MBA Essay Operations in Agriculture

kunal3333 2 / 3  
Armed with Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering, I began my professional journey as a RF Engineer in XYZ LTD. Since three years I have been responsible to manage the operations and plan the network for managed services wimax project as a Sr. Delivery Engineer. Although, farming has been my family business but most of my family members have migrated to different professions because of rising inflation and plunging profit margins in agriculture, but I think with professional approach and proper management, agriculture still can be the most profitable sector in India.

We own five hundred acres of agricultural land and a cotton processing unit in the cotton belt of India, on an average we grow thirteen quintal cotton per acre per annum; we store the cotton in warehouse and sell it in installments to the local traders, at an average rate of $90 per quintal whereas, same cotton after processing is sold at 1000% rise in international market. There is a pyramidal hierarchy of traders, starting from local to international traders.

Starting our own cotton trading firm, will allow me to interact with national and international market and will enable me to analyze and forecast the market demand, on which the scheduling and volume of cultivation will directly depend upon. The cotton from the farms will go to our own processing mill and then will be transported to respective national and international markets. The transportation and warehousing are the variables depending upon the volume of the crop.

I will able to utilize my current experience of process planning, handling supply chain, customer and vendor negotiations and team management. My ability to analyze and to lead from front will be essential to initiate the process.

The uniqueness about this trade will be reduction in gap between end consumer and farmer. The average international price for per quintal cotton is $900 and we get only 10% of the total selling price, the total average cost of mill processing, national and international transportation and warehousing charges result 65% of the per quintal selling price, dealing in large volumes will further reduce the charges on per quintal and increase profit margin. Our existing family network with the farmers and International traders from Israel will help me to expand the operations and indulge other local farmers and more variety of crops in the trade.

However, lack of finance and account management skills and knowledge of risk management will be potential hurdles. I need to learn about resource planning and factors of failures. My initial target will be to gain an Entrepreneurial experience and hone my managerial skill set. Being part of International MBA program will provide me an opportunity to develop a good international network with professionals from diverse background. I believe that, in the extremely competitive and dynamic environment it is important to learn to sustain the business for long period and an MBA program at XYZ will provide the right platform to gain necessary knowledgebase.
...have been responsible for managing the operations and planning the network for managed services wimax project as a Sr. Delivery Engineer. ---wimax... should this be capitalized?

Do not use although and also but. Just use one of them:
Although Farming has been my family business, but most of my family members have migrated to different professions because of rising inflation and plunging profit margins in agriculture. but I think agriculture, with a professional approach and proper management, still can be the most profitable sector in India.---You have an inspirational idea. I fixed this sentence so that it will sound nice...

I will be able to utilize my current...

I believe that, in In the extremely competitive ...

:-) Good luck, friend!
OP kunal3333 2 / 3  
Thanks for your input kevin will surely imply to do the best!

Home / Graduate / MBA Essay Operations in Agriculture