Masters of Advertising - I want turn my passion about advertising into a career, not a just a job

ams17 1 / 1  
Hi All,

I am posting my essays to get some reviews and direction. Topic A is "why you want to go to graduate school" and Topic B is "career objectives".

Thanks
----
A. why you want to go to graduate school

My interest in media began in elementary school when I hosted a local Saturday morning kids news show. From my first day in the studio, I wanted to learn everything about television. As I became older my wonderment grew beyond television to advertising. I always raised question, "Why?" when viewing ads on television, magazines, billboards and radio. Questioning the meaning and placement of ads became a hobby of mine, which my family grew to hate. In high school I enrolled my first mass media class, which allowed me explore the basic of broadcast production. By the end high school I was sure wanted a career in television.

As an undergraduate my interest turned from production to learning how to support different mediums through advertising. At _______ I was able to explore the different mediums and my curiosity grew in relation to advertising and new media platforms. When I graduated in May of 2008, I felt accomplished but needed to continue to learn more about advertising to fully develop my goals.

By a entering the Advertising Professional Master's program I will gain the skills to lead me to a rewarding career. I have set personal goals that I want to obtain while in graduate school. The first is to build my research skills. Throughout my undergrad coursework and work experience one thing that has resonated with me is the effectiveness proper research and planning needed in a campaign. My second goal is to develop into grow into more conceptual thinker which will improve my creative insight when developing advertising. The third goal is to strengthen my writing skills so I can be effective. My final goal to learn how to internet effectively as an advertising tool. The internet is a medium that potential to target different unique consumers with different lifestyles. Moreover, mixing a traditional campaign with and non traditional elements can be a create different approach to advertising needs.

Furthermore I want turn my passion about advertising into a career, not a just a job. By having a entering the Advertising Professional Master's program I will gain the skills that will lead to accomplish this.

b. Career objectives.
In January 2008, I interned at NAPTE where I heard an inspiring speech Shelly Lazarus Chairman of Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide. The speech gave me solidarity into fully following dreams of an advertising career through converging different mediums to improve brand development. Mrs. Lazarus spoke about how reaching consumers has is getting hard because of the divulge of advertising, in which advertising has to get more creative to reach the proper audience. As a listen to her words my dreams suddenly became plausible and from then on I had new confidence achieving career objectives.

My short-term career objective is to work an advertising agency and become a media planner. I want to work in the reach and development of advertising campaigns. My background has supplied my with unique experiences in event planning, production, and public relations, advertising. I want to combine those experiences with education and develop strategic advertising campaigns across all platforms. Eventually I want to focus my skills into a position as a multicultural media director.

My long term career objective is gain enough insight about the industry and open up my own advertising firm in Alabama. I believe that every company deserves quality advertising even if the company is not in a big city.
You seem to be on the right track. You may want to talk a bit more about how you hope the particular university you are applying to will help you achieve your goals. Also, the grammar could use some tweaking, as in the examples below:

"My second goal is to develop into grow into more conceptual thinker"

"Moreover, mixing a traditional campaign with and non- traditional elements can be a creativecreate different approach to advertising needs"

"I will gain the skills I need that will lead to accomplish this"

"Mrs. Lazarus spoke about how reaching consumers has is getting hard because of the deluge of advertising"
learning how to support various mediums...

Hey, this is a good anecdote about how Lazarus affected your confidence! USe commas for rhythm, and keep verb tense consistent, rock solid:

As a listened to her words, my dreams suddenly became plausible, and from then on I had new confidence achieving career objectives.

You write well, so you'll be good at advertising! With any luck, you'll also be able to put those skills to good use, perhaps advertising an organization that can improve the world (i.e. rather than just selling stuff and building brands). I'm impressed with your focus, and I bet the admissions person will be, too.
OP ams17 1 / 1  
Thank you so much!
logitech 3 / 9  
I am not sure whether you can have more words in your essay but

My long term career objective is gain enough [...] even if the company is not in a big city.

This is a very general statement. When are you planning to do this ? What will make you different ? Give something to readers more defined.

Home / Graduate / Masters of Advertising - I want turn my passion about advertising into a career, not a just a job