One page Statement of Purpose for Mechanical Engineering Masters

nanz17 1 / 1  

writing a SOP for an university

So I have finally written up a 1 page SOP(Max requirement) for a specific university, and I kindly wish for you to review it. I don't have any research experience and I'm an international applicant. All criticisms are welcome as I'm not very good with words but am very interested in research. Willing to read yours in return :)

I want to pursue a Master's of Science in Mechanical Engineering, as my aspiration is to become a researcher in academia. My research interests are automation, assistive devices, control and safety systems.

In high school, I was fascinated by the moving machinery in the world around me. I used to watch documentaries about aeroplanes, supercars and basically anything that moved. Mesmerized by the complicated machinery used to manufacture these vehicles, I decided to pursue a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering. During my Bachelor's, I realized that conventional mechanical systems can be made simpler by removing most of the moving parts and replacing them with electronic components. This realization led me to discover a mechanical engineering field called Mechatronics and Robotics.

My motivation to pursue research in mechatronics originated from taking a course on Mechatronics offered by Siemens. It offered me hands-on experience with mechanical and electronic systems which industries use to automate manual processes. My interest in the field further intensified when I found myself being immensely intrigued by machines used to test the quality of products while working as a Quality Control Intern at Dabur LLC. The course and the internship equipped me with technical experience that will be a strong asset to the research work on intelligent control of industrial processes being conducted at [University name]'s Department of Mechanical Engineering.

I aim to contribute in creating mechatronic systems make manual work easier, improve the safety of workers involved, and help the physically challenged. As my first venture into research, I undertook a research project under my mentor, Dr. XYZ. The problem that my research addressed was the tailgating on major highways in the country. .[small project description]. The research project opened my eyes to many such problems that can be overcome by using mechatronic systems and gave me the incentive to pursue research in this field.

[University name]'s Master's program is the perfect fit for me given the research being done by several professors. If admitted, I would be most interested in working with Prof. XXX because of his work in intelligent controls and cooperative robotics. I'm also interested in the work on human-robot interaction being done by Prof. XXX and Prof.XXX. My undergraduate course and mechatronics certification have equipped me with the knowledge that will help me excel in my research at your university.

Thank you for considering my application.

Thank you :)
Gurjeet, omit the high school reference. That is not relevant to a masters degree application because the focus of the reviewer is on what you have professionally accomplished in relation to your college degree. Discuss your college accomplishments first, your professional successes second. Those are pertinent information that the reviewer will be interested in knowing about as it indicates how well prepared you are to undertake and complete the requirements of an MS course.

The other parts of your essay are sound and relevant. However, I am not sure if the professor you wish to work with at the university accepts student aides or student research assistants. Most professors don't do so therefore it would be better for your application if you first find out if you can apply as his assistant. Otherwise, it is senseless to mention such a reference in the SOP. Consider instead discussing how you will fully utilize the laboratory, library, and other learning centers and avenues that the university offers in relation to your chosen MS course and future professional goals.

You may want to indicate a reference to the 5 year relevance of your studies to your profession. How do you see yourself contributing to this field over that period of time? Why do you believe that your contribution will be relevant to the industry? Any plans to study a PhD after 5 years? Those would be significant discussion points. Don't over discuss the PhD part though. That should only be your academic goal after 5 years.
OP nanz17 1 / 1  
Thanks a lot for your thorough feedback! I'll make the necessary changes.

Home / Graduate / One page Statement of Purpose for Mechanical Engineering Masters