Open topic essay [graduate program in Human Rights]

leacro /  
I am applying for a graduate program in Human Rights and one of the requirements is an essay on any human rights issue of interest. The only instruction provided is that it should be a 300-word essay.

Now, this is an extremely short writing. I understand that this limit is purposefully set up so that the admission committee can see where our interest lie and, more importantly, how versed are we in presenting a topic concisely in an interesting manner. I am however, having trouble deciding on the subtopic because of this word number constraint. Would you advise to make general essay on a broad topic (which I find somewhat impossible, but also am not sure in the possibility of presenting a wide concern in a unique and interesting manner) or to pick a somewhat unknown/unfamiliar aspect of this issue and try to present it in more depth? Perhaps you have other suggestions?

Lastly, to what extent do you believe I should "include myself" (my standpoint, emotions) given that there is no personal statement requirement for this admission?

Thank you!
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

You ask some very good questions! You are right that the word limit makes for a very short paper--about one page. All you can really do in that space is introduce a topic and make a brief thesis statement, one which will give you the opportunity to express an opinion, simply by the position that you take. You'll then have a paragraph or two to expand on that just a little and another to conclude. I'd advise picking a topic which you feel you can explain adequately within those limits and also take a position on. Don't get into emotional aspects, but do let your standpoint be seen. Thus, you can, in a sense, kill two birds with one stone.

I like the idea of picking a slant which is perhaps less well-known or, if known, confined to a particular region, perhaps. The Kurdish issue in Turkey was the first one that came to my mind, but I am sure you can think of others. That way you don't have more than you can handle in one page. Vague generalities are always less interesting to read about than specific incidents.

I hope this helps get you started!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Graduate / Open topic essay [graduate program in Human Rights]