"I knew I wanted to be a doctor..." - PTCAS Physical Therapy school application essay

tmettenburg 1 / 2  
I am currently applying for Doctorate of Physical Therapy programs. Anything to help with my essay would be greatly appreciated. This is what I have so far.

Essay Question: Describe your decision making process in choosing physical therapy as a career choice versus other health care careers.

Ever since I was a little boy, I knew I wanted to be a doctor in health care. It was over time that I realized what type of doctor that was and is now. I always heard stories full of fulfillment and gratification from family and friends who work in health care. They are all nurses, nurse anesthetists, medical doctors, dentists and radiologists. So I have heard from a wide range of fields.

When it was time for college I had decided to work towards a career as a nurse anesthetist. Looking back on that decision, I am not sure exactly why. The nurse anesthetist I knew seemed happy in the career. They helped people. They did not work outlandish hours. They made a lot of money. Other than helping people, these things did not mean anything to me. I had no passion for the field. About a few months into my sophomore year of college I decided this was not my path.

I started looking at myself. What are my passions? Ever since I took my first human anatomy and physiology class in high school, I love learning about the human body. Such a complicated and yet beautifully working machine. After my first weight lifting class in high school, I found a new passion. Exercising has become an important part of my life.

I knew what I wanted my career to be around so I wanted to figure out exactly what I did not want in a career. I do not want to work with prescription drugs. I feel like they are overused. I prefer not to have to be on-call. My thought on prescription drugs sparked another thought. I want to help prevent the need of medical treatment. Knowing this, my passions, and what I did not want, physical therapy came to mind. Thus, I started to research the career.

A perfect combination of exercise, anatomical knowledge, and diagnostics. None of the things I saw in anesthesia mattered anymore. I found something I could really enjoy. I observed a couple physical therapists to get a realistic perception of the field before making a decision. I loved everything about it. The initial assessment, developing a treatment plan, personalizing treatments for each client, and helping clients overcome challenge. It is everything I can hope for in a career.

Before the ending of the semester I changed my major and started towards a career in physical therapy. There has not been a day that I regret it.
It was over time that I realized what type of doctor that was and is now.

... this has not come right :(
Over the years, I realized that what type of medical profession I am interested in.

When it was time for college I had decided to work towards a career as a nurse anesthetist. Looking back on that decision, I am not sure exactly why.

When it was time for college, I decided to work towards a career as a nurse anesthetist without exactly being convinced why I chose it.

The nurse anesthetist I knew seemed happy in the career. They helped people. They did not work outlandish hours. They made a lot of money. Other than helping people, these things did not mean anything to me. I had no passion for the field. About a few months into my sophomore year of college I decided this was not my path.

The nurse anesthetist seemed a successful career; they help people, not so exhausting, make lots of money. However, I was not keen on any of those things other than the helping people part. I soon found that I had no passion for the field and in a few months into my sophomore year of college, I decided to change my path.

Home / Graduate / "I knew I wanted to be a doctor..." - PTCAS Physical Therapy school application essay