(St. Joseph's Nursing School) Nursing Admissions Essay

jbarrett 1 / -  
The following will tell you all about why I want to become a nurse, how I think I would benefit the field, and why I would really like to do so at St. Joseph's College of Nursing. The truth is I could probably go on and on about why I believe nursing is the right career for me and also how much I already love St. Joe's but here are the main reasons, summed up.I am a very kind, caring person, I think in nursing it is really important to care about your patients. It would be important to me to make sure they were getting the best care possible, and in doing so help them to be as comfortable as possible. I'm also a good listener, I'm really a people person. I don't listen to people because I feel I have to, I like to. I like to hear their story, where they've been, where they're going or even just how their day has been. I like people, and even more then that I like helping people.This recent experience in my life helped lead me to this decision. My uncle got into a car accident a few years ago, and then due to a lot of complications he was in and out of hospitals for about three years. When I say in and out I mean mostly in. It was awful to see him doing really good one week and come back to have him not being able to talk. At first I hated going to the hospitals, it upset me to see him in the condition he was in and I felt like no matter where he was he wasn't getting the treatment he needed. We talked a lot, I asked a lot how everyone was treating him. As always, he had his good nurses and doctors, and then some he wasn't so fond of. It was crazy to see how much happier, and physically better he would be if he was getting good care and in a place he liked. It was his "favorite nurses" that really got me seriously thinking that maybe this is a profession I would really enjoy. I'd like to be that nurse that turns a patient around not only physically but also emotionally. After a very long hard fight he unfortunately died, and even then the nurses were there to listen, and even lend a shoulder to cry on. They were there from the start doing everything they could to help not only my uncle but my whole family. That was the first time I realized this really could be the job for me.My mom is also a big reason I decided to go into nursing. When she was in nursing school it looked awful. She had so much homework, she was very stressed, and it really tried her emotions as well. When she graduated though, she was gleaming. She graduated with honors and she just really seemed very proud of herself. Of course I was proud of her, doing it all while raising me and my brother. I'm sure I'll have even more respect and gratitude toward her while I go through school. I've always said I will choose a job that I love because if you love your work, it's not really work. I want to go to a job that I don't dread, a place that I can be myself and help others. I think nursing would really be a perfect job for me. Others tell me that as well, when I tell them I want to go into nursing. They say they can really see my thriving in that field and loving it. Admittedly, I was not completely sure that this is what I want to do with my life at first. Working at the coffee shop at St. Joseph's has really made my mind up. I get the chance to talk to all different kind of people working in the hospital. Not only doctors and nurses, but people who work in the cafeteria, house keepers, and security guards.. St. Joe's really seems like a good community. I've made friendships through work. Often after telling people who work that the hospital that I hope to go to nursing school they offer help, guidance, and advice. I have also had an opportunity to talk to students from the school. They have all told me great things. Most say it's hard, really hard, but if you love it and you put your mind to it you'll be happy. I want to go to nursing school no matter what but I'd really love to go to St. Joe's Nursing School to be a part of this great community that I already feel like I am a part of from just working at the coffee shop. I want the teachers at St. Joe's to help mold me into the great nurse I know I can be if I put my mind to it. I'm confident that I can do well at St. Joe's. In high school my grades weren't all that great however, at Onondaga Community College I changed my career path to nursing and since then I have been happy and confident in my choice. My grades have really showed improvement since then and now more then ever I work very hard to get good grades. Instead of settling for average grades I am really striving for my best work, and the best grades possible. I've made up my mind and I will do everything it takes from this point on to walk the stage at as a graduate of St. Joseph's Nursing School.

Instructions for essay:
- Life experiences that have influenced your career choice of nursing
- Personal qualities you possess that will contribute to a career in nursing
- Contributions you will make to the profession of nursing
maybeAhoya 3 / 5  
I thought your essay was top notch...but it did have some minor mistakes. Proof read it one more time and I think you'll be fine.

Home / Graduate / (St. Joseph's Nursing School) Nursing Admissions Essay