Mathematics and the sciences vs programming and computer hardware - SOP for Mechanical Engineering

Tima 1 / 2  
Hello all,

Below is a first draft of my Statement of Purpose for admission into the MSME program. I would appreciate any feedback you may have. It is practically finished, only ending paragraph is yet to be completed.

Thanks

Having now graduated with a combined degree in Engineering and Science from the University of ABC (UABC), I have reached a stage in my life where I wish to pursue further education.

Throughout my high school years I always had a technical mind and a profound interest in mathematics and the sciences, rivalled only by my passion for programming and computer hardware. For this reason, I sought admission into the Bachelor of Engineering/Bachelor of Science combined degree program at UABC and majored in Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science.

As my undergraduate career progressed, I gained exposure to a variety of aspects of engineering however was particularly fascinated with the subject of Automation and Control Systems. My interests in this area were magnified after I completed the Microprocessors and Interfacing course during my third year of university. Through this course I was able to gain a greater understanding of open and closed loop control systems and gain first-hand experience in programming integrated circuits and microprocessors at the assembly level. My knowledge in this field was later fortified by courses in Linear Systems and Control and Flight Mechanics and Dynamics where I was able to understand the basics of classical and modern control theory. Furthermore, to follow my interests in Automation, I took a course in Artificial Intelligence. This course greatly increased my interests in robotics by allowing me to gain an insight into the various types of intelligent systems and the machine learning techniques they employ to function autonomously.

In addition to my academic interests, I also have a passion for the defence industry. The large scale of projects undertaken by defence companies and the prospect of being involved in the design and manufacture of state-of-the-art defence technologies is something that strongly appeals to me.

During my final year at university I strived to gain relevant work experience and was fortunate enough to gain an internship with Raytheon, one of Australia's largest defence companies. Whilst at Raytheon, I was part of the Hardware Engineering team, working on the Navigation System Rack (NSR) project. The NSR is a custom designed cabinet which contains navigation and guidance equipment and is to be used by the Royal Australian Navy aboard its new Hobart Class Destroyers. My most prominent achievement during my internship was completing the NSR prototype engineering drawing pack for the Detail Design Review stage of product development. Working on this project gave me the opportunity to be involved in a multitude of areas including mechanical design, manufacturing, Finite Element Analysis and simulation, and allowed me to experience the scope of duties a mechanical engineer would have in a defence project.

Complementing my above mentioned expertise, I have also gained excellent communication and team working skills through involving myself in extracurricular activities. Whilst at university I was part of the UABC Redback Formula SAE Racing team. Being involved in this team gave me a chance to take part in the physical construction of the racing vehicle and see the practical applications of my studies. Whilst studying I was also employed part-time in customer service and technical roles. These activities have improved my ability to work unsupervised and under pressure, and in combination with my theoretical knowledge, will assist me in my pursuit of post graduate education.

I wish to seek admission into the Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering program because I do not feel entirely satisfied with the skills base that I have acquired through my undergraduate studies. Additionally, I believe the MSME program will allow me to gain a more complete understanding of my aforementioned topics of interest, and, pave the way to a successful career in the defence industry in the future.

My intention to study in USA stems from my desire to experience education in a different part of the world. I believe that USA is a leader in many areas of technology and would be an exceptional place to study engineering. Specifically, I am interested in the University of XYZ not only because of its facilities and association with the WP Air Force Base Research Laboratory, but also because it comes highly recommended from my aunt who is a UXYZ Alumni and currently resides in the nearby Fakeville area. Moreover, I believe studying in a foreign country can be challenging and the moral support provided by family will play an important role in making the transition from Australia to USA a more comfortable one.
hfj 1 / 3  
hmmm...friend u better highlight some great research work of 1-2 professors of ur concerned deptt of ur desired university..it will show deep study regarding ur future educational institute and ur keen interest in research regarding ur field of interest..

btw r u going to apply for a scholarship, or self funded course?

Home / Graduate / Mathematics and the sciences vs programming and computer hardware - SOP for Mechanical Engineering