NOTHING THREATS THE WORLD MORE THAN NUCLEAR WEAPONS

Blue Autumn 1 / -  
Paper's title:

Brief bio of the writer: I am a first-year-student of the University of Economics and Finance. I major in International Bussiness. I'm a warm-hearted girl with the willing to encourage and bring into life the innovative ideas on stopping the nuclear arms race.

People are always saying they scared of nuclear wars even though that every developed country equips lots of nuclear weapons! Countries with a history of nuclear weaponry are frantically upgrading their old bombs and creating new deadlier ones. They justified their guilty according to realism: nuclear arms race occurred in order to protect their own countries' sovereignty. As you can see through World War II, many in the United States felt the decisive use of nuclear weapons actually saved lives by preventing a bloody invasion of Japan.

Nuclear wars are always nightmares for human beings in every period. Sophisticated weapons caused an appalling loss of life each year. They damaged such a lot of buildings whenever they happened. Nobody can accurately know how many people had to live a life without a shelter to hide from the rain and the snow. Moreover, wars destroyed many fields which resulted in a shortage of food. Countless people were effected by radioactivity, they had to suffer intense pain all day long. Let's take World War II as a valuable example, during the war, people all around the world had to endure agony, starvation and several severe diseases like Agent Orange,... Every day, humans lived with fear of death and dying. Their tears and their screams still obsessed those who luckily survived through that tough times.

Besides, nuclear wars caused greatly affect to the environment. We were given so much, the only planet in the solar system with life. This planet, where we are given medicine from trees, not coincidentally. Literally, the forests and the rivers are our brothers, the sky and the earth are our friends. And we are all connected in a circle, in a hope that lasts forever! Nevertheless, we did such terrible things with our dear planet! We showed our power by the nuclear arms race and you know what? We betrayed all graces that Mother Nature gave us! We do create suffering around us! Can you count how many rivers, lakes,... were polluted by the effect of radioactivity? Do you know how many creatures such as fishes, shrimps,... died each day? Lots of forests disappeared as soon as a nuclear war exploded. Everything does not just stop there, those areas affected by radiation can not have any living creatures for a long time. During that time, numerous animals lost their habitats or even went extinct.

Innovate nuclear weapons leads to global disaster sooner or later. Many American scientists who invented the first nuclear weapons were very sorry for having released such a terrible "monsters". They called upon the governments, the countries to immediately stop using or making nuclear weapons, but their words did not carry weight. The desire to dominate the strategy prompted America and the Soviet Union to start the nuclear arms race. I mean, to humans that would be worse than an apocalypse. Even a limited nuclear war involving tens of nuclear weapons, could lead to the end of all lives on the planet.

How can we excuse for making such horrible nuclear weapons that spread death and devastation throughout most of the world to an extent never before experienced? An attempt to express the value of property and livelihoods in terms of money is useless: the resulting sums reach unbelievable figures. We believed in arguments of the developed countries' governments about how useful nuclear arms race is. They just do whatever good for their country without hesitation. And what about our planet? Who will speak for the ones who endured the loss caused by nuclear wars? And who will protect the Earth from the destruction of nuclear weapons?

Refusing to acknowledge the seriousness of the threat makes people underestimate the extreme devastation of nuclear wars. It's not the nation-states that have potential access to mass destruction, but individuals. However, those who strongly disapproved of nuclear arms race were indicted for defaming the administration and spreading reactionary ideas. Large-scale nuclear war has never happened before so people can't fully appreciate the gravity of the situation. The damages are really serious, we can't foresee it any more than we can escape it.

The unprecedented nuclear preparedness makes the world a very dangerous place, even in times of peace. Since the loudly proclaimed end of the Cold War, cuts have been made in outdated nuclear weapons, but huge arsenals of other deadly weapons remain and continue to be developed. Now, in the face of real threats - for instance, North Korea's recent nuclear weapons tests, which fly in the face of sanctions, reasonable people disagree about whether we should maintain some nuclear weapons to deter aggression. In my opinion, we must immediately stop the nuclear arms race because today's nuclear weapons are hundreds of times more powerful even than those dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I do not know what the future holds but I know there's no future without stopping the nuclear arms race. Ever since humans appeared, the Earth was seriously devastated at an extremely fast speed. We have increased the extinction of animals by 1000 times the normal rate. In the future, our young generations can never have a chance to see the unique or even become friends with those animals which disappeared forever. We have poisoned the oceans so much that our future generations can't swim in them. Everything is changing fast: more droughts, increased desertification, crashing food systems, water scarcity, famine, political instability,... and sadly, we called it the price for progress.

The most serious crisis is not global warming, environmental destruction or even global warming. It is humans! These huge problems are byproducts of "incredible" inventions - deadly weapons! However, I don't want to accept the future which we must find another planet to live. We can redirect that perspective if we have a strong decision. Remember, all that we do, is not only for today but also for tomorrow.

We have a responsibility for protecting this planet because it is our only home. We have to warm every others' hearts and change our soul to realize that we are just children of nature like any animals around us. To betray Mother Nature means to betray us and to save the Earth is to save ourselves. Let's take action before it's too late!

I am just a student so I can't have thoroughly solutions for this international issue but I hope that you aren't, either. We can't patch holes in the ozone layer, we can't bring extinct species back to life or we can't bring back the forests that omce green, where there are now deserts. We don't know how to fix it but we can stop breaking it! All of us should do our share to achieve a single goal: a world with no nuclear arms race anymore! I only a student but I know if all the money spent on wars was spent on seeking for answers for environmental problems, ending poverty, finding agreements,... then life would be beautiful and worth living. I was taught how to behave properly, not to fight each other, to work things out in a peaceful way, to respect each other and to not to hurt animals. Then why you do the things that you tell me not to do? Remember, you are deciding what kind of future that us-young generations- growing up there. Please, hear the Earth crying and stop nuclear arms race now and then!
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@Blue Autumn
Hi. Welcome here! We're always glad to have new people coming around. If you have more questions with regards to the forum, we'll be more than happy to assist you!

Firstly, I appreciate the introductory paragraph. It was quite a quirky and innovative manner of introducing the subject itself. The only concern I have with this part of your text is that it still lacks the comprehensiveness. See, it is not enough for you to just mention briefly these details. Instead, what I heavily recommend is trying to put here a brief summation of the thesis statement of your essay. Be clearer with what you really want the readers to see.

Furthermore, if we take a look at the chunk of your body paragraphs, you seem to be lacking concrete evidences throughout. While it was great that you were creatively trying to explain, for example, what happened in Agent Orange, it also can come off as quite treacherous, considering that these events need to have more of a serious appeal to them given the nature of it.

What I do suggest is outlining everything prior to writing. From my observation, the writing appears to be quite cluttered in terms of what direction you're planning to take it in.

Home / Graduate / NOTHING THREATS THE WORLD MORE THAN NUCLEAR WEAPONS