Do material possessions make us truly happy? ; CLEP

Rucha 2 / -  
Essay topic :

Think carefully about the issue presented in the following excerpt and the assignment below.

We are often reminded that acquiring and owning material possessions-money, property, jewelry, even clothing-will not lead to true happiness. While it is certainly true that material possessions alone cannot bring happiness or provide us with genuine meaning in life, there is something to be said for having material possessions. Not only can they make us comfortable, but the happiness they can provide, while it may be momentary, is still happiness.

Assignment: Do material possessions make us truly happy? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations.

It is a very true and well known saying that, "Money cannot buy Happiness." In this modern world era material possession including money, wealth, jewelry, housing which is more a part of necessity for daily living rather than happiness.

Possessing an expensive car, branded watch or wearing high brand outfits trends out the status of an individual. In order to buy these leisure's a person is striving day and night for better salary , better jobs which can afford highly expensive possession of material wealth masking under the name of "good quality of life." Nature's law of wanting more and more has led to different meaning of happiness which people are looking from these expensive gadgets.

But, is it really worth it? In order to achieve this wealth and comfort, people are losing values of life, family and happiness. For example: A person working abroad in another country with main reason of earning more money by higher salary and providing better life for their kids and family is missing real meaning of life with family. He cannot experience the small joys, happiness, and special moments with family like baby taking first steps or speaking first word, babies first hair cut, etc which are far more expensive and invaluable than those gadgets.

Materialistic wealth is the main reason why famous celebrities and stars cannot maintain relationships and is unable to connect or bond with their family members. I would also say that apart from happiness, this kind of wealth has always been leading to main reason of mankind's selfish nature and competition among themselves resulting into crimes like stabbing, murders, kidnapping, etc.

So it is better to ask ourselves, wither it is worth trading sound sleep and happiness of one and only one precious life for these momentary status possessions or not.

Any feed backs appreciated. English is not my primary language .
Silentium 1 / 6 1  
This topic I had on SAT.
You choose nice example. But if it's SAT question you need to make it 5-paragraph essay.
So you have example about working abroad. You prove it. You make example about stars, but where is there prove?
Conclusion - is reverse of your intro. So you need rewrite it in different words.
And also you provide 3 sentences in intro. So each body paragraph should open this sentence or be connected.
And (!) you need to add controversial topic sentence.
I always wrote SAT in this structure
Introduction Paragraph:
[Topic Sentence #1]
[Topic Sentence #2]
[Topic Sentence #3 - controversial ]
[Thesis Sentence]
Body Paragraphs:
[Topic sentence 1, 2, or 3 (restated from the version in the intro paragraph)]
(so what?)
(prove it)
[summarize the paragraph, lead into the next one]
Conclusion
[Thesis - restated]
[Topic Sentence #1 - restated]
[Topic Sentence #2 - restated]
[Contrapositive Topic Sentence #3 - restated]
["Ta-Da!" Sentence] - this is like your opinion. One small sentence =)
Hope this helps
It is a very true and well known saying that, "Money cannot buy Happiness."

... Good hook

In this modern world era material possession including money

Though you say you are not a native speaker of English, I see you have very good writing skills. However, it is good had you concluded your introduction with your opinion.

Home / Graduate / Do material possessions make us truly happy? ; CLEP