National Concern - Graduate Degree Application - Personal Statement for studies in Korea

eti_k 1 / -  

to make vision a reality

Hello everyone!

I am planning to apply for a master's degree in business. I have trouble writing my essays at first but fortunately, I have finished them already. I just want some insights and opinions about what I have written so far. Please do assess. Thank you. Attached is my personal statement.

This is the rubric for the personal statement as per guidelines:
o Motivations with which you apply for this program.
o Your education and work experience in relation to major.
o Reason for studying in Korea
o Knowledge about Korean culture and/or Korea in general
o Any other aspects of your background and interests which may help us evaluate your aptitude and passion for graduate study or research.

My parents' difficulties during their childhood motivated them to raise children who would value education as a platform for opportunities. They took turns working overseas to provide for the family. Eventually, while my mother endured working and living alone in a foreign country, my father took care of us. Then, to sustain the family's growing needs, my parents decided to venture into the farming business. There, I witnessed my father do business selling pigs, cultivating the land, and harvesting crops. This experience fueled my desire to own and manage a business someday.

In the university, I took up Bachelor of Science in Business Administration major in Marketing. On multiple occasions, people say that if I wanted to have a business of my own, then I should be in entrepreneurship and not marketing. However, I believe that marketing is the heart of any enterprise that enables value-laden engagements with customers. That is why, rather than entrepreneurship, I opted for marketing as it is closer to my ideals in business management.

Growing up, I have always been fascinated by television advertisements, store posters, mall tarpaulins, and online ads. I marvel at how these insignificant details greatly affect purchase decisions. Oftentimes, people mistake marketing with selling or advertising. However, my academic training dispelled these myths. Studying marketing made my points of view more sensible. I got to prove that marketing involves a gamut of persuasive processes of addressing the society's needs and wants through engaging in communication, building connections, and forming relationships with both customers and stakeholders while taking ethics and social responsibility into consideration. Interestingly, that is the beauty of the discipline of marketing that I have grown to love.

In 2017, I was fortunate to spearhead the team that organized a school-wide research conference where undergraduate business students disseminated their research findings. I served as an overseer for the promotion of the event. In that same year, I also represented our university at a national entrepreneurial competition. Keenly considering current market trends and successfully defending the feasibility of the startup plan, my team and I managed to be at the top 3 for our category. These opportunities, along with many others, honed my capabilities as a marketer. Amidst my academic endeavors, I never failed to take part in various social and extra-curricular activities. I have consistently engaged in the arts such as dancing and singing, and various performing productions such as theater and film. These experiences ignited my passion for the arts from a very young age, and it persisted in the university. Such exposures and immersions, in and outside the field of marketing, made me driven to pursue greater milestones.

Living in X,X, a melting pot of cultures could very well explain the diversity of people in the area. Aside from X from all over the country, foreigners also continue to grow in number. Currently, the city has Koreans as its largest foreign national population. At the university, I met people and took pleasure in socializations. I was able to interact with students of other nationalities - Chinese, Indonesian, Middle East, and Koreans, alike. I also had Korean classmates who became great friends of mine. Encounters with them were extraordinary, to say the least. The language we used was English and had no problems communicating. During our free time, it was a fascination to teach each other our vernaculars - X and Korean. We also had knowledge sharing about our culture and practices, unique traditions, language, food, and my forever fascination - music and film.

X and Korea both have a history of colonialism, but the underlying difference between them is adherence to locally produced goods and services. I have always admired such Korean advocacy. It's not that X are less proud, but the level of patriotism manifested by Koreans for their nation is heartwarming for me. Each country possesses beautiful cultures worth preserving for the next generations to come. I hope that I can enjoin my fellow Xs to showcase our distinctive identity as much as Koreans. Perhaps, by exploring marketing further through the Master's Program in South Korea, I can harness greater wisdom so that I can advance knowledge and practice in matters of national concern.

With this reinvigorating realization, I stand firm in upholding efforts to promote the true X by all means possible. In the pursuit of cultural exchange, revolutionizing national identity, fostering national pride, and stewardship of cultural heritage, I seek potential platforms to be able to realize this passion. I aspire to be exposed to international best practices as a benchmark in a purposive business venture improving trade, relationships, tourism, and cultural exchange across nations, especially the ties between Korea and X. I believe that higher learning and advanced studies in the field will support this vision and make it a reality.

I would appreciate any comment from you guys. Thank you!
shingeki1996 3 / 5 1  
@eti_k
Thank you for coming in this website.

First is that don't sound like you admire korea than your own country. Focus on your qualification, state your relevant honors, awards and key projects boldly.

The most important part should be talking about your future plans, your essay lacks this part.

Strenthen your motivation more. There are grammatically wrong parts in your essay, double check.

Home / Graduate / National Concern - Graduate Degree Application - Personal Statement for studies in Korea