Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

[International background and education] SOP for PHD in security and privacy

makhdoom 1 / -  
Hi everyone i am applying for phd position in a lab where i am doing my MSc thesis. Please provide your comments on SOP given below. Your comments will be of great impotance to me.

xxx University xxx
July 25, 2010
Dear Sir or Madam:

I am applying for PHD position XXXXXXXXXXXX. My career ambition is to become a doctor and professor of Information Security specially researching on Privacy and Information Security.

I received my bachelor degree in computer and information systems engineering in December, 2007 from NED University of Engineering and Technology. Here I learned the basic concepts of programming languages, data structures, parallel processing, digital signal processing, operating systems, communication systems, digital logic design, computer system modelling and computer architecture. During my third year of bachelor studies, Information security started dragging me towards itself. After receiving bachelor degree, I followed my passion about information security and joined xxx as internal Information Security Auditor.

After a year, I decided to earn M.Sc. Degree with specialization in Information Security. I joined Information and Communication Systems Security program at KTH University, Sweden in august 2009. Reason for joining ICSS program at KTH was that, the program is specific study subject prepared for information security specialist and researchers. During my Master's studies, I focused on security of distributed systems as well as organization and management of secure systems. Courses that I have studied provided me with the relevant knowledge and understanding within the information security and developed my skills and capacities to analyze and synthesize complex security phenomena and problems. I have completed my course work with very good grades.

Currently I am working on my master thesis at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx under the supervision of Professor Dr xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Here focus of my research is to answer how different walking speeds (Fast, Slow and Normal) and different undergrounds (Grass, Gravel and Hill) influence Accelerometer-based Gait Recognition. Two weeks ago, I have completed my practical work and now I am writing my Master thesis report. I planned to present my master thesis in September 2011.

I want to continue graduate studies at xxxxxxxxxxxx because of your outstanding educational system, focus on gathering relevant work experience, and your excellent facilities. My stay in xxxxxx gave me an opportunity of speaking with students and professors from your university and I am confident of my decision. It is very important for a PHD candidate to figure out best suitable research project in a research lab, which offers an excellent working environment and postgraduate training. Before applying for this position, I gathered all my skills and I found that I have very good understanding of all the prerequisites of this position. I found myself as a multi-skilled object ready for instantiation. During my thesis work, I figured out that xxxxxx has maintained excellent repute over the years, and offers post graduate training and provides excellent working environment. With many distinguished scientists as professors, I know that I will gain expert knowledge at the forefront of discovery and innovation.

Given my history of commitment to excellence and my passion, I am confident that I will bring a high level of energy and enthusiasm to your program. I am sure to exceed your expectations, because of both my academic and interpersonal skills as well as the experience gained from my previous working experiences. I will enrich the program by enabling fellow researcher and students and professors to benefit from my ambitious and open nature. Furthermore, my international background and interdisciplinary education will add more diversity to your program.

Sincerely yours,
Makhdoom Nawaz Shah

Home / Graduate / [International background and education] SOP for PHD in security and privacy