'participating in online artists talks, visiting online galleries' - MA visual arts SOP

MaTa31 2 / 5  
Here I write my statement of purpose for MA visual arts. Below I mention the requirements about statement from art school.

PERSONAL STATEMENT

Please give your reasons for applying to the MA Visual Arts Programme, providing details of particular subject interests, relevant experience or abilities and career options.

The installation artist or textile sculptor career

When I was in BFA, one of my professors repeated a sentence again & again "Do a dialogue with your art work on daily basis". Firstly it seems difficult but once I started it, I realize that curiosity, openness and dialogue are most important things for engaging with art. Moreover, every art even a single dot has its own visual language for every individual, which is different from our normal spoken language. After a while, I have found that art can cause emotions of living beings, especially human, even a solitary emotion can be reason of art. On the other hand, instead of inquiring whether an artwork is good or bad, we should consider a work of art as an opportunity to discover meanings for inner vision. I was astonished by this analysis and that whole investigation was major ground for my interest in visual arts since then. This interest increased when I recognized that in the present world, all kinds of new media, concepts, behavior and devices have entered in the domain of the creative art, demonstrating a whole spectrum of new artistic practices. After enrollment in visual arts, I wish to assimilate new input and perspectives beneficial to my future artistic creation.

Being a textile artist, my recent work is an exploration and representation of organic forms. Their mystic transformation into complex patterns and surfaces always appealed me a lot. Experiments are simple but have visual detail in it. When I am creating I enjoy exploring how my ideas can grow throughout the making process, in specific the close connection between materials, processes, concepts and creative thinking. Given that textiles is such a tactile medium it allows me to think with my hands, as the feeling of cloth, fiber and thread under my fingers gives me the feedback I need while creating and helps to further my concepts and ideas. Stitch by stitch I create with the replication of small pattern units designed from shredded gauze fabric. This work has been published in Textile Artist Organization, London and Textiles magazine by Art Wear Publications, Australia.

So far on my foundation in BFA I experimented with various creative possibilities through different approaches, materials, media and techniques including fibers, sculptures, weaving, tapestries, photography etc. My current work is the result of previous trials and which grown up step by step. Since February 2015, I am working with an art gallery as a fine artist. This job expands my knowledge about different cultures, history and architecture of the world as well as my painting skills and developed my understanding about color, light and shadow, balance and weight, and composition. Furthermore, I am freelancer writer at Textiles Fiber forum, Australia. Keeping in touch with this art community is vital for me, it is a community where no matter where you live or whatever your background, you can meet with like-minded people to interact with and discus views ,exchange ideas learn new things, find new contemporary artists and see new exhibitions.

Engaging in what happening within the art world today is also beneficial to my work, living in Faisalabad has not given me ample opportunity to visit galleries. So, I always tried to participate in online artists talks on different forums, visit online galleries and artists. I have also attended few online workshops.

If I take a look on my future career then I found myself as an installation artist or textile sculptor in galleries or other public places.
Meerhat, I'd like to help enhance your essay, here are my thoughts.

- When I was in BFA( what does BFA stand for ) ,
- one of my professors repeated a sentence again & again( repeat is synonym to "again & again", refrain from using symbols on your essay such as "&")

- Firstly it seems difficult but once I started it,

- So far on my foundation in BFA( you have established the foundation of your education, no need to highlight them again )

- Engaging in whats happening within the art world today is also beneficial to my work,
- So, I always tried
- If I take a look onat my future career, ( don't forget your punctuation marks )then I found myself as an installation artist or textile sculptor in galleries or other public places.

Meerhat, art for me is a very interesting field, I haven't taken in - depth classes due to my geographical location as well however this did not stop me from honing my craft, I do arts and craft to market in fund raising and some craft exhibits and like you I never stop learning and exploring.

I made a few corrections on your essay, you just forgot a few add ons on your essay but overall, it's written well.
OP MaTa31 2 / 5  
Thank you @justivy03
I have correct all the mistakes but I still feel something is missing in it.

I have added some more sentences like
This job expands my knowledge about different cultures, history and architecture of the world as well as my painting skills and developed my understanding about color, light and shadow, balance and weight, and composition

These lines on end
My intention is to put my heart into the experiences and education that I can receive at the School of Visual Arts, because making art in a surrounding that will push me forward is one step closer to pursuing my first and only dream of becoming a visual artist.
Mawra, there is a very important aspect of your statement of purpose that you did not opt to develop further even though it is an integral part of the prompt response. I refer to the following quote from your essay:

After enrollment in visual arts, I wish to assimilate new input and perspectives beneficial to my future artistic creation.

Remember that when you present your statement of purpose, you need to be highly specific regarding how the program you are wishing to study will benefit your future career. So instead of simply saying that your studies will be beneficial to your artistic creation in the future, expand upon that discussion. That thought should be a stand alone paragraph that immediately follows your introductory paragraph. You need to provide a connection between your current academic accomplishments, work experience, and your future career goals and this will be the best way to do that. Reviewers actually expect to read such developed topics in your SOP so it should not be reduced to a mere one liner / sentence.

All other topics that you discussed in the essay really provides a strong foundation for your interests and shows the various ways that you would be a masters degree student asset at their university. The weakest part of your essay are you last 2 paragraphs that indicate:

If you replace these paragraphs with a single paragraph regarding how you will assimilate the new input and use it to enhance your future success, you should be able to provide a stronger career goal for your future.
OP MaTa31 2 / 5  
Thank you so much for your comment.
Here I have added a paragraph according to your suggestion. Is this ok? or need some more improvement

After enrollment in visual arts, I wish to assimilate new input and perspectives beneficial to my future artistic creation without fear of scrutiny or ridicule. This program gives me a platform where I can represent inner-expression and thoughts in front of society through my art instead of words. The exciting part is it will give me freedom of mediums, experiments & concepts. It also engaged me in what happening within the art world today. In future, I am seeing myself in art galleries as a visual artist in textiles media with traditional techniques. Do Ho Suh's silk architectures, Peter Gentenaar's paper sculptures, Faig Ahmad contemporary carpets, Afroz Amigi's and Ayesha Khalid's installations are encouraged me for this.

I am waiting for your reply
Mawra, that is a very good addition to the essay. Do you know where you plan to position it in the essay? I don't feel like it should be placed at the beginning of the essay as I originally suggested. I believe that it will better suit your purpose and create an impression if you use it as your closing paragraph instead. Of course, that is just my suggestion and you can actually position the paragraph anywhere you want within the essay :-)

Now for some minor editing just to make the paragraph sound better when the reviewer reads it :-)

Do Ho Suh's silk architectures, Peter Gentenaar's paper sculptures, Faig Ahmad contemporary carpets, Afroz Amigi's and Ayesha Khalid's installations ARE MY INSPIRATIONS FOR MY ART AND INFLUENCE MY CURRENT AND FUTURE WORK.

I hope you won't mind that I edited some parts of your essay just to emphasize some parts or make some portions more impressive :-)
OP MaTa31 2 / 5  
Thank you your help is really appreciated. You are so kind.
Editing and placement of paragraph is best. I hope it will engaged the viewer. :)

Home / Graduate / 'participating in online artists talks, visiting online galleries' - MA visual arts SOP