Master of Science, Petroleum Engineering Essay Admision: Oil & Gas, my hobby and my job.

josue 1 / -  
This is what the University exactly requires in a student essay:
Essay Topic: Describe your reasons for pursuing graduate study and your academic and professional interests and goals.

I believe my essay needs a lot of enhancements, too many I would say. Please opinions are very welcome, even about the title and the first paragrahp, I have read that this tow(title and first paragrahp) are very important, those will capt the atention od the readers if they are well performed.

Personal Essay:
Since I was a kid , the investigation was part of my personality, no matter what I was doing or where I was, I always was investigating about certain topics looking forward to get responses, for example why ants work together or which was the distance between the sun and the earth. The sensation I have when I am researching is similar to when I am eating a Chicken & Bacon with mustard Subway sandwich. Research has always been part of my routine.

When I was/ Being in school, certain day some of my classmates were discussing about what to become in the future after school, I did not know what so say or what to choose even hearing the many options they were expressing. Some day the teacher of Earth Science assigned an investigation associated to hydrocarbons, when I finished it I had an idea about my choice: To become a Petroleum Engineer. Time past and I was still very young I was a child. In an occasion watching TV with my dad, in a commercial pause an advertising was showing several men moving and arguing ideas on an never seen(at least for me in that moment) unusual huge an amazing structure on the sea, while on the screen a message was displaying saying: ¨Chevron, the energy that mobilize the world¨, I was impressively amazed and I asked dad: ¨who are they, what they do?¨, he replied: ¨they get the oil and they distribute it to the world¨, that was the straw that broke the camel's back and I said to myself: ¨this is it, Petroleum Engineering is going to be, I want to be in there¨.

After I reached the University my desire regarding learning everything related the oil & gas industry was getting higher, even though there were limitations during field visits, laboratory practices, seminars, and in projects elaboration, I took all advantage I could. All these activities were part of this wonderful stage of my career path.

The idea of doing internships was even more interesting than going throw all the university steps to become a professional. Schlumberger hired me as an intern and one of my first experiences was being on a barge in the center of Maracaibo Lake to perform a perforating job, at that moment I was living my dream: ¨standing on a platform getting the oil¨. This event drove me straight away to episode where I was watching TV with my dad, and what I did? I called him so happy and talked to him about it. It was the very beginning of the most amazing experience in the petroleum industry, I did so many things and I went to a lot of wells learning everything as possible including subjects related to other different aspects of the segment I was developing to.

Once I finished internships I finally became a Petroleum Engineer, rapidly I started working with Schlumberger, the best worldwide provider of petroleum services. ¨Getting the oil¨ was my job, I didn't have to imagine it again on a commercial, I was living it. I started to perform and lead Drill Stem Test and Tubing Conveyed Perforating jobs, designed plans and projects and detailed programs of work, elaborated methods and models for operations, selected best procedures based on the thorough calculation and study and taking reservoir parameters and characteristics of the well itself, announced lessons learned and proposed best practices, and assembled and dissembled hydraulic and mechanics tools testing them also.

Part of my job consisted to agree with the Reservoir Engineer of the Operative Company requesting my services the exact location of the completion string to perforate the target zone, because of that in free time I was always researching about open/cased hole logs and reservoir parameters, and even interpreting different examples of these logs getting opinions and points of view of Wireline Engineers to have a better understanding and be able to accurately select the right position to locate the string before perforation. A very important and high level operation arose, the local client which is PDVSA requested our services to execute a completed test on live well (flowing well) with equipment in down hole and in surface, setting all equipment ready to perforate and flow the well, the GR/CCL log had to be interpreted to positionate the string, due to large amount of critical information showed(too many high and low picks without cohesion and repetitive) it was even(change) difficult for the Reservoir Engineers of PDVSA(the ones in charge of the log interpretation to declare the right position) to match correctly the cased hole log with the open hole log to determine the exact(change) point, in this way they asked for my suggestion and after analyzing the logs comparison pulling together all information, investigation and knowledge I acquired previously due(change) to my continuously limited research in the subject, I pointed that the correct depth was 13454.25' while the preferred for the PDVSA Engineers was 13558.4'(measured depth first shoot, 13568.4'), then they acceded to my calculation and interpretation, the well was shot at that depth and the rate flow was much more that the one expected for PDVSA.

I want to expand my knowledge and participate in a research that can deliver the petroleum industry enhances in any process, procedure, or subject and put them in service of it in order to exploit hydrocarbons in a better way.

The investigation and research I always liked, is aimed to what I love to do.

Notes:
1.-There is another paragraph where I expound an improvement design idea directed to an specific department research program and the professor in charge, for obvious reasons it is excluded.

2.-As you can see, I have no awards gained since the university i graduated from is not a high level institution, no research programs are boasted nor scholarships offered.

3.-Most of the ¨good qualifications and remarkables skills¨ I may have, were exposed in paragraphs related to work experience.
4.- A friend already reviewed and gave some hints and opinions, these modifications are not included, I wanna see what other perspectives you may appoint.

5.-If you think Ihave to delete a text or add aditional information, please rise your writing.
6.-The first statement: ¨Since a was a kid¨, sounds threshed, what you think?.
PD: Please dont hide anything, be rude crude and with no compassion at the time of critics.
Regards, and Thanks.
alif 12 / 13 2  
hi @josue
let me give suggestion for your essay

Since I was a kidchange with "when I was child" , the investigation was a part of my personality, no matter what I was doing or where I wasmake good sentence , I always was investigating about certain topics looking forward to get responsesyou have to use verb infinitive , for example why ants work together or which was the distance between the sun and the earth. The sensation I have when I am researching is similar to when I am eating a Chicken & Bacon with mustard Subway sandwich. Research has always been part of my routine. in my opinion, you should consist in using subject verb agreement

thank you, good luck !
Trias 23 / 41 14  
Hi Josue,

1. Your essay should be narrowed from a common idea down to a specific one. Then supported by main ideas in each body paragraphs, which are explained about various means of support in each paragraph (reasons, examples, detail data, and effect). Followed by a concluding paragraph.

2. I strongly agree with you, your essay opening really should be strong and capture the reader's interest. Here's my suggestion:
Describe how is the sensation of eating a Chicken & Bacon with mustard Subway sandwich for you. How mouthwatering this food has always been to you. Then compare it with your passion for investigation and practical research, considering your main ideas in the body paragraphs relate to your practice in university and at work.

3. You can 'sell' your working experience by mentioning what qualities were needed to be accepted there, your achievement and at work, or how others treat you there. If you are uncertain whether your essay examiner familiar with petroleum terms and calculation or not, you should explain more about what your job assignments are, what are the calculations for.

Good luck!

Home / Graduate / Master of Science, Petroleum Engineering Essay Admision: Oil & Gas, my hobby and my job.