PhD - Social Work Research

kdm504 1 / 8  
Please review my SOP. Any constructive feedback is appreciated. Thank you in advance. kdm

3-4 pages to include:
-influences that led to PhD
-why this particular school; fit b/w plans and school mission/goals
-social problem or area of interest
-how a PhD will help me achieve my career goals
-special skills/abilities, strengths/limitations
-how said abilities will contribute to my development as a SW researcher

Social Work Research

Eager to start my undergraduate career, I could hardly contain my fear and excitement. During my first semester of college, I made my first 'D'. I then realized how unprepared I was to meet the demands of the university. Instinctively, I turned to my father's words for encouragement.

My most vivid memories as a child involve lying for hours opposite from my father on our sofa reading books. "Never stop reading. Read everything. That is how you will succeed," he said to me one day. The deliberateness of his tone made me know I was to always remember those words.

My father's untimely death occurred when I was only 11 years old, but my memories of our special times together, and his instruction to never cease reading, remain implanted in my mind. I recall being deeply engrossed in my books, lost somewhere between reality and the world in which the characters dwelled. What began as a way to spend quality time with my father, emerged into an adoration and enthusiasm for books, reading, and learning.

The pleasure I derive from learning new information has made it easier for me to heed my father's words, which I broadened to include any endeavor I set out to accomplish. My quest for knowledge fuels my desire to further my education through doctoral studies. It has allowed me to break familial cycles, including teen pregnancy and dropping out of high school. My resolve and determination to achieve my father's goals for me, while setting new educational standards for my family, has led me on a journey of learning and self discovery which only intensified when I walked onto the University

[ ] campus as a freshman.

Freshman year proved to be complicated. With no footsteps in which to follow, I had to discern the complex college system on my own. The most difficult aspect of college life that initial semester was the coursework. My grades declined, but I was not deterred. I knew my academic success rested with me and would require increased effort on my part. I was up for the challenge and began to blaze my own trail.

During sophomore year, my life took an unexpected turn when I decided to join the military. As a member of the [ ] National Guard, I had to learn to coexist with individuals from different backgrounds, working cooperatively to achieve a common goal. My father's words of persistence helped me during physical training at the crack of dawn and while digging foxholes under the sweltering sun. The Army values which remain with me, particularly respect, selfless service, and personal courage, as well as the discipline I acquired, have proven beneficial in my personal and professional life.

These values were put to the test years later when I was ordered to active duty only days before my graduation. My journey was about to take me to another part of the world. My unit was to spend the next 14 months at war in Balad, Iraq, an unfamiliar country and culture. Prayer, discipline, and courage brought me safely through convoys on roads riddled with improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and suicide bombers. The year I spent in Iraq was the most difficult of my life - personal relationships were strained and broken, my immediate plans for graduate school were delayed, and I was pushed to my mental and physical limits. My tour in Iraq taught me the power of prayer; the value of human life; and that I am mentally and physically stronger and more capable than I ever imagined.

The joy I felt upon my safe return home from Iraq was only surpassed by my admittance into the [ ] School of Social Work. I was ready to begin the next phase of my journey. However, this excitement was short-lived. After only three days of class, Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast and my unit was once again called to serve. Graduate school would have to wait another year as my fellow soldiers and I helped rescue residents trapped on rooftops and distribute water and food to shelters. Amidst all of the flooded homes and scattered families, my father's words resounded within me, and I knew I would find my way back to the classroom.

When I started graduate school at [ ], my contract with the Army had expired. I could focus on my studies without the looming threat of deployment. Each day of class reaffirmed my desire to be a social worker and my commitment to the profession. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the origins of social work, the evolution of social policies, and eagerly anticipated utilizing the theories and interventions discussed in the classroom at my internships.

