MFA Graphic Design/Visual Communications; Personal Statement

mysticmaria 1 / -  
Hi,

I am applying to several MFA programs in Graphic Design/Visual Communications. I have a standard statement that I intend to tailor to each individual school. I would really appreciate any feedback you may have, especially regarding grammar and spelling (I'm not to world's best speller by any means!). I have inserted blank spaces for very specific information to protect the innocent. :-)

Thanks!

Maria

__________________________________________________

Personal Statement, 11.30.08

No one can achieve greatness on her own-this is what I have come to realize during my unpredictable route from undergraduate to professional artist. I am a long way from my preconceived path and, not long ago, I saw this deviation as a failure. Now I understand the variances in my course as a discovery of where my true brilliance resides, and it has been the people along the way who have helped me shape this journey. As a graduate graphic design student at [the school], my expectation is to encounter more individuals who will contribute to my potential.

My original direction was towards illustration and I built a great foundation from my undergraduate education, thanks to illustrators ___ and ___ and letterpress guru ___. My attraction to pieces from the Arts & Crafts and Art Nouveau movements and native cultures began to translate into my art. In Italy, I had the extraordinary opportunity to see the work of illustrators from around the world at the Bologna Children's Book Fair. Six months after receiving my BFA, I took an intensive weeklong trip to New York City, full of informational meetings, portfolio drop-offs, and even an interview with ___. By the end of my visit, I was confident that I would soon be living in New York as an illustrator.

I returned to ___ only to find my family broken by miscommunication and mistrust. It was difficult to concentrate on my own pursuits and by January, I just wanted to find work outside the house so I could regain focus. The part-time jobs I would soon acquire proved to be invaluable experiences. As a sales person at ___, I rekindled my fondness for handmade art and was even encouraged by the manager, ___, to teach classes. My job at ___ became my first stride into professional design. Presentations director ___, supportive of my background in illustration, ensured that I received projects that utilized my talents and improved my skills.

At the end of 2007, I moved more towards graphic design as I accepted a position at ___. In such a rigorous studio environment, I have been pushed to the next level as a visual communicator. I have been trusted to conceptualize and execute the advertisements, promotions, and website for the citywide ___ event two years in a row. In addition, I have worked on smaller projects like the corporate identity for ___, which required comprehensive research of the client's native culture and business in order to deduce a successful representation of the company. All the while, the design director, ___, and my co-workers have helped me become proficient in all aspects of advertising and marketing design.

All these personal interactions and experiences-the delightful and the painful-have brought me to the next step: advanced studies in graphic design. My initial hope is to expand on explorations of art, design, and crafts, ultimately developing a style that is more in tune with my worldviews. I know that at [the school] I will receive an education tailored to my interest-I can mesh design with printmaking and other art forms. With the faculty headed by [director 1] and [director 2], I expect to be enlightened by avant-garde graphic design and innovative typography. In particular, I look forward to learning from [professor]: I associate with her sense of design and want to hear more about her involvement in design education.

Additionally, [the school] attracts some of the most talented and fervent artists in the world, as students and as visiting faculty, and I am excited to meet them and make connections within the design field. Coupled with the surrounding communities of [the city], the individuals will create a diverse atmosphere where I can learn to mold my designs to reach broader audiences.

Most important to me is paying it forward: I believe it is pivotal to take all that I have gained and use them to help the next generation of designers. I could not ask for a better opportunity to do so than through the [community program] at [the school]. I am thrilled by the prospect of helping younger students uncover future goals while working towards my own.

At [the school], I look forward to being challenged: to be pressed to explore new avenues as an artist, to create work that is relevant to the advancement of the design field, and practice educating a young, diverse group of up-and-coming artists. To me, all begins with people.
nevabressler - / 20  
I think it was very well written, in a funny and interesting way.

Neva
I believe that it is pivotal to take all that I have gained and use it to help the next generation of designers. I could not ask for a better opportunity to do so than through the [community program] at [the school]. I am thrilled by the prospect of helping younger students uncover future goals while working towards my own.

Wow, awesome. I have no suggestions, other than to find one or two facts about each school that can be incorporated into the final paragraph. Find the names of actual faculty members to mention, learn about them, and mention them...and you're in!

Home / Graduate / MFA Graphic Design/Visual Communications; Personal Statement