"Living In the Oldest City In The World"-SOP Master in Architecture

yamenkh 2 / 8  
Description :
Well ...as you can notice I'm trying to get a master degree in architecture. Unfortunately, my country Syria may encounter an imminent war and that could delay me if I tried to get the master degree due to governmental facilities and universities closing. Anyway, I don't want to make the SOP like propitiating the university but at the same time I want to state facts. ...so I draft some thoughts .I need serious help with this because my GPA is not that good...please feel free to ask me about further Information... thanks in advanced.

University SOP instructions:
In approximately 500 words, describe your background, your past work in your intended field of study, and your plans for graduate study and a professional career.If you have not yet come to a decision about your career, or if your plans are tentative, please do not hesitate to say so.

The statement:

A passion ,a vocation ,a calling as well as science and business. It has been described as a social art and also an artful science. I consider it architecture.

Many architects whom I have met over the course of my education and career seem to share the same story of always wanting to be an architect since they can remember. That's not my story. I did not aspire to be an architect until much later in my youth. In fact, it did not start off as an aspiration but a suggestion for my consideration when I came to decide what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Before the idea of an architect was ever considered, I wanted to be an astronaut or graphic designer. I've always have an interests of drawing and space exploration. I began drawing at a very young age, I drew on anything provided me with a blank plane, even white walls. I think my natural gift in art is moderate but it was something I enjoyed. Although being an astronaut could seems far from subject art and architecture, but I admired exploring mysterious space and seeing objects from different perspectives other than ground. This required physical training, which I did not think I had the strength and stamina to go through.

It's no surprise my father is an architect as he inspired me with his work and projects. I kept observing and helping him while he was working, planning, and interacting with people until I realize that architecture is much more than just building houses.

I enrolled in architecture school at International University for Science & Technology (IUST) in Syria for five years, Damascus the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world is challenging as it must preserve the fabric of the past in its contemporary design. I enjoyed doing that using computer programs such as 3Ds MAX and CAD. My professors were either Iraqis or Syrians who had studied in foreign countries, so there were a diverse opinions and different points of view in every project I completed.At that time my journey began to open my eyes and mind to the world of architecture.

Education alone did not inspire me to be an architect. It was from educational trip to Spain in 2008 at my 3rd year.I travelled all over Spain looking at modernist and contemporary architecture, specially those by Antonio Gaudi : Sagrada Familia one of my favourite buildings. We also visited Palau Nacional and El Pabellón de Barcelona by Mies Van der Rohe. The Reina Sofia Museum in Madrid by Jean Nouvel .I remember being impressed with what was happening architecturally in Spain . The architecture was progressive and slick in their forms and materials. The spaces within were full of character and complexities that played with light and program. I wanted to do that. I wanted to build those buildings in Damascus.

Unfortunately, unstable conditions in Syria are affecting my concentration and preventing me from achieving my dream of attending graduate school. After graduate school ,I plan to rebuild my country with new urban landmarks - memorial and residential projects.

Columbia university was my choice because I want to learn from the best and be with the best. Also, I'm looking forward to learn about NYC architecture such as Guggenheim Museum one of Frank Lloyd Wright's most recognizable architectural masterpieces. My professors were either Iraqis or Syrians who had studied in foreign countries, so there were a diverse opinions and different points of view in every project I completed.

My aspiration is to create something that has a positive impact on society and the people who occupy them. Being an architect may not be a childhood dream of mine but it is something I've been inspired to become because I want to do good creative things.
chalumeau /  
Let me know what you think of my revisions to your essay.
Architecture is a fascinating subject.

OP yamenkh 2 / 8  
Dear Chalumeau :

Thanks for editing, that was very useful. I'll try to re-post it soon considering your editing.
Also, its a nice idea to talk about NYC projects ,but adding drawings won't be necessary because all architecture departments
already ask students to send a Portfolio contain drawings and past project work.

PS: What do you refer to by underlined phrases?

best regards ...

Yamen Kharsa
TanvirBD - / 9  
thanks for all,
nice a subjact
chalumeau /  
The words that were underlined were added by me.
I would still find a way to put something of your talent
on the page. I would make the page as
personalized as possible.
Possibilities:
Photo of a project at the top
Using your sketches as a page border?
3-D hologram of a building or project?

I think that the page border is a beautiful idea.
And spend time thinking about the font too.

You want to stand out from the rest without
being a joke. If it's too much or too crazy, then
you'll be a joke in HR. Subtle and tasteful will
open their eyes.
OP yamenkh 2 / 8  
OMG you're completely right about the "joke" thing !!!
now I can imagine what did you think while you were reading that draft !!! hehe...
I'll see what I can do...cause I'm applying online and the website system don't upload files exceed 600 KB in size and should be in .doc, .wpd, .rtf, .xls, .pdf, .docx, .xlsx or .txt

thank you very much.

regards...
chalumeau /  
I didn't mean to say that you or your essay were a joke.
I simply meant that adding extras to your essay
is probably expected.
OP yamenkh 2 / 8  
I was about to show you the SOP final design but the constraint here is annoying >>like I can't upload a PDF file or a JPG over 200kb !!

I mean the whole PDF is 2 pages (530kb) and if I try to convert every page into a JPG it won't be under 200kb ...really annoying ;(...

Anyway I still can upload this as compressed pic ...let's see

chalumeau /  
Wow Yamen.
That's an amazing design.
I like the 1st page design better than the 2nd b/c your designs are more of a background.
But the 2nd page has some wonderful photos. Be careful that the image in the last two
paragraphs is not too dark.

I can't see the pages as a full screen either. They are very much minimized. I am sooooo computer illiterate that I don't even know how to magnify the image! (please don't make fun.) Is there a magnifier with these jpg files? They always open into a small screen.

I'll check the text again if you wish.

Nevermind I figured out how to enlarge the graphics! I'll send you a revised version. At first glance I noticed a lot of the commas ( the ,) are spaced incorrectly.
OP yamenkh 2 / 8  
very well then ...don't worry it's not about computer ill iterating ;) but they way to upload files on here is primitive...they should allow PDF files at least ! Anyway, if you want to see it with better resolution you should give me an Email address to send it 4 you

otherwise , after you open the image above, just right click on it to choose "save image as " order,then choose the path you want save it in (just save it on your desktop) and open it again with any photo viewer program you have.

Unfortunately the image resolution gonna be low :(

By the way I post the same text in images on here separated...just check again. You don't have to read from images
and YES please I'll be glade if you send me a revised version.
I'm really done with this essay XP...don't tell anyone what we're doing till I get the acception..kiddin

regards...
chalumeau /  
Ok. Here's the most recent revision. Nice work.

OP yamenkh 2 / 8  
about NYC buildings , well I know many buildings hahaha...but I thought this essay is getting longer...anyway I mentioned these building :
" I'm looking forward to learning about NYC architectural masterpieces, such as the Guggenheim Museum, Grand Central terminal park is my favorite , Norman Foster's Hearst Tower

, IAC Building, the Morgan Library extension and Chrysler building"

Are these enough ? or they're too many?
by the way are you a new yorker?

@ paper design : I know what do you mean...but the border idea is too classic + pictures gonna be too small to see what's in it

maybe I'll put some plans in page 2...I don't want it to be crowded with pictures

Finally ;
Thank you very very very much for great help Mr./Mrs. Chalumeau...great website
chalumeau /  
Ok sounds goods Yamen.

Home / Graduate / "Living In the Oldest City In The World"-SOP Master in Architecture