'My interest in geophysics' - how can I improve my SOP, any things to change?

Jeopol 1 / -  
I am applying for master of geophysics. Please help me, what I should change and what are my mistakes?

==

I am applying to AAA University for admission to master's program in Petroleum Geophysics. I am interested in Marine Seismic Data Processing.

My interest in geophysics begun with my childhood. That times, my family and I moved to another city, and I always tried to find ways to go back at maps. These were first spark of my attention. I searched a lot maps because of this, and it has still been continued. Then, I expanded my viewpoint to geology. I was trying to learn how the earth and universe are formed. When I started high school, I was guided to physics and mathematics class by my teachers. After I graduated from high school, I decided to study geophysics in university. In this way, I would combine my dreams and experiences.

After I enrolled Geophysical Engineering Department of XXX University, I understood that I would achieve all my goals. At the first day of school, the head of department told us "If you want to have a good future, you should studied hard. One day, you will graduate from here, but it is not enough. You should be unique in your fields." That speech inspired me a lot. I believe that to enter and to graduate from master's program is one of the steps to be unique.

During the school years, I attended some certificate programs about petroleum geophysics. I attended Seismic Data Acquisition Course, Marine Seismic Data Acquisition Course Seismic Data Processing, Seismic Data Interpretation, and Petroleum Geology courses which were done by Chamber of Geophysicist. Also, during my internship at Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications, I contributed feasibility works of High-Speed Train Project with using seismic and electric methods of geophysics.

Graduated with 3.13 GPA from XXX University, a career opportunity is presented me at YYY Petroleum Corporation. I passed all their exams, and I was chosen for geophysical engineering for a graduate study in the USA. With this scholarship, I will study marine seismic data processing field.

My primary goals are to specialize in seismic data processing field, and to make contribution to petroleum industry with my studies and researches. To achieve my goals, I need academic and professional background which can be taken by master's education. Because of this, I am convinced that I should apply my education at AAA University . First, I would like to learn more and improve my knowledge about seismic data processing. The master degree would help me sharpen my skills. Another reason for why I want to study at AAA University is that AAA University has excellent opportunities and professor to research at geophysics. Also AAA University is one of the most popular and important university to work at petroleum sector after graduation. I am assured that graduate from AAA University would be great step to achieve my purposes in my career.
andial 21 / 48 3  
I have already tried to scrutinize your SoP concerning your plan to study "petroleum geophysics" as we are in the some boat. Hi, My name is Andi, visioner geophysicist from Indonesia. Currently, I am in process of applying master degree petroleum geophysics at Imperial College London. :-)

Well, the approach given by pahan is quite good approach in dealing with SOP.

After I enrolled Geophysical Engineering Department of XXX University....

Instead of using saying from your academic advisor or someone else. It is highly better to show your own motivation. NOTED: do not judge yourself, try to give fact (something that you have done to show your concrete motivation (research, on job training, project or so forth) and let the reader interpret and judge what kind of person you are :-)

Good luck brother,

andi
(if you are interested to discuss further about this or something else about geophysics i will give you my contact

Home / Graduate / 'My interest in geophysics' - how can I improve my SOP, any things to change?