PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences (Rejected for the last time when applied)

kdajin 1 / 1  
PERSONAL STATEMENT
I still amaze at the little wonders medicine did to me when I suffered from a wound to completely getting cured from the fatigue of Jaundice. As a growing kid whenever my parents said "Let's meet a doctor", I thought to myself the doctor would diagnose my disease but ultimately it's the medicine that helps us. Because in my naive opinion at my young age I got relief from my pain and disease only after I took the medications prescribed by my doctor. I later realized that patients rely on doctors and doctors rely on pharmacist who prepare and dispense the medications. This naive opinion turned to intense passion, to take this passion to higher level I scored 94% in chemistry and 82% in biology in my higher secondary and opted for Pharmacy as my career in my undergraduation.

I followed my dream and I enrolled in Vels College of Pharmacy for my under graduation. I got involved with subjects like Physical pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Dosage forms and Formulative pharmacy. It was indeed very enriching to learn about different Formulations, Regulatory affairs, Pharmacokinetics, Quality assurance and Intellectual property in the core area of academics. In my pre-final year I was a given a challenge to prove my passion towards pharmacy. An elocution competition was conducted on the topic "Regulatory Role of Pharmacist in Maintaining the Safety and Efficacy of Medicines" for the entire Pharmacy College which included both Undergraduates and Postgraduates. This was a huge challenge for me as I am not only competing with my classmates but also with my mighty post graduates in pharmacy. I discussed about the different roles of pharmacist in health care like Medical information, Government affairs, Pharmacovigilance, Regulatory affairs, Sales, Marketing and I specially mentioned about Pharmaceutical care in detail, for which I won the competition.

In my final year of my bachelor's degree I submitted "A Review article on Antimicrobial Resistance", here I discussed about the causes, diagnosis, treatment, prevention of antimicrobial resistance, specific resistance to drugs of sulfonamides, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, tetracylcin etc. and there are certain resistance markers like aminoglycoside markers and tetracycline markers used in microbiology by which antimicrobial resistance can be cured. I also mentioned significant details on development of new drugs like antibiotic myxopyronin and phage therapy involved in treatment of the resistance. I gave a poster presentations in my undergraduation on "Ask your Pharmacist: For Safe use of Prescription Medicines", in my personal experience there are very few people in India who are aware of Pharmacist, my theme was to represent myself and several other pharmacist in healthcare and to create awareness to the public.

During my undergraduation I was eager about the role of a Pharmacist in the pharmacy shop in providing responses to patients, physician enquiries and dispensing. As I had a long summer holiday this time in final year, I took this opportunity as an advantage and I worked for a retail Pharmacy shop as an apprentice for a month on May 2009. I felt myself proud on being a Pharmacist at that time.

With the recent advent of Indian Pharmaceutical companies like Ranbaxy and Dr.Reddy's Laboraties entering the global markets and having realised the scope for further my learning in this field I decided to pursue my Masters degree in Pharmaceutics and I continued my studies in Vels University. In my post graduation I formulated Matrix tablets, Microspheres, Transdermal patches and Solid dispersions. I certainly gained an in-depth knowledge in advanced drug delivery systems and pharmacokinetic studies. Also in my Masters in Pharmaceutics, I gave a poster presentation as a delegate in MHIP, Delhi on "Pharmacogenomics". The potential is enormous for Pharmacogenomics to yield a powerful set of molecular diagnostics that will become routine tools by which pharmacists and physicians select the proper medications and doses for each individual patient. In the coming decades, pharmacists are expected to become more integral within the health care system. Rather than simply dispensing medication, pharmacists will be paid for their patient care skills.

My experience in master's degree with my research project in Matrix tablets, gave me an insight into different formulation methods, incompatibilities and the process involved in New Drug Development. The latest study on sustained release dosage forms continue to draw attention in the search for improved patient compliance and decreased incidence of adverse drug reactions. Sustained release technology research in the field has been extremely fertile and has produced many discoveries. Aceclofenac is an NSAID (Non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug), formulation of matrix tablets of the drug may prolong the therapeutic concentration of drug in blood and will improve the efficacy and patient compliance and also the dosing frequency can be reduced. Usage of natural polymers will improve the sustained release of drug and the cost can be reduced ultimately. Hence, in my research project I formulated Aceclofenac Matrix Tablets by using Natural Polymers. This research project kindled me a passion for extensive research in Pharmaceutics. This triggered me to pursue my dream to do PhD in Pharmaceutical sciences.

Apart from academics, I had an interest in mimicry. I performed as a mimicry artist in college cultural events and won prizes. My stage presence has given me the confidence to stand and perform in front of thousand people during my college days, I had also participated and won prizes in several other cultural events. I am left handed batsman in cricket and I play gully cricket and have won so many tournaments. In sports I represented my school in KHO-KHO, Marathon and Badminton.

All these years I learned many different things about life and my profession. I became a successful student only because of my professors who made their students to be successful future pharmacists including me. After five years I want to see myself as an erudite in Pharmaceutical sciences and to provide the next generation Pharmacists in my hometown just like my professors. I have set my unwavering focus in the field of Pharmaceutical sciences and can state with confidence that an opportunity to follow my academic interests will render a fresh perspective to my pursuits. I believe in my potentials to become a successful researcher and I can blend and adapt myself to any environment.

When I was looking for opportunities to make myself a successful researcher I found no other platform as good as United States of America, USA has given many numbers of scholars their lifelong dream in research and I strongly feel there is a good scope to enhance my knowledge, work towards the development of my field and make a strong impression of mine in this very field. Doing a research in my profession will make me more knowledgeable than before, and I would have wide opportunities to stand tall in the society as a much respected health care professional.

Virginia Commonwealth University offers extensive research works in Pharmaceutics. There are several hands on workshops in Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic models offered regularly by Dr.Venitz and the School of Pharmacy also has the Centre for Drug Studies (CDS) in clinical studies for the development of new drugs and new drug delivery systems. This made me to choose VCU as my destiny for PhD program. I am so thankful to Ms.Sarah Young, who spent her valuable time in helping me through the application process and also to Ms.Susanna Wu-Pong who educated me about Virginia Commonwealth University. If I was given an opportunity to pursue PhD in VCU, I will take that as my first step and give my best shot every single time to become an outstanding graduate student. I would love to work under Dr.Venitz, whose research work in "The Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Warfarin in combination with Ambrisentan in healthy volunteers" and his ongoing research works in Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic models inspired me a lot. I am also interested to work with Dr. Philip M. Gerk, his research work in "Role of Placental ATP-Binding Cassette (ABC) Transporters in Antiretroviral Therapy during Pregnancy", gave me an extensive knowledge about Anti-Retroviral Therapy used to treat HIV patients. I believe this is the most effective method of transforming a promising student my age into a largely independent researcher making significant original contributions. I may not be the most talented individual, but I won't stop until I achieve my goals. I may have few just accolades in my arsenal but I will work hard with my potentials to be the better man every single time.

(AJAY VIJAYAKUMAR)
DaniahA 1 / 2  
Hi, I am a pharmacist too. I think You should work more on your introduction. You make it look like the doctors are useless while you should show it as a complete cooperation between them. Since you are applying to a PhD degree you can get rid of this introduction since you are required to present less personal essay and more specific about your research and scientific work and your future goals in career.

Good Luck
OP kdajin 1 / 1  
Hi daniah thanks a lot for your suggestion, i would like to share my other statements with you and get some guidance, i will be applying for fall 2013 and I am having very less amount of time. can you provide me ur email id? so i could communicate even better.

Home / Graduate / PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences (Rejected for the last time when applied)