Motivation letter to a school for advertised PhD Admission in Environmental Economics

Manisca 1 / 2  
Please colleagues, I am writing a motivation letter to a school for advertised PhD Admission in Environmental Economics. Kindly help me proofread, criticise, and offer suggestions. Thank you.

I am writing to express my interest in applying for the PhD position in economic impacts of private forest investment in ... with the ...at the...University.

I studied Agricultural Technology from 2002 to 2006 at the University for Development Studies where I obtained a bachelor degree majors in Economics and Extension with Second Class (Upper Division). The undergraduate curriculum run by my school exposed me to great research skills through its Third Trimester Field Practical Training Programme (TTFPTP) where first time researchers undertake practical research exercise in the field. I am currently completing my MSc degree programme in Agricultural Economics at Harran University. My thesis is titled "Estimating the technical efficiency of cassava production in the Savannah Zone of Northern Ghana - Stochastic Frontier Analysis".

Knowledge is power. The difference in the level of development between the developed and the developing world lies in the level of human development. The generation and dissemination of knowledge is a crucial factor in determining the progress of a society. Africa is a developing continent with large significant natural resources and massive development potential. The status of a developing continent implies a significant lack in empirical knowledge in certain specialized fields. This means that the level of knowledge generation and dissemination in critical sectors of the economy is woefully inadequate. Much more needs to be done. Agricultural development is central to enhancing economic and social development. Forestry as a specialized area of agriculture and natural resource management has the potential to contribute significantly to economic growth and development. Private forestry is an area with a great potential to support the fight to eradicate famine, poverty, malnutrition, illiteracy among other social ills and the enhancement of rural development. With this concept firmly rooted in my mind I belief the PhD position in economic impacts of private forest investment in .... with the .... at the .... University is the right place to be. This program presents the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to solving a crucial problem facing the African continent. It also fulfils my personal ambitions of obtaining PhD degree from a highly reputed international institution of learning.

My background and training has equipped me the necessary skills and expertise to be able to carry out this research successfully. During my study days, I recognized my strength in courses such as Agricultural Policy & Development, Production Economics, Environmental Economics, Econometrics & Operational Research Methods, Land Survey, Environmental & Sustainable Agriculture, Wild Life & Fisheries, Forestry, Agricultural Meteorology, Agricultural Botany, Rural Sociology and Agricultural Extension, Agriculture Project Planning & Appraisal, Farming Systems Research, Research Methods, Experimental Design, Agricultural By-product Utilization, Plant Pathology, Agricultural Extension Education, Irrigation, Rural Development and Change, Micro and Macro Economics etc. Through work experience, I gained considerable knowledge and experience in the project cycle, data collection, analysis and presentation, monitoring and evaluation, conducting research, organizing tutorials, research and scientific presentations.

After my undergraduate studies I went straight into the world of work that provided opportunity for reasonable practical experience making use of my theoretical skills from the program. My experience as United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) as Field Specialist and Field Assistants Supervisor in Forest Services Division is serving as a platform for my interest in the field of agricultural economics and environmental economics. As part of my work I assisted communities to design strategies to enhance their resilience to climate change and natural disasters, advocating for sound environmental management and practices in communities, influencing community positive change towards bad farming practices, farmer groups formation and development, training of farmers, drawing local level development plans etc.

Further engagement in research work during my work has improved my research skills tremendously. Again, as a liaison officer and part of data collection team for a research study on indigenous knowledge and climate change adaptation in Ghana has raised my curiosity in the field of environmental economics. Also I took part in a number of research works both in school and after school, all of which prepared me for world the research. As part of a data collection team for research work on assessment of the availability, accessibility and patronage of veterinary services in selected districts of Northern Ghana. Also my undergraduate thesis: "impact of micro-credit of the livelihoods of beneficiaries; the case of Maata Ntudu micro-credit scheme in Datoyili" all exposed me to the nuances of research particularly in the African setting.

