The perspective of a biochemist (Personal Statement)

mau5man 1 / -  
Hello everyone!
As the title says, I'm a biochemistry major applying to Ph.D. programs in biochemistry/molecular biology. I am pretty satisfied with my essay thus far, but think I want to add in more of a personal touch somewhere towards the beginning that better conveys my passion and drive to conduct research in biochemistry and will set me apart from all the thousands of other applicants. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions and am very grateful for you input. Thanks!

Although my fascination with biochemistry is rooted in my academic study, its seeds were planted long before. I still remember the childhood awe I felt exploring the creeks and shaded oak tree valleys growing up in Agoura Hills, California. Encountering such natural wonders firsthand fostered my fascination with the unknown and encompassed an appreciation for the remarkable tapestry created by interactions and adaptations of a biological world. This early captivation with the natural world, enhanced by a mature academic understanding of chemistry and biochemistry, has shaped my worldview and cemented my passion and drive to obtain a Ph.D. in the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Program at the University of California, Los Angeles. My interest in biochemistry has always been a real world interest, and my academic interest is likewise fueled by the imperativeness of the subject and the crucial role it plays in our everyday lives. The part I play as a biochemist in bringing to the world's attention the implications of current health practices, various diseases, and living processes is, to my mind, the definitive example of the fundamental relevance of biochemical studies. How society faces challenges, seemingly insurmountable, and perhaps more pressing than we have ever faced, is something that I strive to be at the forefront of as a research scientist.

My career goal is to become the principal investigator of my own laboratory and help lead scientists to new discoveries that may benefit as many people as possible. In order to reach my goal, I am striving to acquire as much experience as possible. I decided to minor in business management in order to acquire managerial skills that will form a strong basis for a successful laboratory. In July of 2010, I was accepted into the National Institutes of Health funded Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC) program at San Diego State University. As a MARC scholar, I have access to many programs and resources designed to help develop and prepare underrepresented students in the pursuit of graduate training leading to the Ph.D. degree in the biomedical sciences. The MARC program has greatly stimulated my interest and motivation to become a research scientist.

As a very creative, hands-on, and determined individual, it is clear that biochemistry is a perfect fit for me. These strengths have blossomed through many firsthand research experiences. I began my current research experience as an undergraduate researcher in Dr. Christopher Harrison's analytical and bioanalytical chemistry laboratory at SDSU in July of 2009. Our project focuses on the development and optimization of a low-cost home built laser-induced fluorescence detector for capillary electrophoresis separations (CE-LIF). This CE-LIF instrument provides excellent separation and identification of a wide spectrum of analytes, including organic and inorganic anions, small particles, biomolecules and macromolecules. We are beginning a project using the instrument for capillary electrophoretic separations to detect blood transfusions and hemoglobin based oxygen carriers, doping agents used by many athletes. This project has required me to explore disciplines outside of biochemistry, and has given me experience with engineering and physics. I have been able to design circuits necessary to run a high voltage power supply and create virtual instruments using LabView software, which is used to control various components of the instrument. This project provides me with great laboratory skills and is an important part of my overall exposure to research.

I also began an internship at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California. I joined the laboratory of Dr. Michael Petrashcheck in the department of chemical physiology in April of 2010. Since joining, I developed a protocol for a caenorhabditis elegans liquid lifespan assay in 96-well microtiter plates. This protocol was recently published in the Journal of Visual Experiments. The assay is used for the rapid identification of small molecules that extend lifespan in c. elegans. Using this procedure, life-extending small molecules can be found and used as probes to investigate the molecular connection between aging and age-related diseases. Recently, I have started a project that focuses on finding the biochemical and biological machinery required for a specific life-extending small molecule to function. I am using mutant c. elegans strains and molecular biology techniques such as primer design, PCR, and sequencing to achieve this.

An enriching part of my research exposure was having the opportunity to conduct research outside of the San Diego area this past summer. The University of Oregon Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) was an excellent opportunity for me to experience a new research setting. Working in Dr. Victoria DeRose's bioinorganic chemistry laboratory, I was able to utilize and apply my previous skills and knowledge while receiving a copious amount of new knowledge. My summer project focused on investigating the folding and function of a fast-cleaving artificial hammerhead ribozyme, named RzB. Understanding how ribozymes function may help contribute to future therapeutic uses. I used single-fold kinetic experiments and fluorescently labeled the RzB sequence for quench-folding studies in order to determine why this ribozyme cleaved in abnormally low metal concentrations at fast rates. This allowed me to delve into an inspiring new aspect of biochemistry that I had little knowledge of before. Another influential part of SPUR was being able to interact with a diverse group of interns. Diversity in science is a very crucial aspect that I cherish. I have been privileged to experience a large amount of diversity in science at SDSU and at The Scripps Research Institute. By working with a wide variety of people from different backgrounds, many of my research problems were approached in unique and effective ways.

Along with my wide-range of research experiences, I have been able to participate in a variety of science related events. In March of 2011, I presented a poster of my SDSU undergraduate research at the SDSU Student Research Symposium. I also gave an oral presentation of my SPUR research at the University of Oregon Undergraduate Research Symposium in August of 2011. Furthermore, I will be giving another oral presentation of my SPUR research at the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students in November of 2011. In addition to presenting, I have attended many conferences and seminars that have helped me mature as a scientist and have kept me up to date with what is current in my field.

As a motivated, hard-working and open-minded individual, I know the UCLA BMB graduate program will be mutually beneficial. It would be advantageous to apply my knowledge of aging research to the research of Dr. Steven Clarke's laboratory. I find it fascinating that Dr. Clarke is conducting aging research with the knowledge that enzymatic recognition of damage is a more general response of cells to molecular damage. I would also be very interested in tackling the research questions proposed in Dr. James Bowie's laboratory. A better understanding of membrane protein structure would greatly improve our knowledge for drug targeting, and bioenergy development is a very challenging but applicable solution to environmental problems seen today.

I relish the opportunity to immerse myself in the university life and research displayed at UCLA and am eagerly awaiting the challenges that both bring. I know I will be able to effectively apply my knowledge and skills to pursue the strong mission of UCLA graduate education. I have a great desire to continue adding on to the outstanding achievements of biochemistry and molecular biology research at UCLA and to help achieve goals in research widely shared across the world.
I know I will be able to effectively apply my knowledge and skills to pursue the strong mission of UCLA graduate education.---There is something about this sentence that bothers me, though I have not had coffee yet today, and can't quite put my finger on the problem. But this is actually one of the best essays I've read, clear, well written, and it shows how serious you are about your studies, and you passion for learning. They'll be lucky to have you as a student. Your last paragraph is especially great, where you mention professors by name!

If this were my essay though, and I wanted to make it perfect, I would consider leaving out the first paragraph. I know, it sounds like I'm suggesting murder, but try looking at it from paragraph 2...it gets right to the point and is a stronger opening.

I'd say good luck in school, but I don't think you'll need luck. Have fun though!

:)

Home / Graduate / The perspective of a biochemist (Personal Statement)