Motivation letter for admission to master program in TU Eindhoven

eldischa 1 / -  
Hi fellas.

I am a chemical engineering student from Indonesia. I currently in the middle of preparation process for an admission to Sustainable Energy Technology Master Program in TU Eindhoven. However, this is my first attempt in writing a motivation letter to an academic institution. Therefore I am eager to learn from those who excel in this field has to say about what I have wrote. Hopefully your thoughts and advices would help me to author a letter that shall bounce me to the gate of my dream. Lastly, I am sincerely grateful for your help. I wish that I might return the favour in any way, so please do not hesitate to share :)

Cheers,
Fadhila

I would like to begin my motivation letter by inviting you to a brief contemplation. Can we imagine living our daily activities without electricity? Moreover, how life would be if we were not be able to use cars for transportation? Energy is, without question, one of the fundamental human needs. The energy we use for our daily needs are, however, generated from highly polluting resources. As much as 42% of the world's electricity is generated from coal, and 133.1 kilograms of oil equivalent per capita of gasoline fuel is combusted to run the cars, buses, and trains, in any part of the world (World Bank, 2010). Moreover, the accumulated carbon emission as the result of these activities had reached a severe point, where a switch of power generation to completely carbon-free electricity would only cut the global warming effect by about two-thirds in 100 years time (Myhrvold, 2012). However it is unpractical to conduct life without the presence of these energies, as it seemed impossible to terminate the use of fossil fuel vehicles. Thus what we can do to address the issue is deriving electrical, fuel, and other kind of energy from renewable resources and promoting environmental concerns upon any form of energy utilization. These are the key of sustainable energy, which I firmly believe is a growing measure that will serve as the ultimate approach on the energy industry on the days to come.

The world society had begun to realize the need of shifting to low carbon emission energy resources, which reflected by the recent establishments of "green policy" towards industrial activities in both developed and developing countries. India has set the target of decreasing the national emission of 0.6 GtCO2 by 2020, China as the worlds biggest carbon emitter had planned to cut carbon emission/unit of GDP by 40-45% of 2005 levels by 2020, and the EU had established an Emission Trading System that aims to slash the carbon emissions to 20% below 1990 levels. These circumstances are appreciably consistent with my interest that is to be involved in the less-carbon-emission energy generation, particularly in biofuel development. Departing from this standpoint, I decided to enhance my competence and knowledge about renewable energy. The Sustainable Energy Technology Master Program therefore would ideally integrate my interest on sustainable energy with my background in Chemical Engineering.

The Tecnische Univesity of Eindhoven Sustainable Energy Technology (SET) Master program has enticed me for the variety of courses that are contained in the curriculum it provides, which substantially suits my preference. Having observed the SET program structure especially the biomass section in the elective courses, I became more convinced that this program has just about all I would need to excel on my future career in renewable energy technology. Furthermore I am greatly allured by the vibrant environment for studying that is provided by TU/e, with its vast resources and support facilities such as Eindhoven Energy Institute. Moreover I believe that the strategic location of TU/e in the midst of technological companies would help to bridge me on implementing the concepts I have learnt in classrooms to practical application in the industries accordingly.

Enabling an affordable and sustainable energy for the people has been my ultimate goal. Upon graduating from SET program, I am planning to return to Indonesia and being involved in the biofuel technology development through the government's body. The sustainable energy projects entail an integration of multidisciplinary aspects, and I believe SET program would help me to acquire the needed skills. Nurturing the sustainable energy development demands a mastery of technical aspect, how to synergize the technology on the given community, and how to maximize its performance and feasibility. I trust that SET program would indeed put me on the right path towards achieving these competencies with its extensive courses that not only cover the technological but also policy and societal respect.

During my bachelor study, I have been actively learning about energy science both through academic and extracurricular activities. Academically, my Chemical Engineering background has provided me with the engineering aspects I shall need as the foundation upon furtherance of knowledge on the SET program. In addition, I was actively involved in one of the energy related organization in my campus that is Society of Petroleum Engineers Universitas Gadjah Mada Student Chapter. Aside from that, I also concern on the environmental issues, which led to an involvement on GamaEARTH (Gadjah Mada Epicenter of Appropriate and Renewable Technology for Humanity) in my campus. Through both activities I learned the state of art development of energy technology, such as designing a biogas reactor from fruits waste in Gamping traditional fruit market in Yogyakarta. The experiences I gained had equipped me with fundamental insights and knowledge in sustainability and its close application on energy sector.

I am willing to take the extra measures in order to carry out the best performance on my responsibilities and my interest. In this regard I asked Professor Arief Budiman, an energy expert in my campus to be involved on one of his projects that is aiming on converting biomass into briquettes. This particular project has intensified my technical understanding about biomass utilization, which I expect would be substantially needed in the SET program. As a student, I have challenged myself to be able to work under compliance to multiple deadlines with ability to multitask. Both of my extracurricular and academic activities were rolled in parallel, and they had trained me to sharpen this skill. Eventually, I manage to maintain a good academic achievement while keeping active on student activities.

In summary, I had designed all of my activities to support my ultimate objective of participating on the sustainable energy development in Indonesia. Pursuing a master degree at SET program would therefore be my biggest preparatory measure towards achieving this goal. I greatly wish I could be admitted to the SET program at TU/e to forth arming for an intense involvement on the sustainable energy industry in the near future.
nanosuit 4 / 8 1  
Moreover, how life would be if we were not be able to use cars for transportation?

If you use that sentence, omit the question mark.If you don't want to omit the question mark, write 'how would life be if we were not be able to use cars for transportation?

However it is unpractical

*impractical

There are tons of careless mistakes.Proofread thoroughly.Good Luck :D

Home / Graduate / Motivation letter for admission to master program in TU Eindhoven