Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

Insatiable curiosity and interest ; Motivation Letter/Molecular Medicine(German Uni)

srinivasmyna 1 / -  
Guys this is my letter of motivation for a Masters course in Germany. I want to know if this is good enough or if I need to improve on it. Also it would be grateful if anyone could clarify regarding how long it should be for German Universities, and if i should include more about other activites too like sports and community service.

Thank you.

Letter of Motivation

I first became aware of molecular basis of diseases during an awareness campaign on AIDS conducted jointly by my school and state government in 2006. Over the years, I have developed what seems to be an insatiable curiosity and interest for the molecular mechanisms of diseases. This interest led me to choose Biotechnology as my undergraduate studies and further, research various human pathoses through bio-medicine, in particular, the design of biomarkers to diagnose diseases and identifying effective treatment for the same.

With this objective in mind, I chose Biotechnology as a major in my undergraduate course. Biotechnology gave me the opportunity to study life sciences as well as acquire engineering and analytical skills. My undergraduate studies in biotechnology exposed me to concepts of Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology, Immunology, Bio-Informatics, Process Engineering Principles, Tissue Culture Techniques, Microbiology, and Bio-processing. This curriculum, supplemented with the practical experience has armed me with the knowledge and confidence to pursue my Masters and research in the field of bio-medicine.

Throughout my undergraduate studies, I found myself reading articles regarding various diseases and their molecular mechanisms. During my four years of the course I presented various articles on recent developments in the field of Molecular Marker Technology and applications of Nano-biotechnology in drug-delivery systems. As a part of my course, for an Industry related project, I worked on evaluation of Oxidative Stress in relation to Glycosylated Hemoglobin through a Thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) assay . By performing a TBARS assay, the oxidative stress in diabetic population was assessed in relation with their glycosylated hemoglobin status by comparison with prediabetic conditions and normal populations.

For my bachelor thesis, I conducted research on the Association of Multi Drug Resistance genes (MDR1) with Genetic Polymorphisms (C3435T/G2627T/A) in Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia under the guidance of Dr. XXX at the Nizam's Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS). During this thesis, I focused on investigating drug resistance in CML patients by performing a PCR quantification of biomarkers such as BCR-ABL and MDR1 genes in patients with C3435T and G2627T/A polymorphisms. Later, I continued my research at NIMS by studying the association of MDR1 gene expression in patients with T315I mutations and hOCT1 expression. Simultaneously, I worked on Standardization of PCR Methods for response assessment in Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia, to an international scale for BCR-Quantification in India, which is a New INDIGO initiative funded by Department of Biotechnology, Government of India in collaboration with European Institutes for CML-Standardisation.

Lack of early diagnoses of disease is a very common problem in many developing countries including India, and I believe an issue that needs to be addressed with priority. I wish to contribute to this by identifying advanced biomarkers for early diagnosis of diseases. Despite the research I have done on disease mechanisms, I need to add depth and learn more about cell signaling and pathways in order to identify target molecules for diagnosis and treatment. This is my primary motivation in applying for my Masters in Molecular Medicine at the XXX University. Apart from being aligned well with my future endeavors, I firmly believe that such a degree can help me myself with the skills I deem necessary in this effort. I also believe that my skills will also be of good use to the current research in your university.

Home / Graduate / Insatiable curiosity and interest ; Motivation Letter/Molecular Medicine(German Uni)