PGPX:
(i) IIMA PGPX will give me the opportunity to interact with top business academicians and learn from the experts as to how I can leverage my background in law in the areas of business.

(ii) The focus of PGPX is on general management and my background in law is the most fit for the same. In modern times the organizations operate in an increasingly complex world of emerging regulation across national and international boundaries. A business leader will be incomplete unless he has a fair understanding of legal underpinnings of any business decision. Therefore, PGPX's training will make me an atypical professional who has not only been ingrained in legal training but also has a general management perspective. Such professional can play a very crucial role in varied fields of business such as corporate strategy, merger & acquisition, legal and regulatory compliance, corporate restructuring, risk management, corporate insolvency, project finance decisions, et al.

(iii) A legal professional like me who has 10 years of experience varying from academia to industry with qualifications like Company Secretary, CAIIB etc. can accelerate his career with a general management degree of the rigour of PGPX. PGPX can be a game changer for my career and can catapult me from a legal professional to a management professional with strong grounding in law and thus open new and varied career vistas for me.

Hence, PGPX is the best programme, which will help me leverage my knowledge in law and launch me into a career in business and thus will enable me to make my career shift from a legal professional to a management professional with decent knowledge of legal and regulatory framework. In peroration, what I expect to gain from IIMA PGPX is an intellectually challenging environment, which will potentially transform me from a legal professional to a management professional with substantial training in law.
raya1001 2 / 10 3  
Martin, can you tell me what the question/requirement is that you have to answer in writing this essay? I will be in a better position to help you, I think knowing this information.
OP martinjain 1 / 3  
raya1001

Thanks Raya. My query is whether the essay is reading well and whether it answer the question i.e. what I expect to gain from the programme. More specifically the following line

"Such professional can play a very crucial role in varied fields of business such as corporate strategy, merger & acquisition, legal and regulatory compliance, corporate restructuring, risk management, corporate insolvency, project finance decisions, et al."

Because I am not talking about any specific job type but general areas.

Best Regards
raya1001 2 / 10 3  
Sorry took so long to get back to you. I hd a test I had to study for :)

I love what your are sayng in the paragrah, very impressive, but it sounds/reads like your trying to impress the reader. It's not a very strong opening, but it's not bad. It is my experience that trying to sound impressive with jargon & squeezing in a lot of information that may not be needed, does not always impress. you may need some re-wording/working here. it's ok to be simple:

ex: I have over ten years of experience as a legal professional starting from by years as a student at The National Law University, Jodhpur, to being an in-

house counsel in Reserve Bank of India.In my professional journey...

In modern times law and management has become

.... not sure if it just uploaded this way, but this should be the start of your new paragraph. On this display it looks like it's a part of your first paragraph, but reading it, it feels like it should be the start of a new thought/direction in the piece.

ok everything else looks great I love the order, I love what your saying. I like the flow and how you broke it into sections (i) (ii) (iii) etc..

until...

Hence, PGPX is the best programme

...
this should be the start of a new paragrah. It also feels like your mocking me the reader, by starting off with Hence, almost like your saying "Duh can't you see why I like this program,did I have to spell it out to you with my bullet points?" It is also very slightly similar to your bullet point (iii) I had to read this a few times because I thought you had typed the same thing twice. I understand that you are just trying to reinterate your point. Perhaps you can combine the two{(iii)-the end} and make your current bullet point (iii) part of your conclusion.

Also, you focus a lot on what the program can do for you, maybe use a new bullet point (iii) to say something about what you can bring to the program. My mother, when I was young, made us go to these high schools where you had to audition and go through an interview process to get in. I will never forget on my little brothers interview he was asked why they should let him in. He talked about what he could learn and get out of the school, but then he said I think that your school could also learn a lot of new things from me as well (or something along those lines). He got in and the admissions are still talking about how this little 8th grade kid impressed them by saying that one sentence, because all they ever here I get this and I get that, but never I have something to offer you in return. You have over 10yrs experience let them know what you have to bring to the table.

Hope this helps. These are only suggestions. You don't have to follow them, if you don't agree. Overall I thought it was very good!

-Raya
OP martinjain 1 / 3  
raya

Thanks so so much. Very impressive review. Each and every point of yours well taken. It was exceptional review. I dont know whether you are a professional essay reviewer of amateur but you have got exceptional ability. I will incorporate all the changes suggested by you. The points are well taken.

Are you applying for B-schools? Because the way you have pointed out such beautiful and relevant suggestions make me feel that you are a veteran in this field.

many thanks once again for taking time out and for the effort. It is highly appreciated.

I would like to get in touch with you. My email is martinjain21[at]gmail dot com In case you dont mind, you may kindly sent an email to me.

Many regards.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

There are a few things that you do well in this essay and a few things that are not done so well. First with the good news. You do a good job in stating why you need to complete a management program at this time in your career. . The reader will understand that you lack a formal business management education which is one of the strongest reasons for pursing a program like this. However, you fail to fully state why this program and how you will utilize what you have learned in your future career and how this program (specifically) will help you. You need to relate specific resources of this program and how you plan to fully exploit them for your future success. -Admissions Advice Online

Hope this helps
OP martinjain 1 / 3  
Thanks admission 2012. It was definitely of help. However, just one small clarification. For stating specific resources of the programme, shall I write about the centers or the teaching pedagogy or the network provided by the Institute and how it will further my goal. The only thing is for all top B-schools these are more or less similar. Then how will it be only specific to this B-school.

Hope not bothering.

Many regards

Home / Graduate / Indian Institute of Managment, Ahmedabad (IIMA) PGPX - Essay -1