Essay for MS MIS for a student of Electronics Engineering background

mih_tam19 1 / 1  
Please review my essay and guide me in the right direction.

Statement of Purpose for graduate program in Management Information Systems.

A gradual yet an impregnable knowledge that I acquired during my tenure at *** has sparked my interest in pursuing MIS for my further studies. As I became seasoned in the company, which I joined in August 2016 soon after my under graduation, I began to unfold the ways in which data, technology and business are interdependent. Having an existing inclination in this arena, I was enthralled to comprehend this even further. Through the work that I did, I saw how handling data is imperative to the success of an organization.

It was through campus placement that I acquired the job of an Application Developer at ***, and go out in the real world and establish an indispensable industrial experience. Soon after I became a part of ***I undertook the intensive three month training. This laid a strong foundation in programming languages like Java, SQL, procedural language and C++. I was among the top five persons in my batch. Training including database warehousing, database management systems, web development and concepts incorporating agile methodology, Software Development Life Cycle, project life cycle, various business models, all helped me to move a step forward to perceive the amalgamation of information technology, data and management.

In nearly two years of my professional experience, I was exposed to comprehensive work related to data. I was part of an application development and data migration project; our client was ***, a subsidiary of a large US telecom giant. Our job was to migrate all client records and code to seven of sixty other companies. There were mainly four steps in the project- requirement analysis, design phase, migration of code and data and error analysis. I automated all the Excel tasks using macros and functions to compile an extensive inventory of our client's communication devices. The migration required total compatibility between any two companies' databases. I mapped the data in our databases to the requirements of the companies, then we used ETL for migration of the data. The project code written in Java was moved to the companies' platform, using TortoiseSVN. I developed the stored procedures to fetch records from our databases, and to provide migration status to the client, developed a Java code that would call the stored procedure every one hour. The stored procedure had an SQL query for outputting the number of records for that hour, and the Java code would send a mail to the companies informing of the data migrated. If there was any mismatch of number of records in two any databases, a stored procedure would check the corresponding records and output the rows where there was a problem. I worked intensively as a Java and SQL developer, interacting with huge databases on a daily basis. I have worked comprehensively with Oracle Database. In an era of exponentially growing data, I realized the importance of gathering meaningful data and filtering out the noise, to derive meaning from it. To this end, I am currently in the process of completing Python, R and Tableau certifications from Udemy and Coursera.

Working at *** helped me understand the technical advancements of the organization along with significant exposure to business processes and management. Along with my core development team, I had the responsibility of coordinating with the onsite personnel and chalking out various action plans for process improvement and deployment. At ***, we were only one of the many teams across India, Philippines and the USA to service our client. Coordinating with other teams frequently, I got familiar with American work culture and ethics.

Earlier, during my tenure at ***, the most reputed college affiliated to ***, I realized that any successful endeavor in engineering presupposes the ability to manage people alongside the application of knowledge. This fact led me to become a part of the Student Representative Council in winter of 2012 in the first year of my degree program and hone my managerial abilities. I strengthened my technical and managerial skills further in my final year project titled "RFID based automatic vehicle identification for access control", an access system for vehicles at toll booths and residential spaces making use of Radio Frequency Identification. The primary purpose of the system was to improve traffic flow efficiency at toll booths by speeding up the toll access process, thereby reducing mounting fuel costs because of inefficient and time consuming traditional access mechanisms. It was my endeavor to implement the system in India, drawing inspiration from USA and Canada, where it was already present. The plan did not materialize, but I did learn the value of developing a product from scratch by managing available resources. Completing the project required extensive effort which in turn sharpened my analytical skills. The project won Nagpur Institute of Technology's Anveshan 2016, a national level project competition.

Now, by pursuing MIS degree, I desire to explore the intersection of business with data further. In these times, we have an overabundance of data, but a dearth of tools and resources to handle it and make it useful. I believe that the future of data analytics is very bright, with organizations rapidly adapting to the changing nature of data. My work relevant to this field has allowed me to recognize great opportunities in this field and led me to believe that I need further studies to become a capable leader in this field. The program at your university presents a great opportunity for me to advance my skills in this area and contribute to the infrastructure in place for managing data. My interim goal is to work as a Data Analyst and advance my career after gaining valuable experience. I see myself as an independent consultant five years down the line.

I see the MIS program as broadening my perspective and expanding my horizons in the IT industry. I will be able to apply analytics knowledge better with an in-depth understanding of information systems. The program at xyz University perfectly matches my ambitions and is imperative for me to ascertain my career goals. Not only will the malleable course structure fit my needs to enter into data analysis technologies, the strong experiential program will boost my learning in a practical setting in a technology hotspot ( for example, New York), helping me to further my journey. The electives offered will help me to realize my goal as a data analyst. I am captivated with the credentials of professor X who teaches Y and I am sure that under his/her guidance I will be able to garner knowledge. I wish to thank you from my heart for giving me the opportunity to express my ambitions to you and for your precious time.
Mihir, you may want to further discuss your academic goals in relation to the university choice. Be a little bit more specific as to the courses that align with your academic interests. Explain how these academic interests will help to strengthen your future career advancement. A statement of purpose needs to be more than just about your experience, of which you have many ( and should consider limiting to only the most important and impressive to allow for other focus development), it needs to provide the reviewer with an insight into your academic requirements in relation to your professional success in the future.

Clarify your presentation in paragraph 5. Is that a professional or academic undertaking? It sounds like it is academic so rather than tenure, you should indicate your "time as a student" instead. You should omit any unaccomplished projects because the ideas you present will not improve your image. Stick with presenting completed projects and undertakings only.
OP mih_tam19 1 / 1  
Thank you for your time. I will surely edit it according to your suggestions.

Home / Graduate / Essay for MS MIS for a student of Electronics Engineering background