The Invention of new technology always become the trigger of revolution - SOP

hkurn31new 2 / -  
master program of material science engineering statement of purpose

The Invention of new technology always become the trigger of revolution. Steam engine became the mother of the birth of industrial machine which increase productivity and train which made transportation faster, created rapid economic growth. Computer was born by the invention of microprocessor, change our way to process the data. Internet changes our way to get information and communicate, make the world borderless. To create and invention we need improvements on science and technology and apply them in real life to significantly improve the quality of human's life. That passion on science and technology brought me to Chemical Engineering which has many relative fields of study.

In my undergraduate years I studied the fundamental of science and engineering. I also studied Organic Chemical, Polymers, Construction Materials and Corrosion. General chemistry introduced me to atomic and subatomic characteristic of materials. Course like Physics gave knowledge about electrostatics. During my study I participated some competition and scholarship selection to see how good I was on some field. I got Academic Achievment Scholarship from Ministry of Education and Culture for two periods. I also won the 1st Place of Blog Competition, held by UGM Yogyakarta. I wrote about the side effect of internet on kid's life. I was on Top 10 National Water Conservation Blog Competition, held by AQUA. I realized that I need more about organizational and communication skill. That is why I joined on Campus English Club as secretary and on my department Moslem Family as head of Public Relation Division.

After graduation I became a freelance writer. I write several articles about clean energy, education , and social life. I also worked for a subsidiary of a multi national company, Asahi Glass Company Japan. I learn a lot about how to mix raw materials and manipulate operation condition to get a high quality product. I also got a lot of knowledge and experience on other field such as accounting, management, marketing, etc.

My research is about microbial fuel cell from molasses. I choose this topic because I was interested on how to harvest energy from unconventional source. I read on internet that there are other kind of fuel cell technology which use graphene. Since that time I become very courious on graphene. Many researchers say that graphene will revolutionary change the human's life. It can provide clean water, make the airplane lighter, and provide energy for electric car.

Now we are living in the era that we can not be far away from gadget. Laptop, tablet, smartphone, and even other "smart wearable gadgets" have become a must have and a must always ready things for our daily life. Ten years ago I charged my handphone once and I could use it for three days but now sometimes I have to charge my phone three times a day. Then I ask myself , is there any material that can replace this old battery technology? The material must be light, have high energy density ,and have quick charging capability and I simply remember about the application of graphene.

My curiosity about the graphene battery has become the reason for me to continue my education to the higher level and fortunately I got information about a university that focus on research and technology development located at the shores of the red sea. I wanto study about how to make graphene and the application of it to improve the quality of human's life. Specifically I want to study about the capability of the graphene energy storage and Material Science and Engineering Department will be suitable choice for me to pursue my master program. KAUST offers excellent research facilities , best researchers and professor around the world to work with which is very important for my future career plan as a researcher. Severals research centers also make inter discipline research possible. I will be very happy If I get the opportunity to work with Prof. Hussam Al Shareef who is focusing his research on graphene battery. For the long term, establish a start up which focus on graphene battery or any other advanced technology will be my dream and I believe the facilities such as Technology Transfer Office, The Seed Fund, The Entrepreneur Centre will help me to make my dreams come true. I am also very interested on the diversity of the population. It gives the people in KAUST the opportunity to know different culture from many countries and make a global connection. I am confident that I have the necessary spirit, intellectual competence and required skill to succed on your master program. I look forward to join your esteemed university.
Hi Henry, I have reviewed what you have written and I have to honestly tell you that this statement does not present the necessary information required in a strong masters statement of purpose. There was a failure on your part to present the most basic and required information for this type of essay. The information that is lacking in your essay includes the following:

1. Your current profession and your length of service in that field.
2. The reason for your interest in pursuing this masters degree, normally associated with work needs such as promotions or a change of career within a related field.

3. Your relevant hands on training or seminars attended with a discreet mention of your college major.
4. Your long and short term goals upon completion of the masters degree.
5. How the university you are applying to fits into these plans and how it can help you achieve your goals and ambitions.

As you can see, the required information is far different from what you currently have written which sounds more like a college application essay than anything else.

Home / Graduate / The Invention of new technology always become the trigger of revolution - SOP