Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

From Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Delhi - SOP for Msc Finance and Economics

oxygen 1 / -  
As a child, I often accompanied my dad to the stock market. Looking at the share index numbers on the large overhead screen, I was fascinated with this world. As I grew up, I gradually came to appreciate the importance of finance in the modern world. In the university, I was fortunate to have been exposed to many interesting and challenging fields. Though I ultimately chose to major in Chemical Engineering, I also studied business, management and finance. These courses impressed upon me the importance of the financial sector in the economy. Finance professionals have the unique responsibility of managing assets and analyzing risks to ensure the future success of a company or organization. It is difficult to overstate the importance of this role, as the financial crisis of 2009 showed. It is due to my understanding of the importance of finance and investment, coupled with my longstanding interest for this subject that I have decided to pursue postgraduate studies in finance and economics at the prestigious London School of Economics.

I will be graduating in August 2011 from the Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Delhi, with a Masters degree in Computer applications in chemical engineering and a bachelor's degree in Chemical engineering. While in university, I have sought part-time work to gain practical experience and financially support my education. During summer and winter vacations, I worked as an equity research intern at Farsight private limited, a regional brokerage firm in India. I analysed and recommended a company that was approved and added to my brokerage firm sector report. The job in particular was rewarding and immensely instructive, and it has solidified my resolve to devote my future career to the field of finance and investment.

I took and cleared CFA Level 1 in June 2010 and obtained NSE's financial market certification related to financial derivatives. Through these activities i have gained extensive knowledge about market data research, and how to obtain the latest and most accurate information for proper analysis and action. My passion in finance was further developed during my college years, particularly in equity research and hedge fund investments. I have been keeping track of the current updates through news and articles, and have been maintaining a personal investment portfolio for the past 1 year.

The financial aspect of economics appeals to me differently since I have always found an innate fondness for mathematics and statistics. Financial economics appeals to my more mathematical background prior to and during university and allows me use those skills. My interest in finance and its importance in a Finance and Economics Master's course make me believe I will derive much benefit from it. I have always actively taken modules to prepare myself for a master's course throughout my undergraduate degree.

I have chosen to pursue masters in finance and economics course at LSE because the university is home to many of the leading financial professionals in the world. Also, the quantitative nature of the course perfectly aligns with my previous degree in engineering. The resources and expertise available at LSE will provide me with a broad and deep learning experience. I am eager to challenge myself in such a setting and learn from renowned professors, while interacting with equally ambitious and motivated classmates. I sincerely believe I can contribute significantly to the programme and to the university in many ways as I am a focused and driven individual. Economics has now become a part of my everyday life, and I am always trying to expand my knowledge base.

I have an opportunity here to, in effect, improve not only my education, but also myself as an individual. Having an opportunity to learn in an environment with others as passionate about the subject as myself would mean that an exchange of views and ideas would benefit all parties. I have always strived to be the best at what I do, and I am sure the academic environment at LSE is conducive to my progress and will allow me to explore finance and economics at a deeper, more meaningful level. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Home / Graduate / From Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Delhi - SOP for Msc Finance and Economics