Local Creativities - Industrial Dynamics and Sustainability - Motivation letter for Glocal Programme

loki898 1 / 3  
Following are the guidelines for the statement.

1. You should outline your motivation for choosing the GLOCAL programme (i.e. how it complements and develops your previous studies; how it relates to your career path; how it relates to your personal and academic interests).

2. Explain why you think you are a good candidate for the programme given your previous studies and the courses offered on the programme in both years.

India is a developing country that is still trying to come up in the world. The irony is that it has a large portion of the world's wealthiest people, yet it also has over 800 million people who are still destitute. One can say that the phrase "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer" is so apt here. The country has 22 official languages with diversified cultures, customs, and populations. Growing up in such a country gave me the opportunity to observe the world from a variety of views, which informed many of my life decisions and goals. It often made me think that what use is wealth and knowledge if you can't make a change in at least the society you are living in.

India's future relevance is critical since it is a vital link in the trade between Europe and Asia. India's third-largest trading partner is the European Union, which accounts for €62.8 billion in goods trade in 2020. After the United States, the EU is India's second-largest export destination (14 percent of total). In the last decade, goods traded between the EU and India have expanded by 72 percent. All of this data demonstrates India's market potential in Europe. The future of trade between Asian and European countries looks bright because of projects like China's silk railway networks which can be taken as a model by other Asian countries. India with its large population, low operational cost, vast trade network, business-friendly laws, and policies which make foreign direct investment more easy plays a crucial role in the integration process of Asia and Europe. While such attempts establish a "Global Value Chain," they pose social, economic, technological, and infrastructure issues for developing economies like India. In such a setting knowledge about companies in emerging sector, economic globalization and entrepreneurial dynamics are so relevant.

I am applying for the Global Markets, Local Creativities - Industrial Dynamics and Sustainability pathway after searching for a Master's degree which will help me move more closer towards my future goals. The comprehensive curriculum provides a holistic approach to dealing with contemporary difficulties in Economic Development, Sustainable Development, Entrepreneurship, and Innovation. This pathway's On-Site Research Training piqued my attention since it will assist me in better understand how developed countries lead and manage their industries with globalization.

In India about 2 million graduates and half a million post-graduates are unemployed. It is interesting to note that the level of unemployment increases with the level of education. One of the main reasons for this trend is because education is becoming a profession these days. Many students aren't even interested in the career path they take. The sole reasons for this are peer pressure from family and students undermining their skills. In India, there is a stereotype that there are only two successful career prospects for students and that is either to be an Engineer or a Doctor. To address this problem, India should develop policies and methods that encourage young people to pursue their dreams. My family has given me the freedom to follow my passion, and I want to show the society that one doesn't have to follow the conventional path to achieve success.

Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science were my undergraduate majors. I chose it because I am interested in the subjects, and I believe that having a deep understanding of these subjects would help me grasp a lot of technical challenges as it will be useful in my future plans. I also believe that it will be an added advantage in the technology-oriented future. But my goal was always to take my bachelors in science and then pursue my masters in a course that will help me build my career as a Social Entrepreneur.

During my undergraduate study, I was an active member of a society in my college known as The Planning Forum. The society focuses on engaging the student community with discussions, simulations, and conferences that pertain to strategy, policy, and governance. Diverse issues of topical interest, ranging from Politics to International Relations, are taken up for discussion and discourse. It also hosts the annual XYZ Model United Nations conference and is also heavily involved with several other fronts such as Social Entrepreneurship. I joined the society in my first year and got selected as an executive council member in my second year. Working in the society helped me in understanding how much important each policy decision is and the level of scrutinization it has to go through eventually lead to the formulation of a successful policy. One of my proudest achievements in the society is that for the XYZ United Nations conference 2021, I was able to get a partnership with an organization called CRY (Child Rights and You). The organization works for the upliftment of disadvantaged children all across India. Our team engaged with around 20-25 students from CRY from classes 9th-12th and gave them over a month-long training workshop for Model United Nation's and during the conference hosted them in a non-competitive committee with the aim to make all the students aware of Sustainable Development Goals.

My professional experience also includes an internship at Zuv Foundation, an NGO working towards the challenges faced by women and children in accessing education, employment, and medical care. I worked as a Communication and Fundraising intern there.

I wasn't looking for a traditional economic education; instead, I was looking for a curriculum that would help me grasp what's going on in today's worldwide economy, how industries succeeded in global competition, how to foster entrepreneurial dynamics in the region, and something with a more practical approach than typical methods of teaching, among other things. GLOCAL offers all I was looking forward to and more.

My dissertation will discuss on how will the creative and cultural industry improve if we promote them in developing countries. The discussion would also focus on the European framework of the creative industry and how successful was it in the upliftment of the industry over the years. The Creative Industry has a huge potential to grow in India and if we encourage the youth to follow their passion then I am sure that Indian creative industries can do wonders.

Upon completing my master's, I plan to be a Social Entrepreneur. I aim to start a packaging industry and a research centre with world class standards in Kerala. The main aim of the research centre will be to come up with new packaging solutions that are sustainable in the future and avoid the use of non-biodegradable materials in the industry and focus more on creating products from renewable resources. Kerala has been a hub of trade dating back to ancient times, Vasco Da Gama came to the port of Calicut in 1498 and thus started the trade of goods between Kerala and Europe. Kerala has the potential to become the next Global city given its highest literacy rate in the country and diverse demographics. My father's business collapsed after plastic carry bag was banned in Kerala. I believe if I plan my future plans looking at sustainability, industrial dynamics and government policies it will help me in taking my plans to a global level. I also want to start an incubation centre that will help my country's youth who lack initial support to follow their passion. I believe that the multidisciplinary knowledge and skills gained through the GLOCAL programme will help me achieve my dreams.

Given their global prominence and intellectual merit, the opportunity to study in a consortium of top European universities is a privilege in and of itself. I look forward to an opportunity to learn about European culture and history as I am always an admirer of the continent. As an Indian, I would promote a favourable image of my nation and serve as an ambassador among the select few Erasmus+ scholars.

I sincerely hope the admission committee finds my profile well suited for this life-changing opportunity.
The GLOCAL- EM scholarship applications for the September semester closed last January 8. Why are you writing your application at this time when there is no point in doing it? I will review this essay but don't apply any corrections yet because your circumstances might change by the time applications reopen and you may need to write a new or updated essay ffor relevance and information considerations.

The essay reads more like an analysis of India in the first half. The analysis takes too long to transform into a motivation as it relates to your background and field of interest. I failed to see a clear relation of your presentation with the subjects offered in both terms as well. I believe it is there, but got buried under all the information you presented. The post study career is not needed in this presentation. Review the writing requirements again and you should be able to tell which information you included but serve no relevance in the discussion.

These are just preliminary observations that can help you develop a new, more relevant presentation when the next application round comes.
OP loki898 1 / 3  
I plan to apply for the next intake of the Glocal program. Since I had some spare time, I thought I would start to develop an essay. Your review was to the point and I will edit and rearrange the essay. About the post-study career, isn't it better to explain my future goals as it gives a clear idea of why I chose the programme.

Home / Graduate / Local Creativities - Industrial Dynamics and Sustainability - Motivation letter for Glocal Programme