"in love with Economics" - applying for a Master's or diploma programme

Bisoulah 1 / 1  
Hi Everyone.
I would really, really appreciate critiques of my Personal Statement.
LSE is my dream school and I am beyond nervous!
Thanks in advance.

Question: If you are applying for a Master's or diploma programme this is your opportunity to introduce yourself to the selectors. Please describe your academic background, strengths/interests, ambitions/research interests.

I still remember the day I fell in love with Economics; it was, the first day of my last semester as a college freshman. The plan was just to fulfill a general studies requirement but I inadvertently stepped into the most intriguing class of my life that has come to mould my way of thinking and influence heavily the way I see and understand the world. The concepts taught in that Introductory Macroeconomics class made perfect sense to me; it explained logically the phenomena I was seeing in the world financial markets. I found it delightful that the field of Economics, which is by nature highly formal and analytical, could be used to explain and solve the distinctly organic and complex problems that face most societies. The theories and concepts presented seemed to be infallible in their logic and extremely thorough in their scope. For every topic, from deciding the best outcome when being pressed to confess to a burglary your accomplice is also being interrogated about in the next room to combating persistently high unemployment numbers, there was a formula. Studying Economics gave me a sense of my importance in the grand scheme of things and the effects of my seemingly trivial decisions on world markets in the long run.

After taking my first Economics class I promptly switched majors from Biology to Economics. My parents, siblings, everyone I know prescribed that I become a doctor, as they believed I possessed the aptitude and stamina for medical studies. In their opinion, to choose any other academic field would be to squander my talents and deprive the world of an excellent medical brain. Most believed that I would not be able to make a comfortable living from studying Economics, but I was determined to follow my dreams and study what I believed would be most challenging and satisfying to me in the short and long run. I went on to take courses in Game Theory, Public Economy, Econometrics, Development Economics and many other fascinating topics. One regret of my college career is that there were limited opportunities for pursuing a more thorough and rigorous learning of Econometrics. There was only one Econometrics class available, which I promptly took and subsequently ignited my passion for the subject.

I am interested in the application of econometric methods to assess economies in developing countries in order facilitate their sustainable development and drive profits in their native industries. It is this interest that spawned my collegiate thesis examining the effects of Chinese foreign direct investment on efficiency and productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa. With the skills I gain from the LSE EME program, I would like to further the study I began and broaden the scope to encompass other factors that might contribute to economic growth and better assess the benefits or pitfalls of this growth.

Upon graduation from the LSE, I plan to work for a multi-national financial institution such as Goldman Sachs, or Barclays Capital as a Quantitative Associate. I would like to conduct research on, and build econometric models for forecasting macro-economic indicators. My job would entail among other duties, forecasting company and world financial outlook. It is my intention to work for a few years to work internationally for five years in order to gain enough experience to start up my own consulting firm. My ultimate goal is to return to my home country of Nigeria and work as a consultant in economic affairs to the Nigerian government. I also plan to work in advisory roles to other developing nations, especially those in Sub-Saharan Africa to help improve their general standards of living. I intend to use the knowledge I gain from this program to forecast the economic future and find ways in which to make what we see better. I want to use these skills in order help world governments make informed decisions today that will lead to a better future. My life's ambition is to be instrumental to the spread of economic justice and equality in developing countries.

After extensive research, I have come to find that the LSE's program in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics is the best choice I can make for attaining my future goals and ambitions. The program has the requisite mathematical rigour coupled with an approach that is deeply rooted in economic theory, differing markedly from most other programs that take a more financial approach to their Mathematics programs. The Economics department provides a well-rounded academic curriculum with courses in Regression Diagnostics and Generalised Linear Modelling and Topics in Advanced Econometrics taught by a world-renowned faculty that creates an engaging and challenging environment that stimulates learning. In addition, the LSE hosts international students from various walks of life. As a citizen of an African country, I certainly appreciate a learning environment where I can interact with students from different backgrounds and cultures. With the rapid globalization of the business world, being able to interact on an international level is an important criterion of success in any field.

I am an excellent candidate for the EME course at LSE because I possess the passion, drive, and determination to succeed at all endeavors I choose to take on. As an African student studying in an alien educational system, I am very proud of all I achieved in my college career. I graduated cum laude despite my high level of extra-curricular involvement through my college years; I was a writer for The Daily Barometer, which is an independently run student newspaper, served as a representative for my department in the student body government, coordinated the university's community service center, and hosted a weekly radio show among other things. I received numerous awards recognizing my academic competence and abilities such as the Outstanding Senior Award and The Waldo-Cummings Award For Academic Excellence. Determination is what got my personal statement in front of you today, and I thank you for taking the time to consider my application.

Getting a Master's in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics degree from the London School of Economics will be a solid step in the right direction of attaining my personal and career goals. This degree will not only be a valuable step in my career, but also a decision LSE will be happy it took.
Wow, this is a great and impressive essay! Good strong ending too, it shows they'll be lucky to have you. I guess I think that first paragraph is too long. It is nice to end the first para sooner, so that the reader can get a sense of what the essay is all about.

I still remember the day I fell in love with Economics; it was, the first day of my last semester as a college freshman.

The concepts taught in that Introductory Macroeconomics class made perfect sense to me; they explained logically the...

My parents, siblings, everyone I know suggested that I become a doctor, as they believed I possessed the aptitude and stamina for medical studies.

This needs to be fixed----> It is my intention to work for a few years to work internationally for five years in order to gain enough experience to start up my own consulting firm.
OP Bisoulah 1 / 1  
Thanks Susan! I'll fix the problems you suggested and post below.

Home / Graduate / "in love with Economics" - applying for a Master's or diploma programme