I acquired research experience through the various coursework at [ ] in which I developed research proposals, collected and interpreted data using SPSS, and reported my findings. I completed a service-learning project which focused on increasing program effectiveness by collecting data utilizing a combination of interviews and surveys and literature review on program effectiveness. With the findings, I created a guide for the agency where I interned. Group research included a collaborative effort with an [ ] professor and fellow graduate students to complete a service learning project in which we designed and implemented a quantitative survey assessing the quality of life among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered (LGBT) individuals living in the [ ] community. I was also involved in recruiting participants, analyzing the data, and presenting our findings to a community partner. As a graduate assistant for two [ ] professors, I performed data entry and analysis, completed literature reviews, and reported findings. Specifically, I assisted with work on [ ]. I was responsible for updating and maintaining multiple spreadsheets containing Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) policy data from The Urban Institute, Welfare Rules Database.

My leadership skills also blossomed while in graduate school. During my first year, I became involved in the [ ] Student Chapter of the National Association of Black Social Workers. As Vice-President, I was instrumental in recruitment efforts and community outreach. The following year as President, I expanded upon prior efforts by extending membership to all students, increasing social activities and fundraising, and collaborating with other social work organizations to allay the evident racial tension within the school. For example, in honor of Black History Month, I gave a presentation to the Social Work Student Association on African American (AA) Social Workers who made major contributions to the profession. I also organized and co-facilitated a diversity forum to discuss modern-day racism, specifically what became known as the 'Jena Six' case. As a member of the Black Graduate and Professional Student Association, I was able to extend my network to include persons from other disciplines. As a leader, the satisfaction I garnered from taking initiative, responsibility and committing to a job well done was enhanced. I was able to sharpen my professional skills and abilities which serve me well as I continue my life's journey.

As the first college graduate of a nontraditional, low-income family from [ ], I know all too well the long-lasting, negative effects of an insufficient education, more commonly, teen pregnancy, substance abuse, and chronic poverty. Through my experience in a substandard public school system, I realize that outcomes can be grim for those lacking education and who are ill-prepared for life's many challenges. My father knew this, and fortunately passed this invaluable information on to me early. Unquestionably, learning and knowledge bring about access and opportunity, which greatly increase one's life choices and chances. This compels me to be more involved in improving our country's educational system.

I am most interested in urban education and investigating factors that influence AA student achievement, particularly, parental involvement, socioeconomic status, cultural competency in the classroom and AA families. By studying the various factors that affect student success, I want to identify areas for improvement and explore more effective and innovative ways to close the achievement gap and ensure AA youth are adequately educated. Until students' achievement levels parallel their life ambitions, more research and other proactive measures are necessary to reform education in America.

The values, discipline, and motivation instilled in me as a result of my life experiences and education have adequately prepared me for doctoral studies. Acquiring my PhD will allow me to improve upon my analytical and research skills by obtaining substantive, methodological training. My goal is to conduct research and disseminate knowledge that will further the social work profession as a professor or researcher for a social welfare institution. Through my research, I want to identify new approaches to increase the graduation rates of AA youth, develop programs that support students' learning and growth, and contribute to social and educational policies and practices.

The University's [ ] emphasis on and commitment to, diversity and racial and economic equality are of utmost importance to me. I am excited about the research initiatives and opportunities at the [Research] Center, specifically as they relate to addressing educational disparities. My interests are closely related to Dr. [ ] work on race and children's academic outcomes. I would also be interested in working with Dr. [ ] and the [ ] and Dr. [ ] whose research aims to improve AA high school achievement. For these reasons and more, the School of Social Work is an ideal place for me to continue my education. It is my hope that as I embark upon this next phase of my journey, you will allow me to do so at your prestigious program.
The first eight paragraphs, as they stand, don't really have much to do with the topics you are supposed to be writing on. You want to touch on the experiences that influenced you to take a PhD, of course, but you don't need to provide such a long autobiography, or talk about your father, your love or reading, or your struggles with your undergrad. Your military experiences, while interesting, don't seem to have much to do with your interest in social work. If I were you, I'd start over and write an essay much more focused on your PhD aspirations, making sure everything ties back immediately and directly to them in some way.
OP kdm504 1 / 8  
I was thinking the same... Wanted a second opinion. Thanks!
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I suspect that what you did was just start writing. Instead, first brainstorm answers to each of these points and then arrange those into an outline. Only then should you start writing.
OP kdm504 1 / 8  
social work 2

Revised this essay to more closely follow school's guidelines. All feedback is appreciated.

