Graduate Inustrial Engineering Dept. Application Academic, Research and Professional.

mglaz1 2 / 13  
Academic

List scholarships and/or fellowships you received as an undergraduate or have received or applied for your graduate study (please distinguish between those applied for and those received).

Graduate Teaching Fellowship (received) - Management Science Department, George Washington University. My many duties included OR research, holding recitation sessions for the MBA course "Production and Operations Management", and evaluating management science software for the department.

Academic

List academic recognitions, honors, extracurricular activities and memberships including honor societies.

1. Dean's List (3.5 GPA) for 2 Semesters-University of Massachusetts, Industrial Engineering /Operations Research program.

2. University of Massachusetts APICs Chapter Delegate- I represented the chapter at all local APICS meetings.

3. University of Massachusetts Bicycle Club Member- I participated in regular rides and on a 12 day Bicycle tour of Florida set the record (along with fellow tour mates) for the longest one-day ride of 123 miles.

4. While an undergraduate IE/OR major at the University of Massachusetts, my capstone project group paper was chosen out of many to represent the IEOR department at the Institute of Industrial Engineers Northeast Regional Technical Paper Contest. The paper was titled "A Production Planning and Control System for the AMPAD Corporation". It won an Honorable Mention

5. Institute of Industrial Engineers Student Member while at the University of Massachusetts

List titles of publications, proceedings, reports, or theses authored or co-authored; if published provide citation. -None-

Have you taken the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam? ____ Yes __x__No
If you have received results from the FE, did you pass? ____Yes __ No

Previous Research Experience

Describe your Senior Thesis/Design project or other academic research experience. Be specific about the skills you used to do analysis, work within a team environment, and/or create a final product (manufacturing). If you have already completed your MS degree, describe your research here, in detail.

My undergraduate senior capstone design project, "A Production Planning and Control System for the AMPAD Corporation", was a culmination of my undergraduate training, and a chance to apply many of the techniques I had learned in my studies to a real world project. Students in the course where broken up into teams of 5 or 6 ,given a company site, then assigned the task of analyzing company operations and implementing modern production planning control, and operations research techniques. By the end of the project, our team had gained much insight into the complexities of a "real world" environment, and the challenges, both technical and managerial, of utilizing industrial engineering techniques.

My team was assigned to the AMPAD paper manufacturing company in Holyoke, MA. Initially, our whole team went out to the plant to tour the operation, meet with managers to discuss the operational issues at the plant, and decide the scope of our work. Our project scope consisted of implementing a computerized MRPII system, cost analysis, demand forecast modeling, and a revised plant layout.

After initial analysis each member of out team was assigned individual tasks including initial research, data collection, and analysis. Specific skills our team used included exponential smoothing, from-to charts, process flow diagramming, and FORTRAN programming. After research and subsequent phases of the project our team had group meetings to discuss progress, brainstorm issues, and next steps in the project. There where subsequent group trips to the plant to collect more data, analyze process flows and follow-up with management on progress. A final presentation was made in plant to AMPAD management at the end of the semester, and to the class at the university.

In addition to this undergraduate experience, I have also performed academic research while a Graduate Teaching Fellow at The George Washington University. My tasks where to assist faculty by performing literature reviews of topics in statistics and operation research, and to use university library resources to find articles in journals and texts related to their research.

Professional Experience

Describe your professional experiences, including research, internship experiences, or involvement with professional societies on or off a college campus.
My professional experiences most recently include programming and systems analysis (detailed on my resume), and assignments in the applied operations research area earlier in my career. My work is project oriented, all with the central idea of applying technology to solve business problems.

After getting my undergraduate degree in IE/OR at UMASS-Amherst I was a Technical Analyst in the area of Applied Operations Research and Information Systems at the Volpe National Transportation research center in Cambridge, MA. I studied inventory, informational and operational problems at the main FAA Depot in Oklahoma City. I also helped in performing a cost/benefit analysis to justify a computerized scheduling system (TRAMS). In addition to this experience, upon completing my MBA studies at George Washington University, I worked on a project as an Operations Research Analyst at the National Marine Fisheries Service (NOAA) in Woods Hole, MA. There, I used Expert Choice decision analysis software and linear programming to make better budget allocation decisions in the research and planning division at the center.

My involvement in professional societies has extended beyond the college experiences detailed in the first part of this application. I am currently an INFORMS member, and look forward to attending the Northeastern Regional Conference this month. During my computer career, I often frequented

Microsoft development user groups at their facility in Waltham, MA. I presented my work at the now defunct Visual FoxPro user group, and frequently attended "Code Camp" weekend seminars to learn about all the great Microsoft development technology.
Hi Michael, sorry for the delay...

hyphen: one-day ride of 123 miles.

My undergraduate senior capstone design project, "A Production Planning and Control System for the AMPAD Corporation", was a requirement of the senior level Industrial Engineering course "Production Planning and Control".

Look at what this sentence tells the reader. It does not convey a useful message. Change this sentence so that it tells the reader what that project reflects about your seriousness and resolve to make a big splash in your chosen field. :-)

You need a strong sentence at the end of this first paragraph, too:
Students in the course where broken up into teams of 5 or 6 and given a company site , assigned the task of analyzing company operations, and implementing modern production planning control, and operations research techniques. (Add a sentence that explains how this related to the SINGLE, BIG IDEA you want to convey.)

The whole application needs a theme. YOU need a theme. Always remember this before you write anything: the reader will only remember one idea, so make it a "catchy," clever idea.

Besides my current programming and systems analysis experience detailed on my resume, I have worked in the applied operations research area earlier in my career.-----All of your writing is very professional, but right here all you are doing is NAMING an area of experience (i.e. applied ops research). When you make the reader read a whole sentence, make it worthwhile. Make it meaningful.

the key to doing that is to know your message. What is the profound message? The single message the reader will remember about you.

:-)
OP mglaz1 2 / 13  
Thanks Kevin,

I am working on a revision which will be posted shortly.

Mike :)
My undergraduate senior capstone design project, "A Production Planning and Control System for the AMPAD Corporation", was a

I think a short sentence should precede this one... catch the reader's attention before hitting her with that capstone project. :-)

This is so professionally written. I see no errors... but I have advice. Do not ONLY answer their questions about your experience. Instead, take every opportunity (especially at the beginning and/or end of a paragraph) to remind the reader of your mission, you unforgettable purpose you are trying to achieve in the long term. Inspire the reader with your preoccupation with this vision of the future. That is how to motivate the reader to action.

Great job! Thanks for your rigorous effort, which sets a great example for the younger students.
OP mglaz1 2 / 13  
Kevin,

Thanks for all the help. Good writing is hard work. Your comments have really helped me in preparing my statements to graduate school, and the advice is free!:)

Glad it helps other students too.

Mike

Home / Graduate / Graduate Inustrial Engineering Dept. Application Academic, Research and Professional.