'Learning is an essential pathway to success' - compare and contrast essay

saakshi 2 / 3  
prompt: compare and contrast knowledge gained from books and knowledge gained from experiences. which one do you prefer and why?

Learning is an essential pathway to success. It can be either intellectual learning or learning about different aspects of life. Both help us to grow and succeed in our lives. We can learn various things, from books as well as from experiences. Both teaches us almost similar things with the only difference that, whatever we learn from books are ideal things. On the other hand, experiences teaches us practical things. Whatever we read in books we can experience it only when we practice them.

Personally, learning from experiences is more important because in my opinion, when we learn something by experience we memorize it more effectively. As compared when we learn something from books. For example, I had done my graduation from a dental college in delhi. During my third year of graduation, we were made to learn root canal treatment techniques from textbooks. We were not allowed to practice it on patients. The techniques were very complicated and difficult to remember at least for me. And I had always scored less marks in it. But as soon as we were allowed to practice it on patients during my final year, the same techniques become much easier to memorize. Because of the hands on experience, I could remember every step of the technique and also the complications which would occur if I miss any step. so apart from basics I had also gained additional knowledge.

In addition to effective memory, when we learn from experiences, along with the basics we also learn different modifications of the thing which we discover while practicing it. And this sometimes make things much easier and faster. For example, I had learnt from my textbooks about different instruments which are used in root canal treatment. But what if you are about do a patient and discovered that some of the instruments are not available or are damaged? The answer to this, I had learnt from my experience, that how any other instrument can be used to function in the same way as the required instrument.

By way of conclusion, based on the arguments explored above, im of opinion that books and experiences both are essential part of learning. Where books makes us learn basics, experiences makes us learn the practicle use of whatever we have learnt from books
SHanafi 120 / 415 93  
Both teaches us almost similar things with the only difference that, whatever we learn from books are ideal things. On the other hand, experiences teaches us practical things.

brilliant idea !!
I like your explaining, I can catch what you meant.

Personally, in such paragraph I suggest you to add the beneficial of gaining knowledge from book instead of experience. It can make the comparison and contrast that the prompt required look more clearly.
OP saakshi 2 / 3  
hey,
thank you so much for your feedback. i will definitely use your advice in other compare and contrast questions. :)

Home / Graduate / 'Learning is an essential pathway to success' - compare and contrast essay