Motivation Essay - Software Engineering - Master Course

zchowdhury 1 / 1  
I am trying to apply a Master on Software Engineering with Scholarship. I have written following articles. English is not my native language. So I believe there are several grammatical and structural error. Can you guys please review it and fix my sentence. Thanks in advance.

Question: Expose briefly your motivation (why this Master and not another?)

Answer:
During my under graduate study I worked one year as a part-time web developer in a local software company. It was an outsource based company. When I got a project I started coding after studying specification for few hours. I did little analysis and eventually I got stuck when project got bigger and when few changes came. Most of the time I did not able to meet deadline and few projects were rejected. Then I met with Software Engineering at last year course and first noticed a project is more than simply coding.

After completing the graduation I started my career as a freelancer web developer. After one year of hard working I got several reliable clients and got more projects than I expected. So I decided to hire few developers and start a company by myself. It was May 2007 and still I am running this company. During this period I faced couple of serious problems. To avoid complexity we started development with Water Fall model. But eventually came to the fact that, it creates much more difficulties. I failed to meet the deadlines on several projects again. Lack of proper analysis and design few projects seem continue forever with flaws and errors.

To meet deadline we put little effort on testing. Most of the time we tested program while we were developing and send it to the client immediately we finished coding. It helped us to keep our words about deadline. But I was wrong, clients back to us hundreds of bugs and situation became worse.

Now a days I realize the importance of Software Engineering (SE) very much. It is not sufficient to start a company with a single course of SE at under graduate level. I need to study each part of it in depth. I have a dream to study SE at one the best universities of the world. But my financial situation is not good enough to effort it without any scholarship. In this situation, I found this Master on Software Engineering is the only hope to achieve my goal. This advanced program is more related to my interest and research. This program would be the best opportunity for me to continue my education. Moreover it will also help me to understand two foreign cultures.

As a whole I will be very much inspired to continue my studies & research if I can get the opportunity to pursue my Master on Software Engineering.

Question: Additional qualifications you may have (papers, masters, courses,...)

Answer:
Besides my job I participated on several social activities. I was invited by several organizations to deliver speech on outsourcing market opportunity in Bangladesh. Last year I was invited by Dhaka University Bangladesh to take one day workshop on professional website development. I am a regular author of a national IT magazine, writing about new technologies every month.
I think you should answer the prompt question somewhere in that first paragraph. You should probably add a sentence at the end.

After completing the graduation, I started my career as a freelancer web developer.

To meet deadlines, we put little effort into testing. Most of the time, w e tested programs while we were developing them and sent them to the clients immediately after we finished coding.

As a whole I am very inspired about continuing my studies and research, so it will be a great privilege if I can get the opportunity...

Part two is excellent!
OP zchowdhury 1 / 1  
Hi Kevin,
Thank you very much for your suggestion. How about adding following line after first paragraph?

... Then I met with Software Engineering at last year course and first noticed a project is more than simply coding. My first motivation came from there.

Let me know.
Well, yes, but then add one more sentence that says something like:
I choose [name of program] as the foundation for my future as a software engineer, because [say something that makes the program better for you than other programs or other schools]

Home / Graduate / Motivation Essay - Software Engineering - Master Course