Initiative on solar education in Africa; Master in International Energy

juliusdudu 2 / -  
I am applying for a master course in international energy and would need help in proof reading, improving of my personal statement. I hope that comment will be made on the arrangement, how i present my story and how I can make it better. Thank you in advance.

Since the introduction of electrical technology, and the beginning of the industrial era, human
beings have been inclined and drawn to the comforts that urbanized communities utilize. As we progress, the demand for energy progresses too thereby putting pressure on the existing oil fields. This increases the demands and campaigns for well trained energy experts, cleaner and more efficient means of energy production from various quarters.

I have always looked forward to studying energy industry and becoming an energy expert from childhood. I grew up with oil at my backyard in the Niger delta region of Nigeria, a region richly blessed with crude oil and oil production of approximately 2.5m barrel daily. I vividly remember telling my poor single mother that one day I would join the oil workers moving-in and coming-out of the creek to explore the "black gold' deposited at our backyard.

The annulment of the June 12 1993 presidential election made oil became a political tool because of Nigeria reliance on it. The government and the civil organizations shifted the battle ground to energy sector for economic and political points. Strike actions, mass protests, and insecurity led to lack of gas to power electricity generators, long queue at the filling stations, lack of fuel to power the transports sector, these emphasized the economic importance of the sector. The insecurity and the death of the environmental activists ken saro-wiwa made my poor family to move south wards to Abeokuta where I completed my education.

Our migration to Abeokuta gave me access to Nigerian Newspapers, Foreign magazines and journals like Economist, Times, African Focus, that exposed me to international energy politics and the growing demand for energy. I read about the role of oil in conflicts around the world especially the gulf war and how the thirst for energy will influence the 21centrury world. It was in one of the editions of the Economist in 1998 that I read about the need for the development of sustainable energy because of the depletion of the current energy sources and the growing population which rekindles my desire in the sector.

During my high school days, I was a member of the president of the Green Club before I was seconded to the Wilfred foundation, an environmental NGO as my school representative where I was trained in solar energy. I discovered that energy policies and regulatory frameworks are the greatest obstacle to achieving energy access to the rural community like ours despite the huge renewable and non renewable energy potentials.

I knew I would need to study sciences to achieve my dream of becoming an energy expert but my parents had other plans. When it got to the time to choose my major, the school posted me to science class due to my academic performances but my mother demanded that I should be posted to commercial class because of the financial implication of being a science student. With my dream of becoming an energy expert fading away, I had to settle for law because of its versatility and its relevancy in many sector thereby preserving interest.

As a law undergraduate, I was a regular visitor to the oil and gas journal and other related fields in our library. I completed 3 internships in a law firm, and an NGO, attended several seminars, workshops and training within and outside the university community on the energy industry. The physics and geology students were my friends. We shared knowledge on the 3D technology, drilling of oil and gas fields and also served as the secretary of the Lighting club that installed solar panels funded by the Televast Impact in our hostel.

My undergraduate experience prepared me as a legal practitioner, I drafted oil and gas joint venture agreement that cut across jurisdictions, given opinion on the petroleum industry bill, represented oil firms in litigation on drilling disputes, arbitrate energy companies dispute, engaged regulators like the rural electrification agencies on the need to create incentives to investors to invest in non-renewable energy for the off-grid power generation. This helped me to have a firsthand knowledge of how big and important the energy sector is.

I have attended energy related seminar by Global Associate of Risk Professionals and also enroll as a student member of Association of Chattered Certified Accountants where oil and gas accounting was studied. I am a member of a new initiative global power shift formed to arrest climate change challenges, attended workshop organized by ECREEE for the development of renewable energy in the West African states in Ghana, Liberia, Benin and Togo. I have also been accepted to attend a workshop in France by the IAEA on energy security in April. The exposure made me to understand the importance of an energy expert in these days of technology, high energy demand, and political intrigues, economic down turn experienced in the world.

Choosing PIAS is a deliberate choice. It is a place where potentials are sharpen and new and exciting skills are learn. I am impressed with the class mix, international studying and living environment which offer an excellent learning experience, a network of strong and lasting relationships with my colleagues and lecturers, the internship opportunity and the reputation the school has built over the years. I am also fascinated with the opportunity of learning French; I have always been limited during conferences within the West African states.

I am confident that I can lead students in the University for New Initiative on solar education in Africa and also work with African centre of the university in the development of energy policies and regulatory frameworks for African states.

Overall, I believe that I am an excellent applicant for studying at your university not because of my academics but because of my back ground. I bring along a unique experience of legal and regulatory frameworks and deployment of renewable energy of the energy in Nigeria, volunteerism in an NGO, a private sector approach and above all my willingness to learn to attain my childhood dream of becoming an energy expert.
Wolves23f 2 / 2  
Very enjoyable read

Home / Graduate / Initiative on solar education in Africa; Master in International Energy