Motivation Letter for Ph.D Application (what very specific field I am interested in?)

sneha22 1 / -  
Hi,

I am supposed to write a motivation letter for my Ph.D. Application but I am at a loss.I did some personal exercises before I came to the decision that I really want to make a Ph.D or not.But I dont understand what very specific field I am interested in.In broad sense I am interested in pursuing a Ph.D in Emebedded Systems but into Embedded Sytems there are many specific lines one can opt for like FPGAs,System on chip , cognitive interaction.During my Masters I chose courses in two different fields one was embedded systems and other biomedical image processing(try a new option).Basically my master thesis also focuses on both the fields.The system design is in elctronics where as in software I intend to implement image processing Algorithms.

This Phd program is also multidisciplinary in nature and requires knowledge from the field of digital architecture and their interaction with the humans.Applications in the field of security, education and health-care.

This is my first experience in writing a phd application and I am not really sure where to start from.

Thanks
But I dont understand what very specific field I am interested in

Excellent, that is a great place to be!

many specific lines one can opt for like FPGAs,System on chip , cognitive interaction

No! You cannot opt. Do not choose anything from a list. Just explore each subject. Then, ask yourself what is important to you? What are you doing here, and what is your religion? You have to dig deep for this part, and really decide about some goal you want to accomplish. It may be slightly unrelated to system design.. stop thinking about systems for a moment, and think about the rest of life.

There must be a reason you chose to enter this field. You have a talent that you can put to use in this field. And you will probably have to sell a lot of your time and talent to some company that becomes your employer, but that is for later.Right now, you have this opportunity to really ask yourself what you can contribute by applying your talent.

So what is it going to be? You will skim through articles that fascinate you... articles written by people in the past 3 years. When you read them, of course each will have a MAIN IDEA that is the author's insight. When you have skimmed through ALL the recent articles about your areas of interest, you will be ready to take the next step by CONTRIBUTING an insight of your own. Contribute to the ongoing conversation. Now that you are gaining some mastery in this field, you are ready to express your own unique contribution. Don't try to force it, just go read another article. :^)

Home / Graduate / Motivation Letter for Ph.D Application (what very specific field I am interested in?)