most meaning leadership experience and how will MBA help you?

ank2jpr 4 / 8  
Dear All,

Could you please give me your comments on the below ? Thank you..

I can still hear the applause; I can still smell the raw excitement that moment offered. Selected from over ten thousand employees, I represented my company at the prestigious National Competition for Young Managers as the team leader. The intriguing theme of the event- "Managing Organizational and Management Challenges", in addition to a strict timeline, posed an invigorating challenge for a professional with mere ten months of experience.

Making my first contact with the team, I set up a series of brainstorming sessions to define the scope of the topic and divide the tasks. However, despite a flurry of activities, one month went by with no substantial results. The team was unsuccessful in fully comprehending the requirements of the competition and the theme. This led me to rethink my activities as a team leader. After careful analysis, I noticed that not only did the team failed to relate to the task but also lacked trust in each other's capabilities.

Having identified the problem, I organized regular team meetings and instigated healthy debates on the topic. Moreover, I encouraged social mingling to develop mutual trust within the team. Such interactions helped me to build a cohesive team focused on a common goal and identify individual skills. I, then, carefully allotted the responsibilities- factoring the strengths and weaknesses of each member. By facilitating open and clear communication, I led my team to present a comprehensive view of the managerial challenges faced Indian by organizations- emerging the youngest team leader in the north zone.

This experience was meaningful not only because it provided me a platform to exhibit my leadership capabilities but also because it helped me to identify my weaknesses.

Even though I was good at motivating my team, I realized that better directive abilities would have led me to drive the follow through and results more efficiently. With BSM program and group projects, I hope to hone my directive qualities, which would be important not only for my short term consulting goals but also for my entrepreneurial dreams. Furthermore, I noted that a lack of coherent understanding of business fundamentals restricted my vision. Moreover, for a successful consultant career, I would not only need to be a good forecaster but also keep an eye out for trends across multiple fronts. The focused core curriculum would help me to strengthen my understanding of business basics and the functional courses would widen my horizons, leading me to improve my intuitive skills and vision- a pre-requisite in consulting world. This orientation would also help me to pick the right market and target customers while launching my strategy consulting firm in the future.

I am sure that MBA will challenge my assumptions, stretch my thinking and push me out of my comfort zone, while testing my managerial skills in a stimulating global environment but at the same time make this learning experience fun along the way.
After careful analysis, I noticed that not only had the team failed to relate to the task, but also lacked trust in each others capabilities.

Such interactions helped me to build a cohesive team focused on a common goal and to identify individual skills.

I, then, ---Neither of these commas belong here---carefully allotted the responsibilities- factoring...

This experience was meaningful not only because it provided me a platform to exhibit my leadership capabilities, but also because it helped me to identify my weaknesses.

Good luck in school and have fun!

:)
OP ank2jpr 4 / 8  
Hi,

Thank you for your analysis.

Could you please also tell me whether the essay is strong enough for the question asked? Moreover, i am concerned about the impression it leaves on a first time reader about my leadership skills. any comments are welcome.

Thank you
I think it's definitely strong enough, and just the fact that you were chosen out of all those people proves it. The fact that you were the youngest, says a lot about your drive and determination, and also how serious you are, and have been, about your studies and your life. Your last sentence is great, and very important too, because it shows that you realize you still have things to learn and are willing to change your way of thinking about some things. This tells me that as a leader, you'll be compassionate and thoughtful. Good qualities!

Home / Graduate / most meaning leadership experience and how will MBA help you?