As a kid I was curious to know the source of sound from that radio - statement of purpose for Msc

him827 2 / 3  
I still remember my grandfather used to listen songs on radio every evening. As a kid I was curious to know the source of sound from that radio. Oneday, I decided to open it up. I found some electronic components inside it. Before I could analyse anything, my grandpa ran after me with his stick. That was my first encounter with electronic components and his stick.

My interest in electronics and communication devices grew strongly afterwards. That interest led me to opt for Electronics and Communication for my undergraduate studies. My undergraduate curriculum exposed me to a wide gamut of courses like computer networks, analog communication, digital communication, wave propagation and microelectronics. I did my summer training at Doordarshan Kendra (public service national broadcaster). There I learnt about the various stages (power supply control, signal generation, signal processing, transmission and reception) and processes involved in an efficient communication process. My undergraduate project titled "Drip Irrigation system using GSM modem" involved the design of microcontroller based real time feedback control system that monitors and controls the various parameters like moisture, temperature and pressure of air at remote location. The GSM modem sends the information to the farmer at remote location.

After completing my B.E, I joined Mtech in Instrumentation and control engineering at XYZ. There I was introduced to new exciting subjects - Neural networks, optimal control systems, digital control systems and robotics. All the courses were taught in English. My Mtech dissertation title was "Investigation into Quality of service in ZigBee based Wireless sensor networks". The simulation models were designed on OPNET 14.5. The various prominent issues in wireless sensor networks like mobility, coverage and connectivity, scalability and heterogeneity have been investigated by observing the QoS parameters like MAC delay, throughput, packet delay etc. I want to work on other issues of WSN like data assimilation, security and routing.

Whatever I have studied in my bachelor and master degrees has formed a strong base and I would like to build on it by joining a unique course in 'Wireless sensors and Embedded systems' offered by the university. I want to develop the practical understanding of all the aspects of Wireless sensor networks. I am specifically drawn to the curriculum of this course particularly the intelligent sensor fusion module and mobile robotics and wireless sensors module.

I look forward to a career in research where I can use not only my academic background to achieve my research goals but also make original contributions to my country. I believe that graduate studies would provide me with the opportunities to attend advanced courses and would be the stepping-stone to my career in research.

I am confident that University of XXX is the right place where I could see the fruition of my budding ambitions. I am sure with persistent efforts, I shall be able to develop my engineering skills to the standards set by the institute and be a worthy alumnus. It will provide me a great opportunity to be a part of this global village culture and work with students from different nations.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
firstywrites 4 / 13 1  
I still remember how my grandfather used to listen to songs on the radio every evening. As a kid, I was curious where the sound came from. So one day, I decided to open it up. I found some electronic components inside. Before I could analyse anything, my grandpa ran after me with his stick. That was my first encounter with electronic components and his stick.

How about this?
Archlefirth 3 / 9 3  
" All the courses were taught in English" -- this sentence is unnecessary and not relevant to the context of the paragraph
" fruition of my budding ambitions" -- to complete the metaphor say "flowering of my budding ambitions"

other than the errors firstywrites mentioned...your essay is solid!

good luck!
utkarsh3997 1 / 1  
Thanks for the help on my essay!
As for yours, is this a personal statement or an answer to a specific essay prompt?
For the time, I'm assuming it's a personal statement.

"... issues in wireless sensor networks like mobility, coverage and connectivity, scalability and heterogeneity have been investigated by..." ==> Continue tense usage as you have done in the rest of the paragraph. Use "were" in place of "have been."

"...the intelligent sensor fusion module and mobile robotics and wireless sensors module." ==> Remove the first "and."

Also, what firstywrites and Archlefirth pointed out. Especially where you wrote that all courses were taught in English. Remove it. It is irrelevant.

Overall, I think your essay is great content-wise. Goodluck!
You are not writing a formal letter so there is no need to say thank you at the end. You are writing a statement of purpose essay. After having read your work though, I feel that the actual SOP does not start until you reach this particular paragraph:

After completing my B.E, I joined Mtech in Instrumentation and control engineering at XYZ. ...

Try to insert your current training in the essay and its relevance to your aspirations for the future. Make sure to indicate how these studies will help you become better at your profession either through a job promotion or career change in a related field. Those are the kinds of information that you need to provide in order to show your professional accomplishments and ability to undertake future complicated studies.
OP him827 2 / 3  
I want to develop the practical understanding of all the aspects of Wireless sensor networks. I am specifically drawn to the curriculum of the course particularly the intelligent sensor fusion module, mobile robotics and wireless sensors module.

This study will certainly help me in gaining all the necessary skills required to excel in the field of wireless communication. After doing this study, I would be better able to implement my knowledge for the benefit of society.

I am confident that University of XXX is the right place where I could see the flowering of my budding ambitions

how about this...added some lines
plz look at first para...is it fine?

if not plz tell me how should i start my SOP
Start your SOP with answers to this very basic outline:

1. What field of study do you want to master in?
2. Do you have the relevant work experience or training in the field in order to claim the need for advanced studies?
3. What is your ultimate goal in completing advanced studies?
4. Present a summary of your current work experience and training which could convince the admissions officer that you have what it takes to succeed as a graduate student.

Your essay really needs to only answer those 4 questions in order to be effective in presenting your statement of purpose.
godfreychatira 2 / 4 1  
Don't be too formal fellow student. At the end don`t` concatenate with Thank you for your time and consideration.

Home / Graduate / As a kid I was curious to know the source of sound from that radio - statement of purpose for Msc