I have much interest in environmental policies and decision-making, impact analysis of components of the environment and climate change and variability issues. I want to pursue a career as a lecturer and academic investigator to contribute to knowledge. I am keen to join the programme because of my experience in the field of environmental research engagements, the challenge it will pose to my future carrier, my desire to learn more, to share my experience with others. I always feel and want to be part of a scientific community where global and current issues on sciences are the centre of attraction. Moreover, my passion for research investigation and urge to impact knowledge through teaching and research is high. I also feel motivated by my career goal as lecturer, researcher and a change agent.

Curiously, research work in environmental economics will provide the necessary enviro-economic information for making decisions and designing environmental policies at a least cost to East Africa and to Africa at large. People around the project area will understand how investments in those sectors affect their quality of live, social and general well-being. High-quality environmental economics research is arguably the best that is needed for both direct and indirect actors to improve their knowledge and understanding of their roles in the development of private forest investment. Scientific findings of this study will make available relevant information to government and other decision makers and also serve as a reference material for other countries. There is no denying the fact that climate change is a global menace, unfortunately the seriousness with which the phenomenon is tackled is debatable. Information about the environment is considered one of the most effective ways to reduce climate change effects on population.

Of course many impact assessment studies with concrete scientific findings on environmental thematic areas including forestry have taken place across the globe. However the environmental conditions prevailing in East Africa are to some extent unique to its geographical setting. This has therefore made absolute generalisation of works from other geographical areas less enthused. When this study is completed, academicians and other scientific investigators will have the benefit of specific sector information and accordingly apply it to knowledge and decision making process.

I belong to the generations of students who do not only pursue academics but also explore potentials in other sectors as well. I have not missed an opportunity to get involved with extra-curricular activities whiles at school. I served as a library prefect in my Senior High School, Research Team Leader during Third Trimester Field Practical Training Program. I am currently the President of International Students Union in my city in Turkey. Coming from one of the ethnic groups with unprecedented rich cultural heritage in northern Ghana, I have passion for culture and make every effort to share mine with colleagues and also learn from others. I have always loved learning new fields of knowledge and I am looking forward to exploring them in more depth at a higher level. My main interests & hobbies lie in films. I especially like films and drama of a documentary nature that give an insight into life of another culture. I like deciphering the message behind other people's work and looking for where they drew their inspiration from.

Frankly, I realized the highly competitive nature of the program, but I have enough ability, ambition and motivation to cope with the requirements of the program. I am eager to gain new experiences and contribute to knowledge. I would be very proud and happy if my application is considered for the program.
ChristineB - / 108 55  
Hi, Manisca. I'm going to work on your word choice to help make your writing clearer:

I am writing to express my interest in applying for the PhD position in economic impacts of private forest investment...The part is red is wordy and confusing. What is the name of the program? Is it Environmental Economics? Try saying just that:applying for the Ph.D. program in Environmental Economics.Or perhaps:applying for the Environmental Economics Ph.D. program to study the impact of forestry on developing nations.

I studied Agricultural Technology from 2002 to 2006 at the University for Development Studies where I obtained a bachelor degree majors in Economics and Extension with Second Class (Upper Division).Let me reword this for you:I studied agricultural technology at the University of Development Studies from 2002-2006, earning a bachelor's degree in Economics and Extension with Second Class (Upper Division).

The generation and dissemination of knowledge is a crucial factor in determining the progress of a society.Here's a better way to say this:are crucial factors in determining a society's progress.

Africa is a developing continent with large significant natural resources... try this:abundant

The status of a developing continent implies a significant lack in empirical knowledge in certain specialized fields. This means that the level of knowledge generation and dissemination in critical sectors of the economy is woefully inadequate. Much more needs to be done.I'm going to shorten this for you:By definition, developing nations lack the knowledge to develop specialized industries. They require help improving their economies.

I'll stop there for now. I hope this has helped you!
ChristineB - / 108 55  
Private forestry is an area with a great potential to support the fight to eradicate famine, poverty, malnutrition, illiteracy among other social ills and the enhancement of rural development.

Try this:Private forestry can enhance rural development and help eradicate famine, poverty, malnutrition, illiteracy, and other social ills.

