Media Industry - Essay for scholarship of Bournemouth University

levanchi196 1 / 1  

theories and practices of western media and communication industry

Dear Madam or Sir,
I hope for a chance to do post-graduate study at Bournemouth University in England because the UK has been recognized as a knowledge center with rich study traditions and an study environment that friendly with international student. My ultimate goal is to learn about how the media industry work and how every component interact with each other: the government, mass media, brands and audiences, especially in this flat world we're living.

Being in the media and communication industry wasn't my first career choice. Ever since I was a child, I was always curious about the world around me and I like to talk and interact with people. That's why I choose to study at Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam. I was hungry to know more about the world, how each continent, each country differentiate in every aspects: social, cultural, economic, etc, and how people around the world can be unanimously agreed despite differences.

At the academy, my score was not as impressive as other students and I just started to study with maximum enthusiasm when I realized I was attracted to international communication, especially mass communication. That's the reason why I choose International communication to be my elective course at academy. I was so drawn in getting to know how communication can help people understand each other, how we can persuade a country to sign a trade agreement or may be a customer to buy our product. My final assignment in mass communication and social development under this subject was mark 4/4, one of the highest grades among my peers. For the last two semesters, I was awarded the Academy scholarship for high academic merit. This encouraged me to join in the media and communication industry.

Media and communication industry is blooming in Vietnam since the appearance of internet. I took advantage of this a lot. I had done many internships at different companies and organizations, most of which are in marketing or communication department. My job as a communication interns is quite similar in these organizations. My main tasks were to prepare the materials for press conferences or website articles including both content-producing and administrative works. Although not as important as coming up with communication strategy, these tasks gave me the chance to get to know real communication works and solid my basic knowledge on media and communication.

After graduated, I decided to apply to be a journalist because I want to see another aspect of media and communication. I applied for a reporter position at VTC television station, a news agency and one of the two biggest television stations in Vietnam and was recruited at the first attempt. Here, I worked as reporter specialized in Medical and healthcare, observing Ministry of Health and was quite productive. Vietnam has a government controlled media and the press industry has a strict environment, but I can understand that. Since the government is facing a rapid growth and state management is only in early ages, it needs a unified media to make its voice clear.

At VTC1, the most important channel of VTC television station, I have done much reportage on urgent and controversial topics in medical and Healthcare, some of which are the increasing payments of cancer patients in Vietnam, or talk with WHO representative in Vietnam about the outbreak of measles in the world and Vietnam. I also have the chance to join in the format-building and daily-running of 22+, a talkshow on controversial topics among public.

This working experience has turned me from a shy girl into an open-minded reporter. I would even get nervous before making a telephone interview during the first months after I left campus, but now I will be the first among a group of journalists to raise my hand to ask questions during a press conference. I even get to awarded with the prize for Competitive employee by my company. At the same time, however, I became increasingly aware of my inadequacies. My major at university wasn't enough for me to pursuit my career in the industry. I need to further raise my English language level. I need to develop solid knowledge in both media and communication in general and in specific sectors, such as finance or public affairs, so that I can become a real professional on my beat. That is why I decided to go back to school.

If I have a chance to enroll in your university, I will focus my study and research on the theories and practices of western media and communication industry. What should be the nature of communication? How can different component in the industry interact and make change in people's views, bias or cognitive? These are questions to which I will try to find answers.

I will also concentrate on the flourishing digital media, the Internet. The open, free and fast-refreshing Internet has become an unprecedented challenge to Vietnam's traditional media, although it's still in a fledgling stage, uncertain of its future. The Internet is obviously becoming one of the most-used means of communication for the Vietnamese, and who can make use of it is the winner, I sincerely hope your university can provide me with the chance to study. Your sophisticated education and my own efforts will help me to enhance my knowledge and go further in my career path.

Thank you in advance for considering my application,
Sincerely yours,
Le Van Chi
Maria - / 1,098 389  
I would change the introduction into something that will be able to truly hook the evaluators. Perhaps you can start the essay with an anecdote of your personal experience that has made you drawn to this career; afterwards, you may proceed to clarifying the intention of the letter and your purpose. You can also opt for a quotation that someone may have mentioned to you for your application.

In terms of substantiation and content, your essay is spot-on already. I can observe that it is able to provide your comprehensive background as to why you are taking this - and including why you have chosen this path for the long-run. What I would wish that you include is a discussion on why you have chosen this uniersity. You touched merely the surface level of this in the beginning of your essay. However, if you can provide a more in-depth rationale that can showcase your genuine interest in the field, that would be beneficial for your application.

Best of luck.
OP levanchi196 1 / 1  
Thank you for your comment! Can you explain or give an example of

a more in-depth rationale

?

Home / Graduate / Media Industry - Essay for scholarship of Bournemouth University