My interest in chemical engineering dates from my teens. Provide your comments about my SOP

mmrz 1 / 1  
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
My interest in chemical engineering dates from my teens. I remember how cars exhaust fumes polluting the nice air of the city made me nervous whenever I ran to school early in the morning. I always thought if it would be a day that we can get rid of these destructive emissions. The environment and human health have always attracted my attention since I was a high school student. Indeed these two main issues led me to consult with my teachers and finally choose chemical engineering as my undergraduate field of study.

During my undergraduate study at Xx University I was able to do two main researches both relating to the improvement of the environment. One of them (which was my extra-curricular activity in combustion engineering principles course) was my investigation on gas sensors. Gas sensors can show the amount of toxic or combustible gases in their environment. My great focus was on catalytic gas sensors (pellistors) which are used to detect combustible gases below their L.E.L.

The other one was my project entitled "Mathematical Modelling of Urea Synthesis Reactor" under the direction of professor xxx who gave me 19/20 on this course.This project was part of a main research for entire simulation of urea unit in order to reduce its high pollution and I am extremely glad that I made a positive contribution to the protection of the environment.

Now since I decidedly hope to work as a professor & professional researcher at university, I am determined to pursue my study at higher levels(first MSc and then PhD).Toward achieving this ambition, I want to get myself exposed to the best educational environment where I can have a bright view of my future. In this way by consulting with my professors and searching in internet, I realized that your university has a superb international reputation. Besides I have found that there are many S graduate students there which will be a fine assistance for me if I get the honor of accepting in your university; moreover, eminent faculty members with research interests similar to mine &state of the art research facilities have made me to choose your chemical engineering department as my future dream of studying abroad.

Telling about my experiences I can mention that in my junior year I was granted a student internship at Xx Petrochemical Company. I worked about three months at the urea production unit and became familiar with the complicated process of producing urea from ammonia and CO2.

After graduation from my university I was called up for military service and since I was really engaged in teaching I applied for being a teacher. I was finally granted a permission to be a teacher at technical school.(my high G.P.A and the reputation of Xx University were key factors in this success).Analytical chemistry, chemical processes, chemical industries principles were topics which I taught to my students about two years. I have also gained professional experience by working about one year as a repair &maintenance engineer at Fars Gas Company in Xx. During this period I became completely familiar with gas industry(from production to distribution) by participating in industrial training classes (held by National S Gas Company(NSGC) in ICT center of xx) &also a real hands-on experience in XW Gas Refinery Co at the south of Sw.All of these experiences have combined to prepare me for graduate study on professional level.

Environmental Engineering and pollution control is my first research interest. I would like to research on simulation of power plants with chemical engineering softwares(such as Hysys&Aspen plus)in order to optimize the CO2 separation processes.

I am very enthusiastic about design of fuel cells(especially SOFC & PEMFC)and their performance and reliability modelling. I would also like to explore about hydrogen production from bio-ethanol & hydrogen production in supercritical water. My burning ambition is to cooperate with WISE(X Institute for Sustainable Energy)on these categories.

Gas membrane separation technology in order to selectively reduce CO2,H2S&H2O from natural gas by using polymer membranes such as CA(cellulose acetate)&PI(polyimide),life cycle analysis(LCA) of products in order to determine their impact on environment and environmental systems modelling &management also hold great attraction for me.

Process systems engineering (PSE)is my second interested research area.
Mathematical modeling of nonlinear processes,computer simulation, process control&optimization are my main focuses of attention on this area. I am very interested in the application of robust control theory to

advanced control techniques especially nonlinear control methods.
I am also very enthusiastic to investigate on nonlinear empirical
models such as Nonlinear Auto-Regressive Moving Average with Exogenous Inputs (NARMAX )model to obtain simple&reduced order nonlinear processes models. Designing steady state&dynamic estimators for Inferential Control is another area I would like to explore about. I am very eager to use Aspen IQ &Aspen DMCplus softwares in this category for my researches. Familiarity with matlab software and its toolboxes(robust contro,curve fitting&neural network) enables me to do extensive research on these subjects.

I am also very eager to investigate on nanoscience & nanotechnology research area. I have found that the X University is very famous in this branch. Design of nano-vehicles used for drug delivery is very fascinating to me(because of its application in cancer treatment). Synthesis of nanoparticles,nanometals,polymer nanocomposites,nanocomposite membranes & finally nanostructured fuel cell catalysts are other topics in this hi-tech area that I am interested in.
I always thought it would be great if we could get rid of these destructive emissions.

Indeed these two main issues led me to consult with my teachers and finally choose chemical engineering as my undergraduate field of study.

Now since I decidedly hope to work as a professor & professional researcher at university, I am determined to pursue my study at higher levels(first MSc and then PhD).Toward achieving this ambition, I want to expose myself to the best educational environment where I can have a bright view of my future.

By consulting with my professors and searching in internet, I realized that your university has a superb international reputation. Besides I have found that there are many S graduate students there, which will be a fine assistance for me if I get the honor of acceptance into your university; moreover, eminent faculty members with research interests similar to mine &state of the art research facilities have made me to choose your chemical engineering department as my future dream of studying abroad.

Telling about my experiences I can mention that i In my junior year I was granted a student internship at Xx Petrochemical Company. I worked about three months at the urea production unit and became familiar with the complicated process of producing urea from ammonia and CO2.

I am also very enthusiastic about investigation of nonlinear empirical
models such as Nonlinear Auto-Regressive Moving Average with Exogenous Inputs (NARMAX )model to obtain simple&reduced order nonlinear processes models.

Here are a few little tweaks, but how long is this supposed to be? If you have to take anything out, perhaps some of the technical things could be left off, as it is somewhat confusing. Otherwise, nice essay.
OP mmrz 1 / 1  
thanks alot.yes I should eliminate some technical parts.
carthikchem2002 /  
very good essay...but not sure of length

Home / Graduate / My interest in chemical engineering dates from my teens. Provide your comments about my SOP