I like numbers, I like stocks, and I like programming. MIT essay.

Stevexu 1 / 1  
Questions: Please discuss past academic and professional experiences and accomplishments that will help you succeed in the MFin program. Include achievements in finance, math, statistics, and computer science as applicable.

Describe your short-and-long-term professional goals. How will our MFin degree help you achieve these goals?

Share personal qualities that will enable you to contribute to the advancement of our mission.

Relevant, verifiable details are requested. Your response should be written in essay format (500 or fewer words).

I like numbers, I like stocks, and I like programming. With these wants, I attended a college with a double major in mathematics and computer science and tried to find some areas to fit my abilities in math and programming into my interests in finance. I believe financial engineering is the perfect blend of mathematics, computer science and finance.

After laying a solid foundation of financial knowledge and programming skills during my undergraduate study, I decided to broaden my quantitative skills by putting into practice to see whether the formula works in reality. I deduced the Black-Scholes Equation from a discrete asset price model and calculated the Call/Put option value formula by Fourier transformation. Then, I built the financial model to track the 60-day moving average of stock price and calculated the daily return of the stock price by using Python. Owing to my forecasting model, I earned $8000 in four months as my first pot of gold. To further gain first-hand understanding of this field, I secured an internship with a commercial bank in last summer. My main responsibility was to make the credit analysis for a enterprise that applied for 2 million yuan loan and help the client to set up a real estate investment trust worthy of 2 million yuan.

Aside from financial practice, I also developed my programming skills including App design, machine learning, search engine optimization and imagines mosaicking. When finishing the course of App design, I created an App to provide the real-time location of autism children to their parents and help autism children contact their parents with emergency. This strengthened my faith to make the world a better place by coding. As machine learning has increasingly gained more popularity recently, I spent all my time developing the machine learning model based on support vector machine with Gradient boosting and Random forest. As a result, my machine learning model outperformed peers and ranked 13th out of 200 models in terms of forecasting accuracy in the competition. Also, I used Matlab to realize the function of imagines mosaicking and warping by analyzing the pixels of images.

Upon graduation from the program, I will seek a position as a quantitative analyst in the short-term. In three to five years, once I have become adapt in financial analysis and drafting reports, I will move into a senior associate position. In the long-term, I would like to become an entrepreneur and start my own investment firm to be able to help small enterprises in TMT areas or other burgeoning industries.

Being a double major in Mathematics and Computer Science, what I lack is the financial market knowledge which can equip me with financial theories and global insights for capital markets. I believe the Master in Finance Program in MIT is the best fit for me. The school has an abundance of resources in its alumni network and industry connections. Each year, countless successful alumni visit MIT to deliver lectures and attend conferences. Particularly, the Student-Alumni Mentoring Program offers me an opportunity to gain direct interaction with some of the most influential power in the global finance industry. Not only will I gain unique industry insights, but will also reshape and refine my way of thinking. The academic rigor at Sloan is top-notch. The curriculum of the Master in. Finance program covers important finance topics in great depth, such as financial theory and financial mathematics. Electives like financial technology is of particular interest to me as I aim to develop specialized knowledge in the blend of technology and finance. I simply cannot wait to land in this place to learn and explore.
Steve, your statement is good but lacks verifiable information. The following areas of your essay require, as per the instructions you provided from the university, verifiable information for the reference and verification of the reviewer:

1. College you attended as a double major.
2. Company you were associated with when you made $8000. Bank you were connected with as an intern and your length of stay with them.
3. Title of the app you developed, place where the app was released (Apple store, Playstore, etc).
4. Name of the competition you joined including the year and your final place in the winner listing.

Your final paragraph referring to the student-mentor program of MIT is misplaced. There is nothing in the prompt asking you why MIT will be a perfect fit for you and yet you are offering information regarding that. You actually lessened the strength of your essay because of the inclusion of this paragraph. You could have closed on a hugely strong note with your 5 year career plan instead.

Your essay is impressive in terms of information. What you need to do is make sure that the reviewer can verify all of the information that you have provided. So take note of the information that you need to add to the essay in order to make it as strong as possible in terms of informing the reviewer.
OP Stevexu 1 / 1  
@Holt Thanks a lot for your great advice. I will add those detailed information in the revised essay. The last paragraph is trying to explain how the program will help me achieve my career goal. But it is too long and I will make it short and combine it with the paragraph of career goals. Besides, is there any problem of grammar or wording in the essay?
Hi Steve. With regards to the grammar in the essay, I would have to say that the language you used is acceptable enough. Honestly, there is room to improve the language used in the essay but I never advise my students to do any grammatical corrections while the essay is still in its drafting stages. The reason being that the editing of the grammar comes with the adjustments to the content of the essay. At this point, I would like to see the kind of revision you will do to the essay before we focus on perfecting the content of the essay, along with the grammar corrections. Go ahead and revise the last paragraph if you feel that it is necessary with regards to your personal information in the essay. Let's see if we can merge it in a better manner with the rest of the content. I'm looking forward to reading your revised essay as soon as you are ready to share it here.

Home / Graduate / I like numbers, I like stocks, and I like programming. MIT essay.