___________________

With this concept firmly rooted in my mind I belief the PhD position in economic impacts of private forest investment in .... with the .... at the .... University is the right place to be. This program presents the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to solving a crucial problem facing the African continent. It also fulfils my personal ambitions of obtaining PhD degree from a highly reputed international institution of learning.

Let me help you shorten these sentiments:I envision your highly esteemed Ph.D. program as the perfect way for me to acquire the knowledge to address some of Africa's biggest problems.

____________________

My background and training has equipped me the necessary skills and expertise to be able to carry out this research successfully.

You need to add a "with" and change the "has" to "have." Also, I'm going to take out a couple of words to shorten this and add some to elaborate on your research:

My background and training have equipped me with the necessary skills and expertise to be able to perform well in your program and achieve my goal of helping Africa's development.

_______________________

During my study daysuniversity years , I recognized my strengthexcelled in courses such as Agricultural Policy & Development, Production Economics, Environmental Economics, Econometrics & Operational Research Methods, Land Survey, Environmental & Sustainable Agriculture, Wild Life & Fisheries, Forestry, Agricultural Meteorology, Agricultural Botany, Rural Sociology and Agricultural Extension, Agriculture Project Planning & Appraisal, Farming Systems Research, Research Methods, Experimental Design, Agricultural By-product Utilization, Plant Pathology, Agricultural Extension Education, Irrigation, Rural Development and Change, Micro and Macro Economics, etc..

I changed "recognized my strength" to "excelled," added a comma before the "etc.", and added a second period next to the "etc.". I think this could be better if you could think of a label that would encompass all of these classes, then list them if you choose to do so. Like this: During my university years, I excelled at courses in Environmental Economics, such as Agricultural Policy & Development, Production Economics, Environmental Economics,... Then you could leave off the "etc." at the end.

________________________

Through work experience, I gained considerable knowledge and experience in the project cycle, data collection, analysis and presentation, monitoring and evaluation, conducting research, organizing tutorials, research and scientific presentations.

There is some repetition here. I am not sure what you mean by "project cycle," so I omitted it. Try this:Through work experience, I gained considerable experience collecting and analyzing data, presenting my findings, and preparing student tutorials.

______________________

I will try to do more later. Hope this has helped you!
OP Manisca 1 / 2  
Thank you very much Chris. Your corrections and suggestions are well noted.
ChristineB - / 108 55  
I'm back to work some more on your letter:

After my undergraduate studies, I went straight into the world of work that provided opportunity for reasonable practical experience making use of my theoretical skills from the program. My experience asbegan working for the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) as aForest Services Field Specialist and Field AssistantsSupervisor in Forest Services Division.This position provided me with valuable and practical experienceis serving as a platform for my interest in the field of agricultural economics and environmental economics. As part of my work, I assistedhelped communities todesignstrategies to enhance their resilienceprepare forto climate change and natural disasters, advocatingadvocated for sound environmental management and practices in communities , influencing community positive change towardsraised awareness about bad farming practices, farmer groups formation and development, training of farmers, drawing local level development plans etc.trained farmers, developed farmer organizations, and drew up local development plans.

________________
Here's your next paragraph:

In addition to the practical knowledge I gained from my work at UNDP, I have developed research skills that will enhance my career.Further engagement in research work during my work has improved my research skills tremendously. Again,I learned much about data collection(and analysis?) as a liaison officer and part of dataacollection team for a researchingstudy on indigenous knowledge and climate change adaptation in Ghana has raised my curiosity in the field of environmental economics . Also I took part in a number of research works both in school and after school, all of which prepared me for world the research.My research work has also includedAs part of a data collection team for research work onan assessment of the availability, accessibility, and patronage of veterinary services in selected districts of Northern Ghana. Also myMy undergraduate thesis:, "Ii mpact of micro-credit of the livelihoods of beneficiaries; the case of Maata Ntudu micro-credit scheme in Datoyili" all exposed me to the nuances of research, particularly in the African setting. (What nuances? This last sentence is somewhat vague.)
OP Manisca 1 / 2  
Nuances of research there refers to the technicalities of research. That is the the nitty gritty of it.

Home / Graduate / Motivation letter to a school for advertised PhD Admission in Environmental Economics