-influences that led to PhD
-social problem or area of interest
- how a PhD will help me achieve my career goals

My introduction to the field of social work was not a pleasant one. Growing up, social workers and counselors were a constant in our household. I remember always feeling like they weren't doing enough to address my family's needs. My siblings and I would often discuss our disappointment with the current services with statements that began, "If I were a social worker, I would..." Those conversations and feelings of dissatisfaction with social work stayed with me through high school, which is when I changed my career choice from lawyer to social worker. I wanted to do all I believed my family's social workers hadn't done to improve the lives of others.

As an undergraduate, I majored in sociology with a psychology minor. With no footsteps in which to follow, I had to discern the complex college system on my own. The most difficult aspect of college life that initial semester was the coursework. My grades declined, but I was not deterred. I knew my academic success rested with me and would require increased effort on my part. I was up for the challenge and began to blaze my own trail.

To help pay for my college expenses, I decided to join the National Guard. In addition to funding, I gained unique experiences, coexisting with individuals from different backgrounds, working cooperatively to achieve a common goal. The military also provided me the opportunity to simultaneously pursue a degree in business. With determination and hard work, I was successful, professionally and academically.

My immediate plans for graduate school were put on hold when only days before my graduation, I was called to active duty. My unit spent the next 14 months at war in Balad, Iraq. Upon my return home, graduate school was again delayed as my unit was called to serve in response to Hurricane Katrina. By the time I started graduate school at [ ], my contract with the Army had expired and I could focus on my studies without the looming threat of deployment. Each day of class during graduate study at [ ] reaffirmed my desire to be a social worker and my commitment to the profession. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the origins of social work, the evolution of social policies, and eagerly anticipated utilizing the theories and interventions discussed in the classroom at my internships.

I acquired research experience through the various coursework in which I developed research proposals, collected and interpreted data using SPSS, and reported my findings. I completed a service-learning project which focused on increasing program effectiveness by collecting data utilizing a combination of interviews and surveys and an extensive literature review on program effectiveness. With the findings, I created a guide intended to improve the effectiveness and outcomes of the various programs offered at the agency where I interned.

Group research included a collaborative effort with a professor and fellow graduate students to complete another service learning project in which we designed and implemented a quantitative survey assessing the quality of life among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered (LGBT) individuals living in the community. I was also involved in recruiting participants, analyzing the data, and presenting our findings to a community partner. As a graduate assistant for two professors, I performed data entry and analysis, completed literature reviews, and reported findings. Specifically, I assisted with work on the Poverty Initiative which aims to alleviate poverty in the mid-south region. I was responsible for updating and maintaining multiple spreadsheets containing Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) policy data from The Urban Institute, Welfare Rules Database.

My leadership skills also blossomed while in graduate school. During my first year, I became involved in the Student Chapter of the National Association of Black Social Workers. As Vice-President, I was instrumental in recruitment efforts and community outreach. The following year as President, I expanded upon prior efforts by extending membership to all students, increasing social activities and fundraising, and collaborating with other social work organizations to allay the evident racial tension within the school. For example, in honor of Black History Month, I gave a presentation to the Social Work Student Association on African American (AA) Social Workers who made major contributions to the profession. I also organized and co-facilitated a diversity forum to discuss modern-day racism, specifically what became known as the 'Jena Six' case. As a member of the Black Graduate and Professional Student Association, I was able to extend my network to include persons from other disciplines and further hone my leadership and professional skills by serving on multiple committees within the organization. As a leader, the satisfaction I garnered from taking initiative, responsibility and committing to a job well done was enhanced.

Upon completion of my Master's degree, I was eager to begin my career and utilize the knowledge and skills I had acquired in graduate school. I accepted a position at a mental health clinic counseling children and adolescents with mental, emotional, and behavioral issues, and their families.

In addition to counseling families, I, along with the only other Family Preservation Program (FPP) social worker, was tasked by my supervisor to, in essence, recreate the program. The FPP had been only sporadically staffed and lacked specific, concrete guidelines. With little from which to start, we developed program policies and procedures, from the initial referral to a follow-up survey in which families indicate their level of satisfaction with the services received. The changes were approved and presented to staff during a clinical development meeting. Management, pleased with our work in the FPP, then asked us to create or improve upon, and facilitate, other clinic components including a formal weekly presentation orienting new clients to the clinic, and an ongoing, two-series parent training workshop.

