Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

MSc Environmental Engineering Statement of Purpose

melis 1 / -  
Hello everyone, this is my first post and first statement of purpose that I wrote. So, I'm already thankful for your help.

In 2010, A dam wall at Ajka Alumina Plant in Ajka, Hungary collapsed. Ten people died and 226 people were injured. My teacher have mentioned during the whole lesson about this accident in Mining Production Technology course and he wanted to inform us, future engineers, who will work on the plants about the working conditions in hazardous areas, occupational safety and environmental effects of mining. While the students in the class were discussing about the only engineering failures that caused the accident, the another issue that I was curious about was what happened to aquatic life in the rivers and the whole nature when the alkali red mud released. Scientists were trying to decrease environmental degradation to utilize by technology and I knew that I want to be one of them.

The course, Coal Technology, which I took in 3th class has increased my interest of the environment. Coal is the main energy resource in the World and it has also significant negative effects to the environment. This course has provided me to learn clean coal technologies and controlling the emissions after combustion of coal. During 4th class of my undergraduate education, I took the elective course which is named Remediation of Industrial and Mineral Wastes because of my interest of this field. I have been able to know about techniques developed to reduce environmental pollution in mineral processing plants, remediation of flotation reagents and oil-based chemicals and properties of waste disposal systems including design of tailings dams. At the same time, I have taken part in Nature and Environment Foundation as a volunteer participant aim to reach people through seminars, short movies and materials such as brochures to increase environmental awareness.

Besides, I have tried to environmental related topic when I was choosing my graduation thesis. The professor who gives Coal Technology course knew my interest of the environment asked me to work in his project. His project was about designing a Plant to enrich concantrate copper from former copper mining plant in Cyprus without using chemical consumption. Thus, I have started to work on my thesis and we have applied cementation method in original pH to produce the cemented copper from dissolved material which had been leached with water in its original pH value. Being part of this project has improved my plant designing skill and taught to develop processes which are environmentally friendly.

After completing my master program, I would like to continue my education and obtain a Ph.D. in the same program. The specific area that I want to improve myself is waste water treatment technology. In particular, I want to work on the techniques to reduce the emissions and to manage the water resources to protect the environment. To apply Environmental and Land Planning Engineering Master Program gives me an opportunity to work with professors like Francesca Malpei and when I consider my future aims it will be the best decision for my future education. Likewise, because of my willigness of working on environmental protection and remediation technologies I can become epuipped on these fields when I graduated from Environmental and Land Planning Engineering Master Program. As an applicant who is from a Mediterranean country, I suppose that I can adapt to the social life in Italy easily while I'm studying in Politecnico di Milano.

Home / Graduate / MSc Environmental Engineering Statement of Purpose