My long term goal is to become knowledgeable expert in Power engineering - research graduate essay

Path_FinDer 1 / 1  
I am keenly interested to apply for Master of Engineering MEng in Power Engineering to enhance my knowledge/Education, to serve society by developing sustainable/reliable Power Systems and to create more opportunities for myself in future. I wish to hone my skills particularly in Electrical Power Distribution & Utilization /Power System Analysis/Protection, Control and Optimization And Smart Grid Integration.

I earned an MSc (Electronics) from _____ University and currently pursuing with Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) from _____ University which is expected to be completed in December, 2014. I have more than 7 years of experience in one of the largest energy Power System sector of Pakistan. Reliable functioning of Power System/Load Flow and Fault analysis/EHT Switching/Protection are key responsibilities of my job. Three continuous "Exceed from Expectation employee award" from System Operation department are an evidence of my devotion, hard work and expertise in Power Engineering.

Subjects in undergrads such as Power System Analysis, Electrical Power Distribution and Utilization, Electrical Power System Protection, Electrical Power Transmission along with work experience laid the foundation for my interest toward Power Engineering. As a consequence, my final year project "Line Protection Scheme Designing for 132 KV Korangi West/Defence Circuit and Modeling of Numerical Distance Protection Relay (SIEMENS 7SA522) and relay Co-ordination" is related to my field of interest.

In addition to that, I have ambition of incorporating Wireless Communication and advanced methods to acquire Electrical data to analyze/monitor for optimization. Subjects such as Microprocessors, Electronic Communication, Digital Signal Processing and Analog/Digital/Power and Industrial Electronics and Robotics motivated me to design Control, protection and monitor schemes using intelligent networks. Furthermore, I acquire skills in C/C++, Assembly language (x86 architecture), PLC (S7200 and S7300), Microcontrollers, MATLAB (R2012b) etc and Simulations using Simulink, E-Tap, Auto CAD Electrical, DIALux, Multisim etc.

The Power Engineering department of ______ University is well known for its excellence in the power system field, with a reputed faculty and excellent modern research sources. I am fascinated by the research projects carried in the Centre for Power Systems such as ______.

Students from various countries, _____ University provides a good chance to learn from different cultures and their experiences. I enjoy working with others and to contribute to the task assigned. I am a hard working intellectual with ability to withstand pressure and possess well-developed interpersonal and consensus building skills that allow me to get along well with students and colleagues.

My long term goal is to become knowledgeable expert in Power engineering in particular Electrical Power Distribution & Utilization /Power System Analysis /Protection, Control and Optimization and Smart Grid Integration, to aid the development in this demanding area of work. As the crisis in Pakistan is due to deficient generation capability and poor transmission infrastructure. I am focused to develop optimization techniques to reduce Power Losses and I will be able to contribute to distribution of adequate Electrical Power.

I am confident and assure you that I will attain the high standards set by _____ University and will be able to contribute to the program by innovation, designing and research. My strong academic background and ample work experience makes me a right candidate for Master of Engineering MEng in Power Engineering. Therefore, I am aspiring to secure admission to pursue with adequate financial assistance (Education Expenses, Living Expenses in the form of Stipend/TA per month) in the program.

Looking forward to be considered.
Khalid, you need to provide us with the long term goal prompt for the essay that was given to you. Otherwise, we will not know the specific requirements that you are expected to answer. Right now, your essay is over informative and has fallen into the trap of TMI - Too Much Information. We will need to help you weed out the unnecessary portions of the essay based upon the expectations of the admissions officer who will be reading the essay based upon the prompt given. It does not help your essay that you have so many blank portions either. We need to know what we are referring to when we read the paragraph so that our advice can be geared towards the proper outcome and expectations.

What i can advice you is this, bring up your long term goals statement to the very beginning of the essay. That way you immediately answer the prompt and provide an overview of the content of the essay and create the image that you are fully committed to your goal, regardless of your academic and work background. You paper can be aligned and cleaned up more once we get an idea of what the prompt requires.
OP Path_FinDer 1 / 1  
Louisa, Thank you for your suggestions. I will rewrite my SoP by keeping your mention points in mind. I agree that it has become some blend of information. My aim was to focus first academics and then experience.

Home / Graduate / My long term goal is to become knowledgeable expert in Power engineering - research graduate essay