Early on, I recognized a trend among my clients: most, if not all, had been kept back or failed a grade prior to high school. This was quite alarming to me. I realize that a mental illness can negatively affect a child's schooling, and extended my services to include collaborating with teachers and school social workers in an effort to increase my clients' academic outcomes. While the counseling aspect of my job is rewarding, I find that I am most satisfied when involved in program development or facilitating workshops in the clinic. I especially enjoy working with other professionals to create effective plans of action to improve my clients' success in school.

As the first college graduate of a nontraditional, low-income family from[ ], I know all too well the long-lasting, negative effects of an insufficient education, more commonly, teen pregnancy, substance abuse, and chronic poverty. Through my experience in a substandard public school system, I realize that outcomes can be grim for those lacking education and who are ill-prepared for life's many challenges. Unquestionably, learning and knowledge bring about access and opportunity, which greatly increase one's life choices and chances. This compels me to be more involved in improving our country's educational system.

I desire a career where I can help a large number of people and be continuously challenged and motivated to improve. I believe that the values, discipline, and work ethic instilled in me as a result of my education and professional and life experiences, have adequately prepared me for doctoral studies. Acquiring my PhD will allow me to develop my analytical and research skills by obtaining substantive, methodological training. My goal is to conduct research and disseminate knowledge that will further the social work profession as a professor or researcher for a social welfare institution. Through my research, I want to identify new approaches to increase the graduation rates of AA youth, develop programs that support students' learning and growth, and contribute to social and educational policies and practices, specifically as they relate to urban youth.

The University of Pittsburgh's emphasis on and commitment to, diversity and racial and economic equality are of utmost importance to me. I am excited about the research initiatives and opportunities at the Center on Race and Social Problems, specifically as they relate to addressing educational disparities. My interests are closely related to Dr. Elliot's work on race and children's academic outcomes. I would also be interested in working with Dr. Wallace and the Comm-Univer-City of Pittsburgh Project and Dr. Bangs whose research aims to improve AA high school achievement. For these reasons and more, the School of Social Work is an ideal place for me to continue my education. It is my hope that as I embark upon this next phase of my journey, you will allow me to do so at your prestigious program.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
You've covered all the bases and you are an especially strong candidate. You do a great job of starting with your childhood reflections and moving through to the present, working all of the needed information into the narrative. I'd tighten the narrative a bit, not necessarily by taking out any information but by being as concise as possible in phrasing. The only omission that is curious to me is that you mention tours in Iraq and after Katrina without any mention at all of the emotions that must have accompanied them. You don't need to disclose anything too personal, but it might be worthwhile to acknowledge that these were stressful events for you and that being part of a collective effort in such circumstances has deepened your awareness of the variety of human responses to stress and grief.
OP kdm504 1 / 8  
Thanks, Simone! I wanted to add more about how my military experience affected me, but was unsure if it would be too personal. Your suggestions are appreciated.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
In social work, as in psychology, personal information is more likely to be included (and expected) than in other fields.
If you add more about your military experience, be sure to tie it back in some way to social work. You did a good job of making the details you include more relevant to your application in this draft -- be sure you don't undo that good work in your next one.

I know all too well the long-lasting, negative effects of an insufficient education, more commonly, teen pregnancy, substance abuse, and chronic poverty.

Teen pregnancy is more common than insufficient education? Huh?
OP kdm504 1 / 8  
I was trying to say that those are the more common negative effects of an inadequate education. I can re-word to make it more clear.

As always, your feedback is appreciated.
Ah, I see what you were trying to do now. Try this:

I know all too well how common some of the long-lasting, negative effects of an insufficient education are, such as teen pregnancy, substance abuse, and chronic poverty.
tinamiller1 1 / 2  
EF_Sean that is wonderful feedback and a powerful sentence.
OP kdm504 1 / 8  
Great sentence! Thanks Sean!

Home / Graduate / PhD - Social Work Research