Motivation Letter - Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree - Master in Medical Imaging and Applications

A_yousuf98 1 / -  
Hey!

I applied to Erasmus scholarship in Medical Imaging or the MAIA program and I was wondering if anyone can help with pinpointing the main flaws of my letter. It's because I was thinking about using some of what I wrote here for another program that I am applying for. On the scholarship website, they say that the motivation letter should answer why I chose their program and why they should choose me. So I wanted to know if this essay answered their questions. Also, I know I have an issue with coherence and cohesion when writing, so I would appreciate it if anyone can address this issue in the essay. This is the program website for more info maiamaster.udg.edu/.

And this is the motivation letter:

Intrigued by the way things work and motivated to learn engineering concepts and apply it to medicine. These are the main two reasons I studied biomedical engineering. As a biomedical engineering student, I had exposure to the fundamentals of many engineering fields and their applications in healthcare, especially computer science. Obtaining a master's degree in medical imaging and CAD will enable me to build upon those fundamentals and transfer my ideas to applicable contributions in automated diagnosis. Therefore, I am ready for the career-defining and holistic MAIA program.

Medical imaging piqued my interest in college when I first attempted to use a Deep Learning model for a medical image segmentation project. I learned, as a result, many concepts in DL, such as neural networks and implemented them using python libraries like TensorFlow and Keras. My interest in the field grew stronger in the ensuing years and shaped my vision to pursue a master's degree that involves Deep learning, medical imaging, and signal processing. I developed many research and coding skills in the process of determining my future research direction. Currently, I am using MATLAB and ML algorithms in my graduation research, studying xxxxxx. Moreover, based on my research outcome, I will publish a paper as a first author. Though I believe I have a decent understanding of AI in healthcare, I know I need the systematic learning environment and experts' guidance which MAIA program fortunately offers.

My determination to achieve my goals made me overcome many challenges during my studies. Learning a degree taught in Mandarin, which I had known for one year only, was not an easy task. However, I never gave up and continued to improve until I obtained a 4/4 GPA last semester. I also self-learned all my college subjects in English, which enabled me to understand published research easily.

In the face of hardship, I don't stop working on myself for a better future. In 2020, travel restrictions made my school suspend me for one year as they couldn't offer online classes for one student (me). Despite being in a state of uncertainty and disappointment, I used the time to take online courses, obtain good results in IELTS and HSK6(advanced Mandarin) tests, and contribute to a conference paper. Though I was asked to suspend for another year, I contacted individual teachers and everyone I could in the university and found reasonable alternatives to suspension; as a result, I am eventually going to graduate in July this year.

Judging from MAIA's program structure, produced research papers, and alumni achievements, I am convinced this program aligns with my experience and goals. I aim to culminate my master's degree by developing novel DL and ML algorithms in medical imaging, especially in MRI modality. The taught modules will equip me with the skills to achieve my aim as they focus on image processing techniques, ML and DL algorithms, CAD systems and their feasibility in clinical settings. Moreover, by conducting research in a partner company or lab, I can identify current clinical requirements and trends; subsequently, I will be able to develop readily-integrable and practical solutions through my master thesis.

The benefits I will gain from MAIA program extend beyond the academic scope as it is a comprehensive and diverse. By joining your program, I will develop many soft skills needed as a biomedical engineer, since I have to interact with professionals of various fields. Moreover, experiencing the diverse and ancient cultures of three major European countries is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me. Ultimately, joining MAIA program is a holistic experience that will provide me with a platform to develop academically and professionally while experiencing EU values firsthand.

In conclusion, my research experience, programming skills, and clear-cut objective qualify me to join the MAIA program under the EMJMD scheme. I understand that a highly integrated program such as MAIA is quite demanding; nonetheless, I also believe in my abilities to excel under pressure and my unwavering motivation to pursue my degree in the field of medical imaging. Besides the academic outcome of MAIA program, I hope to build connections and meet many like-mined people with diverse perspectives. I also aspire to be a role model to students from xxxxx. Show them that it is possible for a student from a [description about country] to achieve their goals if they are patient and tenacious enough and never give in to unfavorable circumstances.
I can understand how, based on the application requirements, you will believe that you are highly qualified as an applicant to this program, even though you appear to still be an undergraduate at this point. You have ample academic exposure to the field of interest in relation to the double masters courses. However, your academic accomplishments and ability to perform during the pandemic will not be the only considerations. Usually, the applicants to these sorts of programs carry with them ample research experience either as a research assistant or, as a published researcher. They will be your competition and they will be the reason that your application will appear weak to the reviewer when held in comparison to the more seasoned applicants.

Try to focus on strengthening your internship experience in relation to the courses. Concentrate on increasing the profile of your current research in a manner that shows a cutting edge topic that is destined to change the way that AI functions in medical science. Make them believe that you are the next Elon Musk of Medical Imaging. I do not get a sense of your promise as a researcher in this field. Perhaps because there was not ample development of this side, when it is actually what will give you the competitive edge in the face of stiff competition.

Home / Graduate / Motivation Letter - Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree - Master in Medical Imaging and Applications