Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

1 page essay outlining your career objectives for the FNP program

wannabnp 1 / -  
PERSONAL ESSAY

I emigrated from India in November 2005 after my high school, and I was not sure about what profession to choose. After reaching U.S., I was heavily influenced by several nurses in the family and their experiences. Since I always wanted to work with people and for the people, I decided to go for it. It was exciting and scary at the same time when I entered the nursing program in Spring '06. As I advanced through my studies and started working I learned that along with compassion, caring mind and empathy, nursing involves commitment, hard work, and constant learning. Thus, I finished my BS in Nursing and also got certified as a Medical-Surgical Nurse.

Now I want to grow as a professional, gaining knowledge and enhance my skills through the master's program. I have always liked interacting with my patients and it is important for me to develop a rapport with my patients every day. We are privileged to be a part of very personal and emotional situations in people's life and we have a chance to make a positive impact whatever the outcome may be. Working on an acute care setting, from admission till discharge I am constantly teaching the patients about their health conditions and medications, and most of the time not just to them but also to their family members/caretakers. As nurses, we are continually assessing, critically thinking, and advocating for our patients. After working six years I have seen the disparities of health care within different economic settings. I have realized the importance of primary and preventative care, education, and maintenance of care, and becoming an NP I believe, will allow me to deliver it to the needed. Being a nurse, I will be able to empathize with the patients and being an NP will allow me to utilize the autonomy to be their primary care provider and diagnose, prescribe, treat both individuals and families holistically.

By being in the masters program and becoming a Family Nurse Practitioner, I want to be proficient in the earlier mentioned skills and be more involved in health promotion, disease prevention, and maintenance of care. I can specialize in a particular area, which I will be able to figure out during this course period, and do further studies to be adept in it. It will facilitate in working in both acute care and primary care settings.

Home / Graduate / 1 page essay outlining your career objectives for the FNP program