What are you made for and how will an AGSM degree help you achieve it?

vincenm 11 / 26  
I believe I am made for the role of SVP of Product in a major hi-tech company, where I can establish the company's strategy and direction for the product portfolio. This requires the knowledge of how business is managed in cross-functional teams in a collaborative environment. Right after MBA, I aspire to work as a consultant for a top firm such as Accenture post the MBA. I hope to leverage the professional experience I have in IT with the knowledge gained through MBA to work with hi-tech and IT industry clients in emerging markets , providing solutions for business problems, such as risks of acquisition or low market share. My career as a consultant, solving issues faced across different functions in the industry, will help me transition into the role of SVP smoothly.

To attain my goals, I need to understand various aspects of a business management, including finance, strategy and marketing, and develop skills, such as organization skill, analytical, listening and networking skills, as consulting firms hire consultants who have an all-encompassing knowledge in all these areas.

AGSM's strong emphasis on core courses will develop my foundation on functions such as finance, operations and Strategy. Since I never learned marketing before, the 'Marketing Strategy' will help me allow me to scrutinize the marketing issues and suggest new changes to marketing framework. Besides the 'Quantitative Business Modelling for Managers' can teach me how to make visual representations of problems and provide solutions based on the data. 'The Strategic Consulting Project' will provide the hands-on experience by helping me adapt the theories learned to different scenarios I will encounter as a consultant. Therefore I need an MBA from AGSM as it accommodates my aspirations by gaining the knowledge required in a collaborative culture that is conducive for learning.

Please give a critique on this.
- To attain my goals, I need to understand various aspects of a business management, including finance, strategy and marketing, and develop skills, such as organizationorganizational skill, analytical, listening and networking skills,...

- Besides the 'Quantitative Business ModellingModeling for Managers' can teach me how to make...

Vince, your essay is good. However, your essay is only talking about yourself, your aspirations, goals and everything about you. Now, how about injecting facts about the industry you are in, the facts and figures that can help in attaining your goals.

Also, I would suggest that you give facts about the institution, the strength and advantages once you receive that degree.
As the question asks, how will you associate your strength in achieving your goals.

Nevertheless, your essay is good and I made a couple of corrections as you can see above, I hope it helps.

- proof read

- spell check

This are two things that are very essential when writing.

Keep writing

Cheers!!!
Marivanno 5 / 3 2  
MONASH MBA statement of Purpose Essay

A one-page statement of purpose outlining your reasons for applying to the Monash MBA, and what you think you can contribute to the program. In addition, your statement of purpose should include whether you will be sponsored by your employer.

Please check if my essay sticks to the required info as per the essay prompt. Please give a critique.

My passion for products that paved way for the Internet era and interest to know how a market grows around such products, have motivated me to seek out a business position in the tech industry. I believe I am made for the role of SVP of Product in a major hi-tech company, where I can establish the company's strategy and direction for the product portfolio. As the SVP of Product, I will need to work and empathize with different cross-functional teams, which include operations, sales, and finance, and engage them appropriately in the decision-making. To do this, I require the knowledge of how business is managed across functions of a company. Right after MBA, I aspire to work as a consultant for a top firm such as Accenture. I hope to leverage the professional experience I have in IT with the knowledge gained through MBA to work with hi-tech and IT industry clients, providing solutions for business problems, such as risks of acquisition or low market share. My career as a consultant, solving issues faced across different functions in the industry, will thus help me transition into the role of SVP smoothly.

But my profile has gaps that cannot be filled by continuing to work in technical roles in my current career trajectory. To attain my short-term goal I need to learn various aspects of business management, including operations, finance and marketing, and further strengthen skills, such as organizational capability, analytical knowledge and networking skill, as the consulting industry requires business graduates who have an all-encompassing knowledge in these areas. Thus, excelling in business is the reason why I have chosen Monash.

MONASH's strong emphasis on core courses will develop my foundation on different functions, including finance and strategy. Since I never learned marketing before, the 'Strategic marketing management' will allow me to scrutinize the marketing issues and suggest new changes to the marketing framework, bringing in profitability to the product. Going through 'Investigation of Emerging Sustainable Business Models' paper by Dr. Wendy Stubbs got me interested in having discussions with her about the B Corp Hybrid model, teaching me how to provide profitable solutions as consultant to my clients that would also have positive social and environmental impact. 'The experiential learning Project' will allow me to analyze a company's problem and advise strategic solutions for it, providing the hands-on experience I require by helping me adapt the theories learned to different scenarios I will encounter as a consultant. The MBA speaker program, which is a unique feature of Monash, will help me learn from corporate leaders and industry experts, and see business through the eyes of an executive, thus helping me transform from a student into a business professional. The FMAA, ITM and MMSS clubs will allow me to network with professionals, learn trends, and understand best practices of industry. Therefore I need an MBA from MONASH as it accommodates my aspirations by providing a collaborative culture that is conducive for learning.

Studying for an MBA in this globalized world requires not only immense knowledge but also diversity in experience and thought. In this case, I am fortunate enough to have a background that is personally, academically and professionally diverse. Having grown up for 17 years in culturally and racially heterogeneous Qatar I interacted with people from four corners of the world, including Arabs, Somalians, Americans, Scandinavians and Filipinos. Such interactions taught me to value a person's character and intellect, and to appreciate the diverse opinions various people brings to the table. Thus my diverse experience, such as handling clients and HP teams across five continents and my upbringing among diverse groups of people in the Middle East, will help me give a unique perspective in the classroom on various topics that are more global in nature.

My expertise in providing solutions to problems faced by customers in the supply chain network spread across more than 15 countries will allow me to contribute to various team projects at MONASH. With my earlier successes in changing the business processes and in doing quality analysis of the new team based in Bangalore, I can provide valuable insights to those students, who come from non-IT professional background.

When I studied in college I was always involved in various clubs, extra-curricular activities and events, and I plan on doing the same once I join MONASH. I will have the opportunity to start a public speaking and debating club, helping myself and my peers to learn from each other's knowledge while debating on various topics. I want to share with the club the experience I had co-creating and managing the Model UN event in my college and, if possible, would like to start a similar inter-collegiate event at MONASH. By joining the Vision Generation and Rotoract club at MONASH I can help Monash community to give back to the society, like how I have been doing in India. Finally as an alumnus I would provide advice and business leads to the MONASH graduates, helping the community flourish in the corporate world.

As I won't be sponsored by my employer, I would like Monash to consider me for scholarships that are provided to the students. In conclusion, I'm interested in learning and developing business skills by utilizing the holistic approach to education at Monash. My willingness to learn from and contribute to the Monash community, will allow me to become a well-rounded MBA graduate and achieve my career goals.

Home / Graduate / What are you made for and how will an AGSM degree help you achieve it?